What is the worst film you have ever seen?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dreamwhip, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Me too, it was so absurd that it worked. I didn't even crack a smile for "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" but "Don't Mess With The Zohan" had me laughing a lot. It sure won't win any film awards, but it did what a comedy should - it made me laugh.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I enjoyed it much more than Punch Drunk Love.:D

3. magick28

magick28 New Member

I have no idea why anyone would even go see it.What in the previews looked like this would be a good film?

4. I felt that way when I saw it in theaters. Of course the girl I was with at the time felt different...good thing I didn't end up marrying her.

I felt the same thing about "Purple Rain" except for the concert sequences and anything with Morris Day and The Time in it. It's NOT a very good movie overall.

5. Brick Top

Brick Top New Member

I haven't seen Zohan...as I tend to find almost every Sandler movie the same...but I thought Punch Drunk Love was excellent. Easily the best performance Sandler has ever put forth.

Cheers,
    BT

6. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I know I'll get flack for this,But,I've gotta choose "Doctor Zhivago"-Too Darn long,and,to a 5-Year Old,BOR-RING!I'd gotten Nightmares about the "Moving Billboards" outside the RKO Theatre in White Plains,N.Y. (last time I was there,it was a Subway Food Mart!)

7. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

Here's another contender: Mr. Nanny, with Hulk Hogan!
    The Hulkster dancing in pink leotards, David Johansson making awkward facial expressions with a metal plate on his head and some embarrassing moments with Sherman Helmsley, all contribute to Mr. Nanny not exactly falling in the category of great cinema.
    Come to think of it, Hulk's No Holds Barred is a strong contender too!

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Well, yeah - of course a 5-year-old would be bored by a three and a half hour historical romance. ANYTHING that long would bore a little kid!

It seems odd that you'd pick a movie you saw so young - and apparently haven't seen in 40+ years - for this thread. I didn't like broccoli when I was five, but I wouldn't mention it in a "worst vegetables I've ever eaten thread"...

9. Oatsdad

Some people liked the concept of the commando turned hairdresser. I agree that it looked bad based on the trailer, but Tony Kornheiser - who I love as a columnist and radio host, and who I respect a lot - thought it would be a riot.

And his pre-assessment was closer to being correct than mine was. "Zohan" wasn't great, but it amused. I sure liked it a ton better than the idiotic and unfunny "Pineapple Express"...

10. Oatsdad

"Good-natured Sandler" always works better than "Nasty Sandler". Whenever he plays an egotist and/or prick - like in "Click", "Chuck and Larry", "Big Daddy" and others - the movie tends to be mean-spirited and unfunny. When he plays a nice character - such as here, "Mr. Deeds" and "50 First Dates" - the movie tends to entertain.

The sole exception IMO: "Billy Madison", still the funniest Sandler effort. Billy was a selfish jerk, but he was portrayed as such an idiot that the role worked. In the future, Sandler would lose that ability to mock himself, and the characters would come across as pricks.

At least until "Zohan". The lead character SHOULD seem annoying since he's made out to be such a superman, but Sandler makes him likable. Zohan may be a super-stud and a killer commando, but he's nice and unassuming. Sandler plays him in a gentle manner that works.

Plus, some of the better Sandler flicks feature great turns from John Turturro. Funny, but I usually don't like Turturro. I always think he's very funny in the Sandler flicks, though; he's the best thing about "Zohan".

His detractors won't agree, but Sandler has talent. Like Eddie Murphy, though, he needs to keep a tight cap on his less positive tendencies. When Sandler does so, he can be very funny...

11. What's scary is the appeal it has for kids...

12. Actually I liked the "alternate" version better..you invest so much in hoping that Neville will succeed.

13. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Barton Fink was very good, though not a comedy...

14. I disagree, sort of - I think Sandler pretty much delivered a variation of his usual performance, but the arty context gave it more seeming dramatic weight than it really deserved.

15. magick28

magick28 New Member

Any and all of the Borat movies and Mr Bean movies

16. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Natural Born Killers

17. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Belle du jour.

18. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

Yes, I hate all of them too! :righton:

All ONE of them.

:rolleyes:

19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I wouldn't put it down to the arty context so much as Sandler pretty much ALWAYS playing someone with severe psychiatric disorders and anger issues but THIS time the film takes that at face value and admits it instead of framing him as the lovable misfit hero. Which, for me, anyway, is FAR more interesting.

20. Oatsdad

I wouldn't call "Alvin" a GOOD movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not one of the worst films ever made. It's innocuous and watchable. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I definitely didn't hate it. It's mediocre family entertainment...

21. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Judging by the trailer, it looks like J. J Abram's remake of Star Trek will be a future contender on my list.

:hurl:

James

22. Brick Top

Brick Top New Member

Well said.

Cheers,
    BT

23. Oatsdad

Oh, please - the movie isn't even out and you're already prepared to call it one of the worst flicks ever made... :rolleyes:

24. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Not exactly. I was just saying, that if the trailer is any indication, it has the potential to be. We'll have to wait and see when it comes out to know for certain.

James

25. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Spanglish

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.