David Lindley question.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CarlosofCoronado, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarlosofCoronado

CarlosofCoronado Forum Resident Thread Starter

About 25-30 years or so ago, Lindley did a story in Guitar Player magazine in which he talked about recording with Jackson Browne. I recall he mentioned that he was playing the lap steel and the tubes in his amp were melting as they were wrapping up a song to appear on a JB album. By chance, does anyone remember what song it was?

Cheers

Carlos "Don'tr leave your old mags at home when the folks decide to clean house" Rivera

2. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

I have a friend who probably can remember, and I'll ask him.

In the meantime, you might go to DL's website and e-mail him directly; I know that he doesn't ignore e-mail.

3. Skip Reynolds

It's Sunday the 21st and I only now managed to get a hold of my pal. To my surprise, he doesn't know. He's guessing it was "Running On Empty" but it's only a guess.

Again, I know that Mr. Dave answers E-mail, and suggest you ask him directly.

4. cdice

cdice New Member

I love Mr. Dave aka David Lindley!!! Mr. Dave, if you're reading this, WHY don't you tour anymore? Hey, bro, link up with Jackson Browne!!!! The two of you would sell-out dates in clubs everywhere!!!!! I mean, I thought you were cool with Hani Naser, but, hey, you and Jackson, I mean, what the f--k....get out there and tour together, will ya?! You and Jackson! And, Brother Dave, when Jackson recently did an outdoor show in Claremont, CA (in May 2008), I was so totally shocked that you didn't show...I mean, Ben Harper did, and you--evidently--live in Claremont/Rancho, or so I've been told....what's up with dat, bro??????? Where were you? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!! Peace.

5. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

I'm a HUGE, guitar-playin' fan of David Lindley. One of, if not THE best slide guitar tone ever put on record. El Rayo X, man!!!! I remember learning the slide solo to "Redneck Friend" when I was 17 so I could sit in with the band I hired for my mother's wedding (to my stepfather - so don't start thinking crazy thoughts, people). That was fun. That song taught me how to play slide guitar in standard tuning (instead of open tuning like the old blues guys). I still have my old copy of "For Everyman", the first Jackson Browne LP I ever bought.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yep to "El Rayo X"

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just saw David live over the summer. He was on tour as the opening act for Acoustic Hot Tuna.

He was amazing.. just him and his selection of guitars (and other instruments similar to a guitar)..

"CatFood" sandwiches anyone??? :)

8. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Here's a review of the Los Lobos show with David Lindley opening earlier this month...

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=26994

I think there are plans for a Jackson Browne/David Lindley live CD for release next year. The songs are taken from their tour together a couple of years ago.

9. Mr. Dave is one of the sweetest and most bad @ssed players of various stringed instruments alive on this planet of ours ... :edthumbs:

10. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I love David Lindley too. Good and Greasy and El Rayo X are both outstanding.

11. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

I'm particularly fond of David's 1988 El Rayo-X album, Very Greasy (Elektra 60768). It was produced by his cousin, Linda Ronstadt.

I've been lucky enough to see David Lindley perform many times, but one of my favorite concerts ever was February 26, 1974 at the College of William and Mary...Jackson Browne (with David Lindley) and Linda Ronstadt. All sorts of things happened on stage that night, but David was amazing. At one point, Jackson had to stop the show because Lindley was absolutely certain that the stage was about to collapse! Yeah, it was one of those kind of nights. :winkgrin:

For the encore, both bands came out to perform Jack Tempchin's classic "One More Song". What a dream band...Linda and Jackson trading lead vocals and harmony, David Lindley playing fiddle, Bob Warford on b-bender, and Kenny Edwards on mandolin. The cool thing was that the first band Warford ever played in, the Mad Mountain Ramblers, featured David Lindley. David is also married to Joan Darrow, whose brother, Chris Darrow was also in the Mad Mountain Ramblers. Chris was also part of the Corvettes when they were Linda's band, but I better stop now because these connections are endless.

The recording I made of this show is pretty bad, but I still listen to it all the time. There's just too much good music there to worry about the sound quality. And David Lindley's lap steel is the loudest instrument on there. We were scheduled to do an interview with Linda after the show for WGOE, but she bailed. Instead we got a mini-interview with Jackson and David.

The next night of the tour was at Georgetown. Guests Lowell George and Richie Hayward of Little Feat joined Lindley and Warford and Andrew Gold on stage. WOW! What a great bunch of musicians for Jackson and Linda.

If you ever get a chance to see David Lindley play live, GO!

12. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

If you can remember anything else about the issue, like the date or who appeared on the cover, I might be able to look it up. I still have most of my Guitar Players from back then.

13. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

This...is true. Time to dig out El Rayo-X and Win This Record again, for starters.

14. TimJo

TimJo New Member

Yeah, Lindley is great. I saw him w/ Jackson Browne in big settings, which were great, but I really liked the shows with Ry Cooder, or when it was just him and Wally Ingram. He can tell a funny story as well, between songs as he's tuning. I remember one show when he was rambling on about driving all night to get to Seattle but that they had discovered this new drink called Red Bull, and they bought cases of it and had them in the back of the car, so the all night drives were no longer a problem. This was way before Red Bull was even known, and I had no idea of what the heck he was talking about, but the way he told the story was hilarious.

15. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

The King Cat Theater? :thumbsup:

16. TimJo

TimJo New Member

Mighta been... I have to admit after seeing so many shows over the years, things kinda fade into one. :sigh:

I remember talking to them after the show, and slipping Wally a $20 for gas and more Red Bull when they found it the next time. :D I had no idea what it was, but it sounded like a good idea...

17. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

April 1982

Lindley is on the cover. I went looking but my pile of GP's is a mess. I know I had at least a couple of copies of that issue as I loaned one to a friend who is into vintage Japanese guitars.

18. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Thanks for the link. Nice versions of Mercury Blues and Your Old Lady. :righton:

19. rockfeat

rockfeat Forum Farmer

The solo was the one at the end of "And That Girl Could sing".......to answer the OP question

20. rockfeat

rockfeat Forum Farmer

I was at the Georgetown show. :righton:

21. rockfeat

rockfeat Forum Farmer

And BTW I was at the Merriweather show when they recorded Running on Empty. Not bragging......just happy!

22. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Is Lindley the guy who sings like a Muppet on Jackson Browne's "Stay"?

23. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Ah, sorry, don't have that one. I would periodically get annoyed with Guitar Player Magazine and unsubscribe for a while. I have most of them up through 1978, then I guess I unsubbed and don't have any until 1985.

24. Skip Reynolds

Depends on which Muppet you mean. After Browne finishes singing, two singers have a turn at it. A woman whose name I forget, and then David.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.