Restless Heart appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Do any of you remember the 1980s-early 1990s country-pop band Restless Heart? Larry Stewart definitely has a very distinctive voice that blends well with the excellent musicianship of the band. Their first 4 albums contain the bulk of their best material (and are the 4 albums that had been released on vinyl LPs by RCA) although "When She Cries" from "Big Iron Horses" was their biggest hit and Larry had already left the band to try a solo career which wasn't as commercially successful as the band has been over the years. They had disbanded to try other things in the music business, but they are back together and touring, all original members intact and do sound just as good as they were in their prime.

www.restlessheartband.com

MYQ1 and RickH like this.
  2. CD Heaven West

CD Heaven West Active Member

Now that they're back together, I would love to see them. I basically am only familiar with their hits but really like most of them especially "Black or White" and the Bluest Eyes in Texas. I think that's the name of it. I have a copy of their greatest hits CD and I think it's a great collection.
    Bruce

3. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

One of the first "cross-over" type Pop / Country bands IIRC? Weren't these guys basically Rascall Flatts LONG before that band was ever dreamed of? A concept that has made a LOT of newer bands very wealthy the past few years!

clhboa likes this.
  4. BradOlson

Yes, they were one of the first bands of their kind, but they have actual music talent, a self-contained band. They were actually put together by their producer, Tim DuBois, for the money, but they ended up becoming a great band in their own right, and are session musicians on the side, while Rascal Flatts is more a vocal group. They do compare to Rascal Flatts in the sense that they are all male.

5. BradOlson

The Bluest Eyes In Texas is definitely one of their best songs.

6. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

"I'll Still Be Loving You" is a great song that I pull out every now and then. I have very fond memories of it.
    "When She Cries" was good and I remember that album had a couple of other good tracks as singles but I am not familiar with the rest of their material.

Comet01 likes this.
  7. BradOlson

I'll Still Be Loving You, one of their only pop chart hits as well as a #1 country hit and on their "Wheels" album, is definitely a classic.

Comet01 likes this.
  8. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Both of those were Top 40 pop hits in an era when country crossover hits basically didn't exist.

"I'll Still Be Loving You," if memory serves, was the only country hit to make the Top 40 on the pop charts between "This Woman" by Kenny Rogers (early 1984) and "Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus (summer of 1992).

"When She Cries" was so successful on the pop charts that RCA issued a follow-up single to pop and adult-contemporary radio called "Tell Me What You Dream." It almost made the top 40 pop and it spent two weeks at #1 on the AC chart. It wasn't even serviced to country radio and it didn't chart there. "Tell Me What You Dream" was a remake of a Timothy B. Schmit solo song.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

That's right, "Tell Me What You Dream"! I haven't heard that song since it was played on VH-1 but it was a very good song. Perhaps I'll have to check out a compilation of theirs.

10. CD Heaven West

CD Heaven West Active Member

Ah, I forgot about "Tell me what you Dream". Another one of my favorites.
    Bruce

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I liked playing "When She Cries" when I was working in Country Radio back in the day. A very good band!

Evan

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

"I'll Still Be Lovin' You" brings back memories of a girl who I was very madly in love with when I was 20.

Thanks for re-opening old wounds, guys. :cry: :p

clhboa likes this.
  13. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

sheesh-I thought this was a David Coverdale thread (at long last)

Jeremy Holiday and agentalbert like this.
  14. mickeyfrith

mickeyfrith Forum Resident

These guys are awesome. To me, they were right up there with Alabama and Baillie and the Boys as far as their talent and output. I only have one disc by them (so far), but I thoroughly enjoy it.

Attached Files:

15. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Not even close, my friend. They did it without Autotune.

NJB

16. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Lots of great Restless Heart songs: "I'll Still Be Loving You," "When She Cries," and "A Tender Lie," for starters.

17. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Good group! Mickey: Did you notice some manufacturing defects with the disc? There were reports of some track indexing errors where the first couple notes of the tunes were on the previous track.
    Anyone heard the RCA Country Legends version?

18. BradOlson

Yes, they did it without AutoTune and had the male harmony vocal band style down a lot better than a lot of today's generation of bands.

19. For The Love

For The Love Active Member

One of my favorite country groups, Rascal Flats can't touch these guys.

It's really a shame what has happened to what is perceived as talent these days as far as the country market goes.

Restless Heart has more talent for harmonies than most groups that have been around.

I miss the days of Alabama, The Oak Ridge Boys and Restless Heart on the radio.

MYQ1 likes this.
  20. BradOlson

I agree with these sentences big time.

21. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

I was thinking the same thing not long ago. I used to enjoy country radio back in the days when those acts were dominating, now, if it's on, I can't leave it for ten minutes before some song comes on forcing me to change the channel.

22. michelle

michelle Member

"As Far As I Can Tell" from their Big Iron Horses cd----what a great song!! I haven't thought of this band in a long time so thanks for giving me the idea to pull some of their stuff off the shelf! I forgot how much I enjoyed their music. Thanks!

23. BradOlson

RCA Country Legends focuses almost exclusively on their earlier hits such as I Want Everyone To Cry, Back To The Heartbreak Kid, Wheels, I'll Still Be Loving You, Till I Loved You, Why Does It Have To Be (Wrong Or Right), etc. while there is some overlap on "Greatest Hits" but not as much overlap.

24. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

They also did a song on "The Secret Of My Success" soundtrack called, "Don't Ask The Reasons Why". Very nice song.

Ed

25. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

I'm not Mickey, but yes, my disc has that same error, and it is the same on all 3 copies I've encountered. A shame, really...lots of great tunes on that record.......

NJB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.