Marvin Gaye "What's Goin On" MFSL SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by let him run..., Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

I also really like the new MOFI packaging - high quality card and artwork. My Marvin is on its way to the UK...can't wait. :cool:

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

The old SACD is still available - as CD Universe has it in stock, Acoustic Sounds has it in stock, Elusive Disc has it in stock... etc, etc. So it isn't availability or price. Less channels -ok.

But to my ears, MOFI usually does a good job at what they have been doing of late. I suspect the MOFI disc will better the old SACD in the sonics department. By how much, we won't know until later this week or next.

3. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

Then count me in. :agree:

4. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

I agree....The Chronicles (Universal) SACD is great. Don't know how it would be improved.

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Who did the Universal SACD? (mastering) Does it sound as good as the What's Going On SACD that Rob Loverde did? I allready ordered the new disc so it is a moot point but I thought I would ask anyways. :)

6. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

Universal = Darcy Proper at Sony Music Studios. Equal to the vinyl IMHO.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Okay, I picked up the Mofi "What's Goin' On" hybrid SACD today, and added it to my collection of far too many versions of this LP. I need the forum members in Metro Detroit to help me out here and do everything in their power to prevent me from purchasing this album in any format ever again. :)

Regards,

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I received my Let's Get It On SACD from Music Direct. This one was mastered by Shawn Britton and it is another winner in my books. Hopefully someone will be able to compare to the other digital versions.

This is fun with these audiophile releases coming out on CD (Mofi and upcoming AF Gold). It reminds me of the "good old days". Expensive, yes, but great music and sound.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  9. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

I need help: I have the What's Going On/Let's Get It On 2-fer cd. Both sound really nice and smooth to my ears. Now, many folks around here say that the What's Going On MFSL sounds "excellent", but I really want to know if the bass has been jacked up or the EQ futzed with.

Anybody do any comparisons or wave forms....?

SinnerSaint likes this.
  10. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

I would be interested in more actual listening comparisons as well. I'm sure the MFSL sounds decent on its own, but I think it's more helpful to compare it to previous issues rather than listen to it in isolation.

BTW, the only reason I'm not picking up the MFSL Let's Get It On as a blind buy is because it sounds so great on the 2fer that scocs mentioned above. It's one of my favorite-sounding discs in my collection - really gorgeous sound, and definitely a much better listen than any of the Motown remasters.

11. mewdisk

mewdisk Member

Did anybody compare it to the Gavin Lurssen version of 'What's Going On'?
    I suspect the MFSL is better, just wondering by how much.

12. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

For what it is worth, I posted my impressions somewhere around pages 1, 2 or 3 of this thread.

13. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

I have not done an A/B comparison yet, but I will since I have both and will report back. FWIW, my knee-jerk reaction to the Redbook layer of the MFSL is that it sounds superb! So much so, that I have yet to spend any real time with the SACD layer (and that is completely contrary to my normal listening habits!)
    I have that version as well (plus the 2-disc "Deluxe Edition") and will compare all four. My pre-comparison, preconceived notion is that the MFSL will sound best, but I may surprise myself. All I know is that right now with the MFSL, I hear things in the mix I never knew were there. This is not done in a bad way or at the expense of other sounds. Overall, this is a rich, warm sounding disc with incredible clarity and loads of subtle detail. As always, YMMV, but I think this disc is a sonic delight!

14. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

For what it is worth, I posted my impressions somewhere around pages 1, 2 or 3 of this thread.

It's post #99. You make a lot of great observations, but the What's Going On/Let's Get it On 2-fer cd wasn't reviewed. I've compared all of them except the new MFSL, and the 2-fer was my favorite sounding....barely. I know many on the Forum prefer the 1994 remaster, while many others prefer the 2-fer. Seems like a coin flip when it comes to What's Going On....

SinnerSaint likes this.
  15. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

If you're talking about the Tom Baker mastered "two-fer"...I agree they sound pretty good on it but I think "If I Should Die Tonight" is missing the introductory orchestral swell at the beginning (I'll have to check to make sure, but I'm pretty sure it's missing from that version).

16. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Is that the Deluxe edition?

17. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

Yes, that is correct - besides the missing orchestral intro, it is also the "long" version of the song (the Lurssen remaster claimed to be the first to restore this song to its full length, but obviously that isn't totally accurate).

SergioRZ, we are talking about the old 1986 CD which combines What's Going On and Let's Get It On - not the deluxe edition.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  18. SergioRZ

Thanks for letting me know. :righton:

I don't like the Deluxe CD's.

19. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Yeah, I don't have the two-fer or the Universal SACD (I didn't know it existed. That is what makes this forum special).

20. Mister Kite

I don't think there is a Universal SACD of What's Going On. The two disc "Deluxe Edition" is not a hybrid (unless I missed something and it came out in two forms like they did with Tommy by The Who, first as a hybrid, then as CD only.) There IS a Universal SACD of "Let's Get It On" that sounds quite good IMO (especially the multi-channel mix.)

21. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

There's never been an SACD version of What's Going On before the MFSL, either stereo or 5.1. A couple of the songs (title track, "Mercy Mercy Me") were remixed for 5.1 for a couple surround-sound collections, though.

22. SergioRZ

I can't wait to see a waveform of the Mofi CD Layer (first track) :)

Anyone kind enough to share it with me? :righton:

23. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I received my disc (Nr 2927) from Caiman today.

Not only does it have the insert talking about 24k Gold CDs (not mentionning SACD), the plastic wrap also sports a sticker on the front saying "24kt Gold Collectors Edition". :)

24. Mister Kite

When I received my disc about a week ago I assumed it was the "corrected" version. Now, I am not so sure. As you can see, it has the same Gold CD insert as previously described, but it also came with a HYBRID SACD sticker on the shrinkwrap. Perhaps the "fix" was to rewrap older sets with a new sticker? If so, unless you are OCD like me and save EVERYTHING that comes with each CD/record you buy, it may be next to impossible to tell apart a "recalled" disc from the "revised."

Whoops... Now that I look more closely, my catalog number (on the case and disc label) is UDSA 2038 and you said yours is Nr 2927. What's that all about?? :confused:

Attached Files:

SinnerSaint likes this.
  25. Mister Kite

I typed the catalog number incorrectly and could not go back and edit my post. The number should read: UDSACD 2038. Is that the same as the recalled disc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.