Neil Diamond Compilations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ABBAFANUSA, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation, Mike. That fast hi-hat intro on the version I listened to was jarring. It sounded almost disco compared to what I was used to. Do you know which of the three versions appears on The Greatest Hits (1966-1992) compilation? It looks like this:

Attached Files:

2. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Which one sounds best?

3. agentalbert

I don't know yet, Pig Whisperer. I wasn't expecting there to be any difference at all. I'll have to actually a/b them to determine.

4. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

For the best overview and the best sound overall, go with the IN MY LIFETIME box set. AVOID the new Universal comps at all costs. They sound horrid.

There's no other Diamond comp that beats In My Lifetime, so far.

I also suggest you pick up "STONES" somewhere along the way because the title track of that album is the one essential song the box set is missing.

5. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

All the early hits are in their mono mixes on this set. "Shilo" is the BANG version but not the short version. Again, I'd go with IN MY LIFETIME for the best sounding source for this one.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  6. agentalbert

So you're saying the version on 12 Greatest Hits (runs 3:23:) is the original BANG version? From the description above, it sounds like 12 Greatest Hits has the 3rd iteration described. This sounds like a re-recording to me. Seems over-produced. It sounds different from the songs I remember from The Greatest Hits (1966-1992), which I had always understood to contain the original BANG versions.

7. Gee I thought I was one of the only ones that liked that album! I remember how it got slagged at the time (along with the film) but the soundtrack album has stood the test of time whereas the film hasn't aged quite so gracefully.

Still love "Be".

8. houston

houston Forum Resident

yes, Shiloh is a re-recording on greatest hits; I third the nomination for ultimate collection, has all the good MCA stuff, including 'walk on water', and the live (hit) version of 'cherry cherry'

9. Well, let me have a listen to it now. Haven't played it in a long time.

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The version on 12 Greatest Hits runs 2:59 - it is the Uni version (#3 in my summary above). I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

I don't have the 1966-1992 set but according to Pat Downey's http://www.top40musiconcd.com/
    site, "Shilo" on 1966-1992 runs 3:23, which would be #1 above. That version is also on the In My Lifetime set. It was the version released first, on Neil's second Bang album.

The single version is #2 - released in 1970, and it runs 3:49. It's on the Classics - The Early Years set. That's the only CD I'm aware of.

11. agentalbert

Since there are obviously (at least) two different masterings of 12 Greatest Hits (see post #24), I wonder which is the more common one. Maybe a few of you guys with a disc could check it and post which one you have.

12. agentalbert

Thanks for the clarification, again. I might have misunderstood Jared in post #30, but I thought he was saying the 12 Greatest Hits version of Shilo was the original.

I've got the In My Lifetime box, but not handy.

Does anyone have the Greatest Hits (1966-1992) and do the liner notes say where the live tracks come from? Are they from Hot August Night 2 perhaps? Also, of the studio tracks, which ones are re-recordings? I know Song Sung Blue was, but I can't remember which other ones.

13. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Did you ever compare the two discs?

14. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Any new thoughts on Neil Diamond compilations?

15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

There was another thread I posted in recently, having found 12 Greatest Hits--the earlier version MCABD 37252, CINRAM Canada. It is quite simply demo-quality. Just gorgeous. Also has the original versions of Holly Holy and another track which were replaced on later versions with live takes from HOT AUGUST NIGHT.

c-eling likes this.
  16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Cutting to the chase, as I hear them …

BANG material: I recommend finding original 45's and needledrop them, but if you have to have them on an existing CD, I guess the best that is currently available is that "In My Lifetime" box, but those tracks still don't sound right to me on that package, even if they are the mono mixes. Stay a million miles away from that horrible "The BANG Years" CD!!!

UNI/MCA material: Find the same cheap 18 track CD on MCA that I own called "The Neil Diamond Collection". Mine is a BMG Music Club copy, that I bought used for a whopping $3 bucks and it cooks! (MCA # 088 112 119-2 --- plus additional BMG Direct # D132435)

COLUMBIA material (Well at least some of it): The Columbia CD called "12 Greatest Hits Vol. II" (COLUMBIA # CK 38068) It has no mastering credit, but I love the sound on it. "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" has the longest sting ending, that I've ever heard of this song!

alchemy likes this.
  17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I believe "Sweet Caroline" is the other track you have in mind.

18. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

The 1978 Early Classics vinyl on FrogKing records is a winner in my eyes. Mastered by Bernie Grundman!!

Licorice pizza and MikeP5877 like this.
  19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The only release that has a true stereo mix of "Kentucky Woman" I think.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I read someone claiming it was an alternate take, but I couldn't tell.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  21. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

My two preferred Neil Diamond comps are the two from 1992: Greatest Hits 1966-1992 (Columbia) and Glory Road: 1968 T0 1972 (MCA). I like them both more than the various ones from the past decade or so. I don't have the In My Lifetime set.

22. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: The following two songs have never appeared on a CD. This....

c-eling likes this.
  23. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

...and this:

24. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I just bought this old vinyl pressing yesterday. Totally blew me away!!! Anything Bernie touches turns to gold and sounds orgasmic.

A close second would be the Bang material with Bell Sound/MR in deadwax.

c-eling likes this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Whoever did these transfers did a nice job for what it is. I'll have to give my Double Gold a re-listen, unfortunately my set isn't a Monarch (Which is probably preferable by forum standards :laugh:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.