Realistic LAB-440 Vs. Technics 1200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Peacekeepr73, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member Thread Starter

As challenged in a previous thread I figured I should start a separate thread to deal with the subject. the challenge is for any one on the forum to beat the sound quality of my TT with a Technics 1200. The facts of the recording are the TT was sitting on a T.V. tray, The needle a Shure RSX4, My phono pre-amp is an MCM solid state #40-630. I am recording with windows sound recorder in a 16 bit 187 kb/sec 48.000 kHz Stereo Wav. file. The Link to My Realistic LAB 440 recorded AC/DC Black Ice 180g, Compair if you dare! :D
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/dniy97

2. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Cool. I'm pleased to see you're doing this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Technics will win!!!

4. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Your sound quality in a turntable is almost entirely reliant on what kind of cartridge you have mounted on it. Everything else is mostly mechanics, except for the cables.

5. Peacekeepr73

Must you forget that back in 81' this TT was top of the line fetching in todays money $1,040
    And the cables are the same ones built onto the TT back in 81' regular RCA same goes for the cables going from the pre-amp to the computer, nothing fancy just the standard stuff from back in 81'

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

What did the 1200MK2 cost when it was new?

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

$327 list price in 1981. Usually discounted a little bit.

8. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I listened to your recording but I have no reference to tell what this track is supposed to sound like. The cymbals sound very distorted and totally distract me from listening, and as I said I have no idea what this is supposed to sound like.

9. Peacekeepr73

Ok, I'll Post a more widely known song from some vintage German pressed Bob Seger Album, some good old time rock n' roll Just as soon as I'm done recording it...

10. Vinyl-Addict

Do you own any DCC albums?

11. Peacekeepr73

DCC albums??

12. Vinyl-Addict

Mastered by Steve Hoffman albums. :shh:

13. Peacekeepr73

Not likely, I only have Classic rock albums all bought at flea markets and second hand-stores. Can't afford many newly pressed albums on a 17 year-olds budget...

14. Vinyl-Addict

Ah, no problem. Have fun with it. Happy Holidays. :wave:

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Thanks.

16. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

This is an excellent idea for a thread. It's basically the same question that's been swirling around my head for a week. If I pick up a Tec-12, how much better will it sound than the Lab-420 I found?

Maybe what we'll all have to do is have two or three turntables. One belt-drive, one Technics 1200, and one vintage table. Guitar Center sells the Tec-12 for $450, which is dirt cheap. Heck, you could throw on a Rega RB300 arm (does Origin sell to the US?), and still have a very cheap system. And I think we'd all be the wiser for exploring all sides of the analog realm.

17. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

The problem with needledrops is that the outcome is not realistic enough in regards to the sound you actually hear at home on your rig - For me it is absolutely out of the question that the DUAL 701 sounds better than the Technics, but needledrops often show something different and so far from the reaction in the needledrops thread the Technics often gets more appreciation here...
    It is one thing how clearly the signal is transcribed and how good the signal sounds in reality : i.e. you do not hear the impact the subchassis and wooden body has on the sound of the DUAL. Another thing that makes shootouts difficult between vintage and Technics are the different cartridges used - but you cannot put a concorde cart on a Vintage player.

18. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

The Send Space download speed of 50 k/sec is painfully slow for a 44 meg file. You might consider a smaller file, or an mp3?

19. Peacekeepr73

I would never bring my recording down the the MP3 format, darn descrace ruins every bit of the music... and it only took me 8 minutes

20. Peacekeepr73

Seems I made a small mistake in the year and price of my 440, it was $219 about $500 now and the cart was $50 in 82' along with the TT and now the cart would cost 'round $100

21. Peacekeepr73

22. pharmboycu

pharmboycu Forum Resident

Like the turntable. Didn't hear much (if any) rumble at all. I think you got a great turntable. Sounds a bit bright to me but I'm used to listening to a Grado Prestige Gold or the AT440MLa. Dog gone it... now you've made me want to go get a copy of that Bob Seger LP...

On a side note, I was 17 when I first heard Bob Seger (I'm 29 now)... good to know that there are still young people with good taste in the world. Have fun with that great turntable and get some Dave Mason, Kenny Loggins, Marshall Tucker Band, Stephen Bishop, oh crap... just get all the great records you can! Hahaha...

23. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Oh my Gosh - that sounds terrible ! Relax - It is not your turn table, just the music - i am sure it is meant to sound that way - the drums start out promising, but then i had to shut that headache saw off - guess it is the right kind of noise for 17 year old headbangers ... but not for grown ups...
    But the table is alright / enjoy...

24. Peacekeepr73

Try my second link, its one of my german pressed Bob Seger. and that noise is good ol' AC/DC but the mastering in my opinion is not so hot

25. pharmboycu

pharmboycu Forum Resident

It's the mastering. The guitars sound a little thin. Doesn't really sound like an SG through a 100 Watt Super Lead Marshall. I'd love to hear the mastering done by someone who knows what that sounds like (i.e., Steve, Kevin, or Barry).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.