super bright glowing tubes WY3P

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by inperson, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inperson

inperson Senior Member Thread Starter

I just got this preamp and it has tubes that I am not familiar with. One tube is a WY3P another is a WY4P and the other strange one is a 5Z4P. Are there tubes that can be switched with any of these? Does "P" designate that is a Chinese tube? Makes sense due to the fact it is Chinese. But the interesting thing is the WY3P tube is like a night light. It glows so bright.

I was wondering what are the brightest glowing tubes (in normal operation) out there?

Attached Files:

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I had a pair of 165w triode monoblocks which used the 811A output tubes. Those things were like 25w light bulbs!
    -Bill

3. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

The two front tubes look like 6SN7's to me. The rears look like radio (RF) tubes with the cylinder type plate assembly. Though I know they're not. The center looks like a 5Y4 rectifier tube.

Maybe check with the RCA tube substitution book. I think you can find it on-line.

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The WY3P is the Chinese equivalent of the OC3 regulator tube. The WY4P is the Chinese equivalent of the OD3 tube. The 5Z4P is also a Chinese tube(yes, the "P" is the indicator) that you can substitute a 5Z4G tube with.

5. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

As said above, the rear outside tubes are gas cold-cathode VR tubes- they will glow rather brightly (from the gas inside being ionized, very much like a neon bulb) and in different colors depending on the gas used in manufacture.

The VR tubes make nifty night-lights too :)

[​IMG]

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That's pretty damn cool...

7. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Really damn cool! I bet a lot of HiFi Bugs would love to have one of those!

8. inperson

inperson Senior Member Thread Starter

The rear left tube is the WY3P, the center is a 5Z4P, the rear right tube is a WY4P and the two front tubes are 6H8C/6SN7's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.