Big Star: Rhino "Box Set"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Imagine the Swan, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imagine the Swan

Imagine the Swan Member Thread Starter

I don't know if anyone has heard anything about this, but I only read about it on another random message board. I don't remember where, but it was when I was searching about the new video that came out (you can find it on youtube) that Chris Bell and Andy Hummel shot during the recording of #1 Record. Anyway the video was from the Oxford Magazine or something like that and this person said that the magazine said Rhino would be releasing a Box Set of all 3 albums, live stuff, outtakes & rarities and a dvd with more footage. Other than that I've heard nothing and knowing Rhino, it could never happen. Plus Big Star's stuff is on Ryko, so I would think they would wanna do a Box Set?

Anywho, anyone else hear of this? Cause it sounds sick. I'd love some more outtakes and rarities (there's some floating around out there, plus the new Ardent Story comp has a bunch). Plus I'd love live stuff from the Chris Bell era and a dvd of classic era footage would be sick! (Sorry Posies dudes...you're not the real deal, but thanks for playing shows!).

Oh and here's a link to the message board where I read this: http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=34683

EDIT: I meant RHINO in topic not RYKO!

2. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Ryko is owned by Warners now so it's all the same. The set is supposed to be on the way but no inside info has come to light yet.

3. Imagine the Swan

Where'd you get your info? Like I said, that's the only place I've read about it. Did your source pretty much corroborate what's in the box set?

Also a new 33 1/3 book is coming out on Radio City. I haven't read too much of these, cause they're not all that great, but apparently the writer actually got an interview out of Chilton for the book. Basically Chilton completely opened up. Not even Rob Javonic(?) could get that for his bio on the band, and that book is a really great read. It should be coming out real soon too.

4. Electric Bozo

Electric Bozo Holy Synthesist

A reference to the box set (and Rhino) was made in an article from a Memphis newspaper story just recently in regard to the legacy of Chris Bell, considering that the 30th anniversary of his death was just after Christmas. I believe there was a thread on the Forums with a link to the newspaper's site.

Yep - see this thread:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=169972

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

My only other source is Andrew Sandoval who mentioned it in his chat room during his radio show. He said nothing about contents only that he had "just finished it." This was several months ago. I know better than to ask Andrew for details. He can't really share that stuff - but honestly I was just thrilled to hear the news. Whenever it gets out it gets out.

6. Imagine the Swan

Yea. It would make sense that it would be in 09 (hopefully). And supposedly an expandes edition of I Am the Cosmos? What else is there? That album is already like an "expanded" edition of Chris Bell solo stuff. It was never an intended album.

7. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Remember that Andrew also told us in the chat room that he had finished the Bee Gees Odessa 2 years ago. :eek: So like I said, when it comes out it comes out. It's just icing on the cake after the wonderful Ardent set that was released in 2008.

We'll have to rely on Kent and Chris M for Big Star outtake info. I have a few things including some alternate mixes (on a boot) and a couple of unreleased Jody Stephens demos but I don't have detailed Big Star knowledge like other forum members.

8. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I'd pick up the 33 & 1/3 title. While I agree that some titles are disappointing (Meat is Murder, Rid of Me, and Music From Big Pink), most others I've read have been good. In fact, I just finished the title on the Afghan Whigs Gentlemen, and it was terrific.

9. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I get all my info from Kent so you know as much as I do :laugh:

The recent Chris Bell article that was posted here a few days ago mentioned that the Big Star box and expanded I Am The Cosmos were in the works.

10. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Tough to stump Kent. I did it once with a Van Duren/Jody Stephens demo. Next time I stump him we'll be seeing Haley's Comet. :D

11. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Wow. That is something to look forward to.

Good question. I think Chris was somewhat of a perfectionist so there is probably lots of alternate takes and demos. Not sure though. Chris did play in several bands around Memphis after Big Star. No idea if any shows or rehearsals were recorded.

13. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

I've always thought the same thing; Chris was such a perfectionist, there has to be more demos from #1 Record; I can see maybe not so much from Radio City or Sister Lovers, though I know for fact about a cassette that Jim dickinson has of acoustic demos of Sister Lovers material that Alex gave to Jim to give him an idea of the songs that he was going to do for Sister Lovers. Jon Tiven claims that he may have accidentally recorded some of the Bach's Bottom material over a Sister Lovers tape reel. He said that when he was playing back the Bach's Bottom material he heard
    "Lovely Day", the early version of "Stroke it Noel" at the end of the tape reel... Also, I know for fact of a soundboard show recorded with Alex Andy and Jody at Layfayett's music Hall in Memphis (not the Rock Writer Convention show, but a different show) Jody apparently thinks it's a poor performance and doesn't want it out. Back to Chris Bell though, though, maybe they'll release some of the original mixes of his solo material; I'm not sure why they remixed the songs when it came out, but I much prefer the original "Make A Scene" and some of the other stuff. From talking to some who were in the loop in Memphis in the 70's, unfortunately, no live performances exist of Chris playing live that anyone can seem to recall. Several have said that back then, they just played gigs and didn't have the forsight to document what was going on like a lot of bands do these days.

I'm sure Kent B. can give some good info about all of this.

14. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

"Lovely Day" - maybe not the same version - actually just got released on the Ardent comp. I wonder where it came from...

15. Expanding Man

Expanding Man New Member

This is easily the most exciting stuff I've heard in years.

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

If a Big Star box comes out, I'll immediately purchase one.

BTW, what's Alex Chilton up to these days. Recording? Maybe some new original material? Is that too much to hope for? It might be.

17. Imagine the Swan

Where did you get these demos and stuff? Like the Jody Stephens stuff and Van Duren/Jody Stephens stuff. I'd love to get my hands on it as well.

18. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

A friend of mine had a tape that he probably got in a trade. In fact the first time I ever heard Van Duren was from this tape that was being passed off as Big Star. It wasn't until a bunch of years later that I found out who the real performer was.

19. Imagine the Swan

Van Duren is awesome. It's really tough to find his albums in the US tho. I'm still looking for his live album. After the Ardent comp, I really liked that Cargoe song. I heard the full album and it wasn't as good as I'd hoped, however.

20. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Only the live album is tough to find. The other's aren't.

21. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

You really cant judge the series on one or two of the books. A few of them I've really enjoyed, especially the Neutral Milk Hotel book.

22. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

All I'm really free to say is that the box is real. And you're only hearing that from me because the news has been broken twice (first time was with the release of that Big Star promo film excerpt on Oxford American to tie in with Thank You Friends; second with that article above).

You'll like who all's working on it when they make that public.

Beyond that there's not much I can say as I've been asked to keep my trap shut.

I'm expecting 4 discs, late '09 release. My expectation (based on who's working on it) is that this will be done RIGHT. Great sound, great packaging, everything fans will want.

23. Expanding Man

Expanding Man New Member

24. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Sounds like great news to me!

25. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

This sounds great, I am happy to wait if it is indeed done RIGHT! Could well be the highlight of my musical year...

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.