Rega P5 vs. P3-24

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TVC15, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

The real Rega value is at the lower price points. You'd be hard pressed to match or outdo it at that level. Though they are going more upmarket nowadays (might have to rephrase that "sensibly priced" part of the mission statement when the 5000 dollar cd player comes out). Their really exceptional value products seem to always be at the lower price points. At the P9 price level the options really open up. About 9 or ten years ago Wayne Garcia did an interview in a magazine called Fi on the Planar 9 and had to pull his Planar 3 out to make sure he heard it right. He said the 3 got the music better and Rega needed to go back to the drawing board (you probably won't see a review like that nowadays), the current P9 is not the same table he reviewed though. Rega did go back to the drawing board.

2. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

3. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Anytime.

Seriously though. That's not what I mean. I think when people have questions and there are a lot of questions, that it doesn't mean confusion.

I think there was some confusion about the tonearm mounting schemes and thanks for pointing that out - that the difference is the steel base on the RB700 while the mounting scheme is the same.

It just looks like to me that the only difference for these tables is the tonearm and maybe base plinth dimensions.

4. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I'm in agreement with you there. That's what I was trying to illustrate in my long winded post. ;)

5. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well.... it's a review of the P5 and P7 that ultimately reccomends the P3 or P9. Take from that what you will. Stereo reviews are never explicitly negative.

Anyway... the price difference between the P3-24 and P5 ($400 or so) also suggests that the real difference is in the tonearm and trim.

I'm going to stick with the P3-24 and not risk an "upgrade". Was just disappointed in a 10x5 to 20X "upgrade", so I'm a little gunshy.

6. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I'm still thinking that a used P5/PSU is likely to be my next table unless I find a steal on a Scout. I know these tables don't sound the same but like the sound of both lines.

jlw...Alan is a bit too weird for me. I'm glad there's a shop in Atlanta doing well with 2 channel audio but its a long way from me and I like to buy most gear used and let someone else take the hit on the depreciation.

7. TVC15

Alan has been good to me... from a customer service point-of-view. He won't deal on price, though. My P3-24 is the only piece of gear I own that I've bought new.

8. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

I went from a P3 (just straight up, not -24) to a P5 and it was a huge improvement. Pianos sounded more real, bass had more authority, and overall there was more detail and body to the music. The upgrade to the PSU was smaller overall for me.

I guess I read Art Dudley's review quite differently. He says that P3 is a good model to someone NEW to perfectionist audio, because such people generally don't want to spend over $1000 new. But he clearly likes the P5 much more overall:

9. TVC15

It is a haul, eh? Freakin' Lilburn of all places. Though I grew up like 5 minutes from there in Stone Mountain (Now suburban ghetto which Atlanta is becoming famous for). May move down to Candler Park area.... just had an attempted kidnapping on my street here in lovely East Cobb. Oh, and a forced entry robbery on Paper Mill yesterday... tied up the homeowners and everything. Oh, and a driveway robbery at gunpoint last Sat night. East Cobb, folks... not exactly Newark NJ.

People can stop moving here now... it officially sucks. We are out of water and police overburdened with crime. The low taxes are nice until you realize you have zero police protection, no libraries, no parks.... it was nice at 1.5mm people in '78. A little crowded but manageable at 3mm in '90. At 5.5mm it's a nightmare.

*SIGH* Maybe I'll just get a used P9 and forget about it.

10. ellingtonic

I live down in Cabbagetown and it is quiet a trip considering that over 99% of what I do is within 5 miles of home. Candler Park is nice but I think property crimes are on the rise everywhere and taxes/water are a good bit higher in the city. Still, it is wonderful to be able to walk to so many places.

The P9 is quite nice and there have been a few decent deals on Audiogon lately. If you keep the P3 and I get a P5 next month maybe we could compare the two.

11. roro1

roro1 New Member

Forget the rega.Buy a scout at that price point.I watch a gone and the scout holds value used much better.That's why i have a scout.

12. Vinyl-Addict

Did you ever audition a Rega TT? I ask only because of what you stated in your post.

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The only thing I can say - which I've said already: the P5 was a pretty noticeable improvement over the P3-24. I noticed it within seconds of putting the needle down on the P5 after listening to the same musical passage on a 3-24. A factor for some (me included) was the price jump....thats up to the individual. The 3-24 is still one heckuva nice sounding TT but I found the P5 to be a good deal given the sonic improvement I heard. And...if you get the precision machined groovetracer subplatter and the Rega PSU for the P5, you've made a significant upgrade towards the higher Rega's.....done in stages.

