Rega P5 vs. P3-24

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TVC15, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

No... the RB301 uese 3 wood screws to hold the tonearm in position... where the RB700 has a big bore threaded body.

2. scotto

scotto Senior Member

The RB700 uses the three-point mounting.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Not according to this: http://www.vinylengine.com/a-guide-rega-tonearms.shtml

Looks like a 3 point mounting system to me. Not sure if the RB301 and RB700 have the exact mounting points.

4. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I don't understand the build quality differences. The lower end models seem to be nothing more than the higher end plinth without the surround/flare on each side. Am I wrong? From an economies of scale standpoint, it would makes perfect sense to me that Rega utilizes the basic plinth for each table only providing variation on the finish (flares, lacquer, etc...).

To me, it seems the only real major difference is the tonearm.

5. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

What are the specific differences in construction other than the finish and the flares on each side on the P5? My assumption here is that the finish and the flares do nothing for the sound. Honest question. I'd like to know.

Have you put a RB700 on a P3-24 with TT-PSU and compared to a P5 w/o TT-PSU?

6. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Its definitely a three-point. How is it secured to the base... wood screws like the P3-24?

I was thinking of a simple mod to drill out the holes and use bolts to secure to the plinth. After a few VTA/shim experiments the wood screws no longer mount securely.

7. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

Interesting! I didn't know that Rega has switched most if not all to the same 3 points mounting as the P1! Now, that makes me wonder about the motor...

8. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

All of this chatter about what you could do to make the P3-24 closer to the P5 is exactly why I got the P5 with PSU in the first place. :laugh:

Just go for the P7 and never worry again! :D

9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Interesting that none of the Rega dealers on the forum have weighed in yet. . .

10. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I don't have the details in front of me, so I hope I don't screw up this explanation, but here goes:
    The "flare" frame of the P5, P7, and P9 aren't just decorative doodads. If you compare the plinths of the P5 and above tables with that of the P3 and lower, you'll see that they are different sizes, construction, and materials. The frame serves to provide expanded "real estate" of the plinth (essentially giving it similar dimensions to the P3), but it's decoupled so that extra size doesn't diminish the isolation characteristics.
    Here's info from the Rega website:
    http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm
    Not sure if I helped or made hash of that explanation, but there's a huge difference in design and materials.
    Where's a Rega dealer on this forum when you need one?

11. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

You know, one of the things I like about my P3-24 (besides the fact that it sounds fabulous) is that it doesn't call too much attention to itself with lots of bling-bling. Frankly, I'd be a bit embarrassed to tell any normal person how much I've spent on my stereo equipment and I appreciate the fact that the P3-24 doesn't prompt people to bug out their eyes and ask how much it cost :shh: :)

12. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

You have to see it to decide, to me the plinth is tacky on the standard 3 24 and a step down from the previous and less expensive P3 2000. Obviously there is no sonic difference to the piano finish. I only wish the 3 24 had been a step up all around over the P3 2000- sonically, build and appearance. Having used R1 and RS3 I can say The new Rega speakers are a step up all around, better veneer finish and better sound.

13. TVC15

Well... maybe not a bad idea! I know margin is higher on the P7, so more room to.... :ignore:

14. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Thanks Scotto! I'm not buying that the frame contributes to the sound. If the actual plinth is made of different materials then that could affect the sound. I guess they are saying they are saying the the plinth materials for the P3-24 and the P5 (and higher) are different?

I'd be interested to hear the answer to this from a Rega dealer. Seems surprising to me because when I remove the tonearm from my P5, I see that the plinth material is nothing special. The finish on the tables is different, as stated earlier in the thread by perhaps you and others. I would be surprised if the underlying material is differenct because on the P5, it looks like it's nothing more than particle board. My memory could be wrong on that because I haven't looked at in a while. I do remember it not being solid wood (obviously, light and rigid). Hence, how could the underlying material on the P3-24 and lower tables be any less sophisticated? Is the argument that the finish contributes to the sound?

15. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Thanks Scotto! I have a hard time buying into the idea that the frame contributes to the sound. If the actual plinth is made of different materials then that could affect the sound. I guess they are saying they are saying the the plinth materials for the P3-24 and the P5 (and higher) are different?

I'd be interested to hear the answer to this from a Rega dealer. Seems surprising to me because when I remove the tonearm from my P5, I see that the plinth material is nothing special. The finish on the tables is different, as stated earlier in the thread by perhaps you and others. I would be surprised if the underlying material is different because on the P5, it looks like it's nothing more than particle board. My memory could be wrong on that because I haven't looked at in a while. I do remember it not being solid wood (obviously, light and rigid). Hence, how could the underlying material on the P3-24 and lower tables be any less sophisticated?

Is the argument that the finish and the frame contributes to the sound? I have a hard time believing that. I would believe that underlying material and dimension differences of this material contributes to differences in sound.

16. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Until our friendly neighborhood Rega dealer comes along, maybe this review from Stereophile will describe things a bit better than I did:
    http://www.stereophile.com/turntables/1204rega/
    Actually, I'm not sure a Rega dealer would want to wade into this morass in the first place.

17. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Thanks, I'll read that link. Maybe I really don't know anything about light and rigid plinths and those things affect the sound? That is more than plausible. :)

18. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Maybe not. But I think we can discuss these things cordially and allow for differences of opinion. I was hoping KT88 or BDiddy would post.

I still have my P5 and play it occasionally. They are great tables.

I would likely just bypass the P3-24 and get a P5. And then get the TT-PSU later (the PSU offers such an improvement that it should be mandatory, imo).

19. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

This thread may confuse prospective Rega buyers more than they'd want to be. There has been confusion regarding the tonearm mounting scheme, motor, bearing, plinth, and even paint. These tables are simple, yet effective in conveying an involving musical experience. The confusion arises because people post on threads with no firsthand knowledge of the product. Let's state the obvious and go on from there.

P3/24 & P5 similarities:
    Same 12mm glass platter with felt mat.
    Same bearing assembly which includes the brass housing and subplatter with steel ball bearing, exactly the same.
    Same 24V motor and internal power supply, exactly the same.
    Same belt.

Differences:
    Tonearm-
    RB-301 - P3/24 Shares the same style mounting scheme - 3 point.
    RB-700 - P5 - Better bearings and stainless 3 point mount.

Plinth-
    Core of the plinth appears to be exactly the same, although I must admit I've never closely examined them. I don't know if the P5 has some sort of decoupling scheme with the surround or not. The P3 definitely is simpler to manufacture than the P5.
    Feet- same.

I currently own a P5 and a P3-2000. :)

20. TVC15

I'll go out on a limb here and assume the P5 is essentially a P3 with dressed-up plinth and the fancier tonearm.

The Stereophile review seems to suggest (between the lines) that the P3 is really the sweet spot in the line, and you have to move all the way to the P9 to take your sound to the next level.

21. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

LOL... Even I am still learning about Rega TT.

22. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

I took it more that the P3-24 sounds great for the price (esp with PSU added) and the P5 is better (without PSU) than the P3 (with PSU). The P7 does not sound like it is worth double the price of the P5 (with PSU). Reading between the lines of course I think the P5 is the sweet spot because of the much better arm. Others who want to spend less may not think the arm of the P5 is worth the difference- probably without hearing both.

I see 2 sweet spots in the lineup. The P3-24 and then the P5. :winkgrin:

23. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I guess I read very differently than you do. I see a lot of questions, some opinions, and aside from the first page, very little "confusion".

24. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Yes, I'm easily confused. Thanks for pointing that out. :righton:

25. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

This has been a great thread as is usually the case with this forum I feel more informed after reading it. I am extremely excited to go pick up my P5 this weekend! Now I probably need to think about upgrading my phono stage so I can actually hear all the sonic benefits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.