The Robin Trower Album-by-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Interesting... the first release "TRFY" gets a solid #3 for me but "BOS" is not my absolute favorite either. :winkgrin:

2. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Oh, he shone plenty as a member of Procol Harum (Simple Sister, Whisky Train, Repent Walpurgis, Cerdes, Whaling Stories etc.)

In any case, I think I like his first album about as much 'Bridge of Sighs', especially 'Daydream' and 'Hannah.'

3. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

Thanks for starting this thread Great, good call. :righton:

I haven't listened to this album in a year or more, so I'll try and give it a listen tonight or tomorrow at work. Please let a day or two go before starting the next album and I'll try and keep up. It'll be at least a good read.

I do remember Twice Removed From Yesterday being a favorite of mine and the first song "I Can't Wait Much Longer" smokes, wow what an awesome track.

4. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Side One is amazing with no slouches but Side Two has always kind of lost me a bit. Still one of my favorites by Trower on the strength of Side 1 alone

5. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Wow, great idea Grant, I think this calls for a new avatar.

I first got into Trower from Bridge Of Sighs, but quickly went back and discovered his older stuff.

I love this album, especially "Daydream" and "I Can't Wait Much Longer". Both are great fun to play on guitar.

Does anyone have the original 45 of "Man Of The World" with the un-released-elsewhere B-side "Take A Fast Train"?

6. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I think it'd be best to allow a day or so for responses. The way things move so fast here at the SH forums, it might drop off the front page and people might miss it. And people might come in late, etc. If discussion seems to stall out, go ahead and move it on.

7. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I'd love to get one of those originals! They're VERY hard to find, and quite expensive. There's one on ebay right now for $1800. These days, Robin's using the Fulltone Deja-Vibe 2.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I'm actually surprised at the reception this is getting. Usually, when I mention Robin Trower, it is met with little response.

One thing I find interesting is the frequent use of a tambourine. It's not commonly used in heavy rock.

9. I did not know about that single! Have to keep my eyes peeled for it.

10. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Time to add another one to my vinyl wish list. I have a couple of Trower LPs but not this one. Looks like I need to change that. Believe it or not, I had never even heard "Daydream" until I saw RT live last year. He still sounds like a million bucks BTW. Thanks for the thread. I look forward to following this.

11. townsend

townsend Senior Member

12. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

When I started buying his CDs back in the 90s, I stupidly gave away most of my LPs. I had Twice Removed From Yesterday, Bridge Of Sighs, For Earth Below, Long Misty Days, and Robin Trower Live!. Gave 'em away to a friend. :crazy:

It's taken me till now to re-acquire them on vinyl. This year at the Austin record convention I managed to find Twice Removed, For Earth Below, and Live, all still sealed, original green Chrysalis label, and I paid way too much for them, but I've finally got 'em back! NEVER will I make that mistake again.

13. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I've never heard the song, didn't even know about it till earlier this year, but it's available on a new comp called "Day Of The Eagle":

[​IMG]

I'll have to pick that up.

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

You know, and i'm jumping up a bit here, but Trower could have had a bit of a singles run. The singles he did have were mostly selected by the reaction of songs played in concerts. Listening to his albums, it is clear to me that he had some top 40 aspirations. Many of Robin Trower tracks were radio friendly. The ones they chose were wrong, IMO.

I'll pick back up on this as the thread moves along.

15. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

List your choice of singles off Twice Removed..

I'll jump way ahead and say Caroline and Caledonia were ready for single stardom

16. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I think "Man Of The World" makes an excellent single; short and catchy. "I Can't Stand It" would have been another good single IMO.

17. dickens12@excite

dickens12@excite Forum Resident

The comparison to Paul Rogers is an interesting one, since as contemporaries of Bad Co., I always thought Robin Trower did a similar kind of music much better.

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Did Trower and Frankie Miller ever put anything out on a record. I am a big F.M. fan and
    was surprised to hear they worked together at one time. Would love to hear them together.

19. timw

timw Senior Member

I feel your pain as I did the same with my original 'green Chrysalis label' BOS LP. There was just something about the sound of that LP that none of the CD releases since could come close to! I just had to get it back!!! I spent quite awhile trying to track down another copy of this LP that was in good cond. Ebay was just too much of a gamble. I finally lucked out at a local record store and found a super clean copy and was charged just $3.50 for it!!! NOTE: Have you noticed the slight color variations that the cover to this album has been through over the years? The original had the brighter green cover(both front & back) I believe. (Sorry, didn't mean to get off the TRFY topic. I had never owned this one on LP but have since tracked it down and love it!!!)
    Tim

20. Here is what that "Man Of The World/Take A Fast Train" 7" picture cover looks like.
    Apparently there is another 7" picture cover from France with "Man Of The World/Shame The Devil" on it. Chrysalis CHA 131.

Attached Files:

21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I'm jumping the gun here, but has anybody heard the new best of compilation, Day of the Eagle? It has Man of the World and Take a Fast Train on it, but I was wondering how it stacks up sonically.

P.S. Uh-oh. Mastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road. :(

22. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member

From a Miller site...

Having exhausted the possibilities of the Scottish scene, young Frankie headed for the bright lights of London where he found plenty of work singing with local bands. But his game plan was undoubtedly to make contact with the music business and hit the big time. He was lucky in being spotted by guitarist Robin Trower, who had just left Procol Harum and was planning to form his own supergroup. Trower had teamed up with ex-Jethro Tull drummer Clive Bunker and ex-Stone The Crows bassist Jim Dewar to form a group called Jude. Robin was so impressed by Frankie's vocal attack, he immediately offered him the role of front man.

They got together in July 1971 and set about rehearsing and doing interviews, in which Robin sang the praises of his protege. However, they didn't get as far as recording an album, always the first requisite of any serious band, and the whole venture folded up in April, 1972. Robin went off with Jim and drummer Reg Isidore to form a trio...

Dr. Weber

23. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Huh. OK. Maybe it was the second (replacement) drummer, Bill Lordan, that was from the Twin Cities.

24. FUZZBUTT34

FUZZBUTT34 Forum Resident

Great album , very bluesy and soulful ,
    I love the pace of this album

25. Very nice sound on these 2'fers and they are remastered from the original master tapes!
    I have the first four (first 8 LPs) and remember being surprised by the quality of detail in the sound especially the bass, percussion and cymbal work.

Though everything always needs to be taken on a case by case basis,
    BGO has come a long way from the 'needledrops' and questionable masterings of their beginnings they released many years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.