Blood Sweat & Tears MFSL SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mdekoning, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdekoning

mdekoning Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anybody heard these 2 MFSL SACDs?

Blood Sweat & Tears (UDSACD 2009)
    Blood Sweat & Tears 3 (UDSACD 2013)

My dad is a huge BS&T fan and he's recently bought an SACD player. Are these titles good enough to convince him that SACDs don't need to be 5.1 surround to be great? Also, what's the packaging like? The packaging of his original Columbia CDs is pretty poor.

2. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I have the first one and consider it a 'must-have'. It sounds great. The packaging mirrors the Legacy reissue from a few years ago, although it has a proper stapled booklet instead of a flimsy fold-out panel.

:cheers:

3. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I have BS&T 3 and it's sonics are excellent. Not a strong album though.

Have not bought the S/T MFSL SACD because I own both the Sony SACD and the MFSL Gold and think they both sound great to me.

4. mdekoning

mdekoning Senior Member Thread Starter

Does it have lyrics, liner notes, etc? I'm not familiar with the packaging of the Legacy reissue, the only version I know is the original European Columbia CD.

5. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

It has liner notes - commentary written in 2000, plus credits. I have an original lp and there were no lyrics for this release.

6. KAD

KAD Forum Resident

I have both s/t and 3. And both are great! Can't be wrong with either!:righton:

7. budlyte

budlyte Forum Resident

I have both titles as well. Both sound great.

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Just one man's opinion...It was a great underrated album! :righton:

9. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I have both titles, as well as the Sony Legacy SACD of the s/t album. The MFSLs both sound great and the s/t better than the Sony. Although it is true that BST3 is not as strong as the s/t one, I also find it great.

Check out a (downsampled) sound clip of the song "Lucretia MacEvil" from the BST3 MFSL SACD: http://www.mediafire.com/?9g31nlzsu28

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I need to get BST 3.

11. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Did the s/t ever sound anything but great? All versions I've heard from the Sony remaster to the original vinyl all sound fantastic. A winner whatever version you choose!

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Anders is right (unless you count the Chew-Bops edition ;))!

I'm entirely satisfied with my MOFI gold Redbook, I feel no need for the SACD! (3 on SACD, on the other hand, was a must-buy!)

13. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

Maybe it has been a while since I listened to them but I remember the original LP sounding much better than the MoFi Ultradisc II. Do you have that version or an earlier edition?

I also felt that the 3 was a must buy on SACD. I think that a lot of people have issues with 3 simply because of the truly awful "Symphony for the Devil". The rest of the choices for cover material on that album are excellent.

Used to have a cassette that deleted "Symphony..." and it made for a much more pleasurable listening experience. Feeds into one of my favorite sayings when it comes to albums "sometimes less is more"! :)

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have the Sony SACD of BS&T and the MFSL 3.

BST3 is really, really good both musically and sonically. Does it add to the same creativity as the 2nd LP? No.

15. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Amen my friend, amen. 40,000 Headmen makes the album alone for me.

16. JMCIII

Yes you do. Now drop everything and order it!!!

17. JMCIII

Really, I found the Mo-Fi to sound quite a bit better than the Sony. Shawn Britton did an excellent job. When I spoke to him about it he said it was an easy job since they were able to do a straight transfer - no mucking about. Sounds it too.

18. Last Saturday evening, my friend and I were listening to BS&T 3 LP (original Columbia pressing) on his Linn, and he was so amazed at how great it sounded, he insisted on taking possession of my copy (fortunately, it was an extra, so I was more than glad to let him have it). I would have to say it was underrated, even though it wasn't a big hit album like the self titled "Blood Sweat and Tears" that came before.

19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Funny this was here, as I was ripping BS&T to my iPod while I skimmed here. I only have 3 on SACD, as I already had the MoFi gold for s/t and the Masterdisk for Child. Have to agree with you on the cover. The OP of 3 was on that cheap-o bordered label like they used on There's a Riot Going On.

20. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Just got a MFSL redbook from Amazon for $16.

21. ditto :righton:

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I've had both BST MoFi's for awhile but never got around to listening to the S/T end to end until this week.

Geez, what a great album musically and sonically:edthumbs:

23. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Has any one compared the earlier MFSL of Blood, Sweat & Tears to the later hybrid SACD version? I just picked up the SACD today and am wondering if there's any reason at all to hang on to the earlier version. Removing MFSL CDs from my collection seems heretical, like disposing of DCC gold CDs, but this seems to be one example where the earlier version has been rendered completely expendable.

24. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Anyone compared the MFSL SACD to the Columbia SACD ? In another thread perhaps ?

25. JMCIII

Yep, I did. Look in Soundstage's archives for my review of the Mo-Fi where I compare the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.