The Robin Trower Album-by-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Robin Trower is the name of this great, overlooked guitarist and his trio.

I'm a big Robin Trower fan, and have been since a friend of mine gave me his LP collection a decade ago. He had me make a CD-R comp for him from those LPs. It turns out that in the process of making that comp, I became a fan of his music. I can't say if it's the textures he gets from his guitar, the soulful singing of the late James Dewar, or the R&B/blues based songs, or all of them combined, but his music draws me in. A lot of comparisons have been made between Trower and Jimi Hendrix.

I have all of his albums up to 1988, and am only missing one studio album on Atlantic that came out in 1990. Everything from 1973 to that point is what I consider his classic period. Some may cut it off much sooner. Whatever. I do have his King Biscuit Hour CD as well, but I have chosen not to include any live albums or comps, of which there are many. For this thread, i'm only going to include his studio albums from said period. I will include the 1990 album but participants can fill in the commentary.

2. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Good call! This should be fun.

Trower is awesome!

3. Grant

To get started, here is his debut album from 1973 with bassist/vocalist James Dewar and drummer Reg Isadore.

Twice Removed From Yesterday - 1973

From the first note of the album, it it clear that this is Trower's time. He was never able to shine as a member as Procol Harum, so he makes it clear that he has arrived. The first track where his guitar dominates the mix is called "I Can't Wait Much Longer", and is a standard, and creates the blueprint for their signature, bluesy sound.

Discuss.

Attached Files:

4. Fantastic idea Grant!

An album by album thread on this overlooked but very much loved guitarist with the 'killer' tones!

There are a lot of fans here and I'm already very excited! :goodie:

5. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

This album has a lot of fiery, rockin stuff but admittedly my favorite tune on this album is "Daydream". It's an incredibly beautiful song with some very melodic yet haunting guitars and very soulful James Dewer vocals.

6. Grant

The idea has been swirling in my head for a few years now. For some reason, I just decided to do it now.

7. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

My first concert in 1974 and my ears are still ringing!

A great album that shows the band is firmly based in the blues and James Dewar's vocals and bass are as instrumental as Robin Trower's blazingly hot guitar. From the first track, it shows the band is a power trio that can play soft melodies and as well as Trower's mastery of the guitar. The "Trower sound" is in full effect.

8. Grant

Question: should I keep this thread moving along, or should I allow a day or so for responses?

9. I vote for allowing a day or two for each and posting the track listings and personnel for each release with the title and cover picture.

The title track and "Daydream" are my two favorites.

Here is the tracklisting for "Twice Removed From Yesterday"

All songs written by James Dewar and Robin Trower, except where noted.

1. "I Can't Wait Much Longer" (Frankie Miller, Trower) – 5:25
    2. "Daydream" – 6:28
    3. "Hannah" (Dewar, Reg Isidore, Trower) – 5:30
    4. "Man of the World" – 2:40
    5. "I Can't Stand It" – 3:43
    6. "Rock Me Baby" (Joe Josea, B.B. King) – 4:21
    7. "Twice Removed from Yesterday" – 3:58
    8. "Sinner's Song" – 5:25
    9. "Ballerina" – 3:41

Personnel:
    Robin Trower – guitar
    James Dewar – bass, vocals
    Reg Isidore – drums

10. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

One of my favorite guitarists of all time, and a great debut album. IMO, not as good as Bridge of Sighs, but still very, very good.

11. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Grant, I too am really pleased that you started this thread. Again, it was my 'virgin' concert experience, and it had a huge impact on me at the time.

Give it a day or so so some of us can listen to the album again. It's been a few years!

12. James Dewar is one of the great whiskey soaked voices. Totally under utilised in Stone The Crows. His presence, voice, bangs these albums to the next level, not just another talented guitar exercise.

13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yes. One wonders why he agreed to remain anonymous and let the group be named after Trower. Dewar is a distinctive and major part of the sound, maybe as much as Trower. Absolutely stunning debut album. Also, drummer Isador is actually from my hometown, IIRC (Minneapolis). I don't know his history or where he played before this album. Thanks for starting this thread, Grant!

