Epic Records:The vanishing label to-be?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr_mjb1960, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die! Thread Starter

I just now noticed...Kansas' "Two For The Show",AC/DC's CD's are being reissued by Columbia,not Epic...is the subsidary on its way out the door at Sony? LET'S HOPE NOT! Epic has been the Right Hand Label of Columbia...To see it discontinued would be disappointing,to say the least!:shake: Michael Boyce

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Weren't Kansas originally on Kirshner?

3. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

Yes. Then the catalog was moved over to CBS Associated, then that later got renamed Epic Associated after Sony took over...

-Aaron

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yes. My Greatest Hits is CBS.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Sony first shuttered the Epic Nashville imprint and shifted the more mainstream artists onto Columbia.

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Wait, I thought this place was all for labels shutting down? :confused:

7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

It's all Sony now anyway - why continue the charade?

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's just sad to see a historical label go.

I even hated it when Sony got rid of the Columbia logo in 1991s.

9. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

:confused: What?

10. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

The label's been flirting with irreverence for quite sometime. There's little symmetry, just hit or miss acts that's not enough. Not shocked about it's reversed fortunes. I did love that orange, lower case E they did in the '70s was one of my favorite logos.

11. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I hope it won't disappear. As a kid I bought so many records that were on the Epic label (mostly the yellow and the orange label from the seventies), so it always brings back a lot of memories when I see it. But zebop is right - over the last twenty years or so it's very hit and miss. And the label doesn't specialize in a certain type of music or a certain level of quality.

BTW. In the EU AC/DC have always been on the Atlantic label. Since when is that different in the US?

And yes, Kansas albums always were on Kirshner (up to 1983 that is) - the vinyl albums for sure, and the early CD issues as well. I don't see Kansas or AC/DC as an Epic act. For me, Epic is connected to Boston, Mother's Finest, Michael Jackson, Cheap Trick, REO Speedwagon etc. But I also remember seventies fixtures like Redbone and Albert Hammond were on the label.

12. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Less than 2 weeks ago, at a warehouse of a company that does business with the company I work for, I saw 4 different pallets of album covers for vinyl. around 1200 sheets each with 2 covers per sheet to be cut and folded. One of them was "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" with the EPIC imprint. The label may be folded into Columbia. The product/logo not right away. What about Pearl Jam? Maybe they'll refuse to leave a la Neil Young at Reprise.

13. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I look at it as it's just the final subsidiary of Columbia to bite the dust. They've been disappearing ever since the early 80's. Kirschner, Jet, Portrait, have been long gone, so this doesnt surprose me at all...

14. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die! Thread Starter

All those eventually folded into the Epic Associated Label,then into Epic....it's almost like the MCA Family folding into the major label in 1972...Uni,Decca,Coral,and so forth,until Uni reappeared,then once again disappeared in 1990.Decca was luckier,reappearing in 1980(On the Back Of Patsy Cline's "Always",but not on the label.that happened 10 years later),and sticking around until today...the only label from the '60's to have staying power from the early MCA days,BTW. Michael Boyce

15. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Pearl Jam already has left. Their most recent album was on J Records.

16. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Since the most recent remasters came out. In the US, the earliest AC/DC albums were on Atco, but most of the rest were on Atlantic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.