14. roro1

roro1 New Member

Nope read every post i could find on the net though before i bought.
    I choose the scout because the motor is seperate.It's better looking imo.
    There is also a upgrade path the rega has none.I will tell you this though the vpi upgrades are a rip off.It's just better to sell and buy a more exspensive vpi.
    The rega has a pot on the motor that allows you to change the speed in small increments.The scout does not have this.It also runs a very small amount off speed.I can't tell the difference but with that pot the rega has you probably with a strobe could get it to run almost perfect.I think the speed difference is something people call prat.
    Either way you will get a ok deck.I just bought the scout in no way am i doging the rega.
    I just feel the scout looks better built.

15. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Where turntables are concerned, everything contributes to the sound. Also, Roy Gandy has a specific and clear reason for everything he does with respect to design. If the P5 has a frame, it's because the turntable sounds better with it than without it.

16. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

17. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

18. roro1

roro1 New Member

Every review i have read from the average guy online says the scout is better.
    Not by a little, a lot.What i said about resale value is dead on too.
    Dainty average?I think not.I don't believe that review.Both are good entry level hifi decks .Both make good music.One is more sought after used it's not the rega.

19. ellingtonic

Actually there are a number of upgrades you can do on the P5 that will help the performance. I think the sound is somewhat personal preference, musical taste and the associated equipment. I tried to go away from vinyl last year and sold my Scoutmaster. Fortunately I kept 90% of my records. My current budget isn't what I'd like thanks to the economy but I think both Rega and VPI represent a lot of bang for the buck. Obviously they have different sounds but either would represent a nice entry back info vinyl and offer an upgrade path. Ultimately it will be a matter of budget for me.

20. Vinyl-Addict

The average guy may not have ever heard a P5 but having said that they are both good turntables and it comes to personal preference, not which one is "better". ;)

21. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

This thread is about the P5 and the P3-24, not whether the Scout is a better TT. Personally, TT's are not an 'investment' to me. If someone had listened to both a Scout & Rega P3 or P5 and posted in a helpful way, the observations might have more relevance. There is also some mis-information posted here regarding drive motors and upgrade capabilities.

22. roro1

roro1 New Member

Sorry but your wrong.I say this with respect but your dead wrong.
    I will add this there are those who prefer the p 5 to the p9.So it's a good deck.The new p 9 is better because of it's new arm.

23. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

Hey Guys,

I just posted this in another thread but was hoping for more opinions, this seemed like a good thread for it. I apologize if you have already read this, I'm just beside myself and distraught right now.

I figured this would pertain to this thread. I picked up my P5 today which is to replace my P1. I was going to move my Denon 160 cart to the P5. This was going to work out very nicely until I came home tonight.

I was about to remove the cart until I found that the stylus was completely bent backward! My roomate was the only one to use the table this weekend yet won't fess up to breaking it. I am outraged that he can't at least have the decency to own up to what he did.

So here I am now stuck with out a cart for my new P5. The thought of having to spend even more money is sickening as he's the one who broke it. But I guess that is rather here nor there. I am wondering if you guys have any recommendations for something to put on my P5. You can see my gear in my sig. I am trying to keep it together tonight and not go in there and clobber my roommate.

Thank you so much, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    A disheartened -Clipper

24. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

that sucks man. you need to confront him, if you're 100% sure it was him who bent stylus. but anyway, what is your budget for a new cart? the P5 can handle a pretty fine cart, so it's all about what you can afford. a Dynavector 17D3 would sound incredible on a P5, and the arm would do it justice, but that might be more than you can afford. an Ortofon 2M Black would also sound great, and no need for a MC phono stage.

it's all about the budget ;)

25. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

Hey Coldacre,

I guess I could spend around $500 or so. I really kills me to even be spending this extra money as I was counting on just stepping the Denon up from the P1.

I have confronted him and he has no morals and won't fess up. He will not be touching this P5 ever, thats for damn sure.

If I do spend the extra bux I just want to make sure that the cart is a clear step up form the Denon 160, as I read that it was a real performer for its relatively low price. The only thing I want to stay away from is a cart that is so precise or something that the only records that sound good are audiophile-grade stuff.

Thanks so much,
    -Clipper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.