Marvin Gaye "What's Goin On" MFSL SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by let him run..., Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. art

art Senior Member

Go back and read post #32 in this thread.

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

You guys who got low numbers where did you get your copies? I got my copy, which shipped the first day it was available from Music Direct (before they were pulled), and it is number 02032.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Hi Mike, Musicdirect for me as well. I preordered it as soon as it appeared on their web page (Date was TBD at that time). I always do this for ones I know I want (I have a few more in line) :)

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Same here, I have every MFSL CD/SACD shown on their site as TBD on pre-order already, and this disc was on pre-order from day 1. May just be a fluke that they opened a box and shipped me one of the higher numbers. Not that I care - I don't buy them for the limited edition number.. I buy them for the music. Yet if they ever shipped me a number like 00001, I probably would be beside myself. :)

5. eelkiller

Likewise, I just played this SACD from beginning to end and it was worth the wait and then some. I can't wait for the second Marvin Gaye title :)

6. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

Saw plenty of them at the T.H.E. show (I'm waiting for the vinyl :D).

7. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind getting this one. Maybe in a few weeks.

8. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

No idea what a T.H.E. show is, but did you see the Foghat SACD there?

9. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Ohh, I missed that earlier posting about what exactly was wrong. I guess I can understand why they pulled them, then. In theory, that could be construed as "false advertising" if the blurb says it's a gold disc and it's not.

I'd have to have to be the one who reinserts all those corrected versions, though!

10. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I just read the liner notes after seeing this post. I don't know why but I usually don't read them until after playing a disc a few times. Thanks to you, I'll probably change this.

11. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

CES!!!

12. eelkiller

Foghat is listed for February on Mofi's site (FWIW)

13. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Says January if I check it.

Attached Files:

14. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Now it says March 30 for the release date on tower.com

15. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

How does the SACD What's going on compare to the Deluxe edition with the Detroit mix?
    How does it compare to other editions?

16. sneakmasterG

sneakmasterG Forum Resident

I ordered the SACD from dvdpacific a few days ago. The order status is now showing as "packed" which I assume means it is ready to ship (I can no longer cancel this item, but I still can the other items I have on pre-order). I'll keep my fingers crossed.

http://www.cdpacific.com/search.asp?t=what's+going+on&a=&swsacd=1&sws=1

As of this typing, it still shows to be in stock. Might be worth a shot for those who don't want to wait.

17. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

Amazon has it listed as in stock and "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com". Pulling the trigger on this one now as this is one of my favorite albums of all time.

By the way, has anyone heard the MFSL version of "Let's Get It On" and can compare it to the previous SACD release? I think the first SACD version is one of the best-sounding discs I've ever heard.

18. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member

Just got my shipping notice from cduniverse for the Marvin Gaye one. Will take at least another week to get here, but that's fine. I'm off shopping in London for the weekend :)

19. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I bought a copy off Caiman and I have had a shipping notice as well. Seems like some the bad artwork batch got out there before a recall.

20. robertawillisjr

I still haven't the chance to listen to the redbook tracks, but the SACD tracks sound the best of any version (IMHO).

21. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Why would you listen to the CD tracks?

22. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Any details about the redbook CD layer would be much appreciated :righton:

23. robertawillisjr

Because some folks here asked.:wave:

24. robertawillisjr

OK. Took some time today to listen to the redbook tracks of the MFSL disk and also listened to the Motown Compact Classic and the Motown Deluxe Edition (the one with the Detroit Mix).

My preference is the SACD layer but not by as much as I thought. You can just hear so much of the music. The background music and vocals are somewhat more pronounced. The overall impression is that it is smoother. The production seems different in some subtle ways in that the balance (Left to right) is not the same as the redbook layer. I haven't convinced myself whetherI like this balance better or not. Also the "tinkly" instruments (cymbols, percussion, etc) sound a bit hard and everything sounds louder than the redbook layer. Louder may not necessarily be better because some of the louder vocals are distorted for very short periods of time. It only becomes apparent when listening very carefully. The distortion may also be on the other mixes but only apparent on the SACD due to its bandwidth.

The MFSL redbook layer is very good (considering the age of this music) with a good low end. It is more veiled than the SACD but I think it is the best of the CD's.

The Deluxe edition is good but it isn't up to the MFSL. It isn't as clear and much of the background music and vocals aren't of the same caliber.

The compact classic has been around for a long time. Its strongest point is that the "tinkly" instruments sound the most natural to me. The bass is the weakest, but I have listened to it many times without undue complaint.

Well I hope that this helps.

25. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Sure does, thanks! :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.