problem with turntable Philips 212

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mac5, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mac5

mac5 New Member Thread Starter

I have a Philips 212 turntable that I bought in 1976. The last time I used I had to press down and hold the touch control or the platter would stop turning. Even doing this the rotation was way too slow. I'm thought my motor may be bad but this is just a guess. I was wondering if anyone could offer some insights.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

I am guessing that the bulbs under the touch switches are burned out. They are actually part of the circuit and if they are burned out, the table will not run properly. Unfortunately, bulbs are no longer available. Its too bad, the 212 is a great table when working properly. I repair them all of the time at the shop where I work. Its a big drag that the bulbs are not available, and I have tried to find suitable replacements without success. There are some sellers on Ebay claiming to have replacement bulbs, they do not work.

3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I see used 212's and 312's all the time that are good for parts only. Is a bulb transplant the way to go? And are the bulbs the same in 312's and 212's? I use my 212 to play 78's, BTW.

4. Joe Nino-Hernes

The 312 used LED's rather than bulbs. The parts are not interchangeable. The 312 is more reliable due to the fact that the LED's never burn out. However, the 312 has auto lift, which some do not like.

5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Very interesting! I owned a 312 back in the 70's. I prefer my 212. It sounds wonderful!

6. Joe Nino-Hernes

I also prefer the sound of the 212. The extra mechanics associated with the auto lift on the 312 does affect the sound.

7. mac5

bulbs

The bulbs do light when I press a particular speed. They just won't stay lit unless I leave my finger on them.

Thanks
    Bill

8. Joe Nino-Hernes

Does the stop light work?

9. mac5

stop light

No it didn't but I just switched the stop light with the 45 light and I still get the same result at 33 speed.

10. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

I bought my 212 in 1976 as well. After years of use, and then years of storage, it was not running properly. After a little searching, I found a gentleman based in Providence, RI who offers a "upgrade kit" for the 212 and the 312. I bought the kit, had the new parts installed, and this TT now runs just like new.

I suggest you contact this guy; he sells on the Bay with the seller name soundbug1, and his "store" is called Voigt Stereonics. He has worked on both my 212 and my LP12; I've met him in person and have seen his workshop, and I am confident in recommending him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.