14. An excerpt from http://www.procolharum.com/rt-txt93.htm

15. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member

From my Top 100 favorite albums chart...

71 – Robin Trower – Twice Removed From Yesterday

16. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Totally agree. He was critical to the sound of the band - really gave them that soulful sound.

17. Grant

Thanks! I forgot to include the track list. This is only the second time i've attempted an album-by-album thread.

18. Grant

I read somewhere that Isadore is originally from the Caribbean.

19. Toka

Toka Active Member

Huge Trower fan right here...while my favorite album of his hasn't come up yet in this thread (it ain't BoS), I would probably slot TRFY has a solid #2 or #3...I go back and forth a little bit.

As much as Trower is underrated, Dewar is that times a billion...shame he never got more notoriety while he was alive (or even after he died). Really one of the best voices in rock.

20. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

TRFY is a fantastic album, and one of my favourites from any power trio. The debt to Hendrix is obvious, but not in an "I've-got-nothing-original-to-say" kind of way. And even though it doesn't fit with the rest of the album, "Rock Me Baby" is my absolute favourite version of that song.

21. Rolling Stone 1973 Review and Info :thumbsup:

Twice Removed from Yesterday
    Robin Trower
    Chrysalis 1039
    Released: May 1973
    Chart Peak: #106
    Weeks Charted: 24

With this brilliant debut album ex-Procol Harum guitarist Robin Trower transcends the realm of traditional rock music forms, staking out a musical turf than most musicians can't even comprehend, much less attempt to explore. Twice Removed from Yesterday exists on a level so far beyond the rest of most of today's rock that this writer finds it nearly impossible to speak of group and album in traditional critics' jargon.

Jimi Hendrix is the most discernible influence on Trower's style and performance. And if ever there was a guitarist who matches the mental scope of Hendrix' playing -- the other-worldly atmospheric wall -- it is Trower. And yet Twice Removed from Yesterday is much more different than a simple rerun with different personnel. For as he proved with Procol songs like "Whiskey Train," "Long Gone Geek" and "Song for a Dreamer," Trower is as incredible a guitarist in his own way as Jeff Beck, Albert King and Rusty Bogart are in theirs.

The album revolves around the sounds Trower wrenches from his axe, thick, luscious tones drenched with tremolo and sustain. But these effects aren't sheer electronic gimmickry; rather they enable Trower to realize a guitarist's dream, obtaining the maximum mileage from each note. The most telling compliment would have to be that his rhythm lines are every bit as impressive as his lead work. In fact on "Hannah" the entire solo is nothing more than a collage of rhythm variations, arranged in such a way as to fully convey the multiplicity of emotions described in the lyrics. Stunningly successful.

Robin Trower is also the name of the three-piece group (named, no doubt, in a fit of humility) which includes bassist Jim Dewar and drummer Reg Isadore. Dewer's a Scot, and every bit the profile of a tough, aggressive bass player. He also does the singing in a voice that's frighteningly reminiscent of Free's Paul Rodgers.

West Indian Isadore (brother of Manassas' Conrad) rounds out this truly international trio, supplying a solid brand of percussion with almost miserly efficiency. Producer Matthew Fisher's organ occasionally lurks in the background, never drawing excessive attention to itself but always there when needed to flesh out the group's sound.

But Trower is truly in a class by himself, so much so that it's now my most fervent wish to grow up to become half as good a guitarist as he. I'd be the Avis of the industry.

- Gordon Fletcher, Rolling Stone, 6/21/73.

22. Toka

Toka Active Member

23. Tuning down, and his use of the Univibe gives Trower his heaviness.

As heavy as Sabbath, but very tasteful and precise with well written tunes, tight playing, and great vocals.

24. fathom

fathom Senior Member

"Daydream" is killer. I discovered Trower from Bridge Of Sighs, so it was the 1976 Live album that clued me about "Daydream" and "I Can't Wait Much Longer".

I do think this first album is only about a 7 compared to Bridge Of Sighs, which is a definite 10.

25. :agree: Plus, of course, a whole lotta feel combined with a very individual approach and technique.

A vintage Univibe from late '60's/early '70's.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.