Moody Blues' Octave, Long Distance Voyager, The Present - remastered!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bhazen, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB Thread Starter

Attn. Moodies fans on SHF (and I count myself among that number);

According to Justin Haywards' website,

http://www.justinhayward.com/happenings_news.html

Octave, Long Distance Voyager and The Present have been remastered. (Whether needed or not.:D) Justin also tells how "Had To Fall In Love" came to be recorded - believe it or not, it wasn't on the studio schedule for Octave!

That is all; at ease.

2. Chippoh

Chippoh Senior Member

Great news, thanks!...Can I replace my vinyl, now?

3. bhazen

I don't know; the remasters haven't been released yet!

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

We'll see, as usual, whether the right mastering choices were made. But if this helps people discover (or rediscover) THE PRESENT, then I'm all for it. It's the most under appreciated album in the canon, imo.

5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

They are all released in the new japanese mini-vinyl series along with the early ones. Does anybody knows if they use the old mastering or the new remastering and how do the current european and american CDs sound?

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

That's good news...I never had a problem with the original Long Distance Voyager though.

7. bhazen

Great, IMHO (I assume you mean the original issues from '90 or so). Some here may prefer the MFSL version of Voyager, I suppose (I haven't heard it.)

8. It's good to see Octave and Long distance voyager some attention. They're not the band's best, but they deserve to be easily available.

9. zen

zen Senior Member

+1

10. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

:goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie:

I'm on this like Prince Fielder on a twinkie. :D

11. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Sounds great!!! I especially love the song Had to Fall in Love.

I hate to speculate (no I don't), but I'm going to. I wonder if there is any chance these will be Deluxe Editions like the previous 7 CD's. Any chance for surround or bonus tracks on these?

12. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

I'd say not. Keep in mind that the only reason we got the first 7 in surround sound was because quad mixes already existed. No additional work was done, thus why In Search of the Lost Chord was only in stereo...no quad mix.

Also, only Days of Future Passed, In Search of the Lost Chord, and To Our Children's Children's Children were 2 CD deluxe editions. The other 4 were just single CDs with bonus tracks.

I hope there are bonus tracks with these, but even if not, I'll buy them for what I assume will be great liner notes and hopefully good sound. :D

13. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

You're probably right about there being no surround included (although a surround version of LDV would be AWESOME!).

I'll look forward to these either way though. Maybe we'll at least be treated to some bonus material. :D

14. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Personally, I love OCTAVE, like LONG DISTANCE, and don't much care for THE PRESENT.

If OCTAVE has a bunch of interesting bonus tracks, I'll buy it, but the old CD I have sounds mighty fine to me. I'm not sure I like LONG DISTANCE enough to hear any related bonus tracks from it.

15. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

No word on a date??

16. bhazen

No, Justin just mentioned the work was done recently; so I suspect that release may be months away (as these things often are.)

Octave and LDV sound fine as-is, so I'll need to hear raves here about the reissues before I buy. Or, a load of really interesting bonus tracks (BBC, outtakes, etc.)

17. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

If I remember right from earlier threads, the redbook stereo layers on the latest classic 7 remasters were not highly thought of. Many did like the SACD, though. That is not necessarily a good precedent for Justin's future mastering choices. Sad as I really like Long Distance Voyager and The Present, too.

18. bhazen

ibid.

19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I don't have Long Distance Voyager on CD, so I am looking forward to this release and I hope the sound is good . It's my favorite Moody Blues album, post "classic seven".

20. bhazen

I hope so too Glenn. I'd budget a few $ for a (used?) copy of the existing CD though, in case of the heartbreak of psoreearisis. :D

21. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

:laugh: :righton:

I pulled out my Long Distance Voyager LP a few months ago after not playing it for many years and I was surprised by how much I liked it .
    It's a very strong album IMO.

22. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

That's good news!
    I love "the Present". It sounds very much like "Long Distance Voyager."

I wish Universal Music will reissue "This is the Moody Blues" as well on vinyl and Hybrid SACD.

23. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I'm unlikely to buy these unless there are bonus tracks included. I can't imagine they could improve on the MFSL of Long Distance Voyager, and I never play the other 2 CDs as it is...

24. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I wonder if they'll be "Deluxe Editions" with Bonus Tracks? Probably won't,since I've not known of any Unreleased tracks that were left in the can..would be nice if there are any,tho'...:righton:

25. downer

downer Senior Member

from Spin CD's this morning...

The Moody Blues - Three Remastered & Expanded CDs

Digitally Remastered by Justin Hayward with previously unreleased Bonus Live Tracks and 16-page booklets with sleeve-notes by Mark Powell and rare and previously unseen period photographs. Click on the following links to check the tracks and to 'pre-order': 'Octave' From 1978 now contains 5 previously unreleased bonus live tracks recorded on tour in the US in December 1978 and May 1979. 2) 'Long Distance Voyager' Now contains the Bonus Track - The Voice - Single Edit. and 3) 'The Present' From 1983 now contains 2 bonus tracks, the single edit of Blue World and German only 12" version of Sitting At The Wheel. All released on November 4th. for £6.99 each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.