Gerry Rafferty: What Happened

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fabtrick, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member Thread Starter

2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Another sad story.:sigh: The guy was great.

3. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

4. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

Another talent wasted. :cry:

I know so many people who ruined their life because of booze and drugs.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This is a shame

6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Very sad. Several years ago I visited his website often - not just a fan site, Rafferty regularly made contributions, himself. Once he promised that plans were in the works to have his back catalogue released on SACD or DVD-A. All activity on the website eventually ended. About a month ago, I got to wondering about Rafferty and went looking for him on the internet. His website has disappeared and all I coud find out about him was a rumour that he had become a recluse in a remote house in Scotland after his marriage broke up. I had no idea about the alcoholism, his health problems, his brother's death and the estrangement with his surviving brother. (What kind of person creates a website to publically ridicule and insult his own brother?!) Very sad situation.

7. :shake: Here's to hoping Gerry will reach out and embrace the help that those who love him I'm sure are offering.
    Its easy to say but one step at a time in the right direction is sometimes all it takes...

8. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

+1.

9. Robert Haagsma

Robert Haagsma Vinyl fanatic

Very sad news indeed. About five years ago, around the time the Another World album came out, I visited Gerry Rafferty in his north London home for an interview in a Dutch newspaper. He was very, VERY kind and answered all my questions. It was also very clear that physically he was in poor shape.

I hope he gets the help he obviously needs.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Oh dear. Such a shame. :cry:

11. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Sounds like he is running out of time...

12. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I often wondered what happened to him. He was so much more than just "Baker Street". The two albums after that "Night Owl", and "Snakes and Ladders" also had some really good songs. In a way, "Baker Street" pigeonholed him, and US radio at least, abandoned him.

Let's hope he can get the help he needs...

13. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

That's one sad story. I have most of the SW records and his solo albums and have been keeping up with his music until that last album came out - I even ordered it from his website. I also remember the interview that Robert is mentioning.

I also read that he had become pretty reclusive, but never realized that it had come to this - the alcohol, his health problems and the family trouble. Sad to see a great talent go to waste. Here's hoping for his recovery.

14. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

Pretty sad. City to City is a great album. Also a shame that Raphael Ravenscroft receives no royalties from the song at all, while Rafferty seems to make his living off of it (and throwing most of it away to alcohol). :sigh:

15. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

What a sad and shocking article. I hope Gerry can overcome his demons and be restored to health. City to City (DCC gold version) is one of my favorite CDs.

16. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

As a great fan of The Humblebums, Stealers Wheel and Gerry's early solo career, I'm very saddened by this. I didn't know any of the back story, and reading about his early years, I'm amazed, as I often am, that a person who comes out of rough circumstances can retain his sensitivity...as songs like "Patrick" and "I Can't Stop Now" show.

We can only hope Gerry will get the help he so desperately needs.

17. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

That is really sad to read about. I hope he can his life and his health in order.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

He's always been a little off...He refused to tour the US behind City to City, MUCH to United Artist's chagrin (it was a big hit in spite of that, but might have become an even bigger one).

That said, this is very sad. I hope he can get it together before it's entirely too late, if it isn't already...

19. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I'm sorry to read this news. I hope he gets cleaned up before it is too late.

20. What a sad story. I hope he gets some help.
    I really like his song Right Down the Line.

21. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

Just played 'Steamboat Row' and shed a tear.....:cry:

That song ALWAYS meant so much to me and eminates so much visual imagery in 2 and a half minutes.

Pure genius.

Here's praying that he can recover.....:sigh:

T.x

22. houston

houston Forum Resident

Everyone's agreed that (hopefully) everything will turn out fine

23. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

24. RichmondFC

RichmondFC Member

Wow...27 quid for that Sax part...

Thread Status: