Electric Light Orchestra - albums on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andreas, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Jamie, thanks for reporting back! Interesting to read.

What parts of the album did you guys listen to for your critical listening?

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Mr. Blue Sky was the one track we really focused on.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

He didn't say and I don't want to speak for Joe here but the Blu-Spec did sound better.

Again, I'm really stunned with these results. Now I'm questioning other things in my life. :laugh:

BTW, it was such a nice experience listening with Joe. I could just tell how proud he was of his work. He's described how much effort and time went into the remasters. It's the same care and attention of an audiophile release.

4. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

Yeah that's all well and good Jamie but what about my rants.....?????

;) :righton:

T.

5. Jamie, I can't say thank you enough. I bought the Blu-Spec of 'Out Of The Blue', but since it had the Joe Palmaccio mastering, I didn't make it a priority to even open it up, let alone listen to it. I consider Joe's remaster of 'Out Of The Blue', to be my favorite of the album on CD.

I have to ask Jamie, what is the packaging like with the Blu-Spec of 'Out Of The Blue'? The CD jewel case is slightly larger than a single CD case, so I'm figuring it was to fit the poster and cardboard spaceship that came with the Japan mini LP CD?

6. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member Thread Starter

That means there is a pressing problem with the remastered CD that does degrade the sound somehow when played back on Joe's system. A CDR copy would probably eliminate the effect.

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

There's a lot of "stuff" in there (but no poster). Japanese lyrics, a Japanese explanation of Blu-Spec, Japanese liner notes, etc.

8. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Is this the original CD or a re-remaster? I have the Japan pressings which don't have mastering credits (or if there is, I didn't pay attention to it).

I read Joe Gastwirt did the orginal "Eldorado". Great stuff. I took my copy of Canada last year and A/B'd it with member Dave's DCC: we both picked Joe's mastering.

George P likes this.
  9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What's Canada?

10. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

:laugh: Just a bit north of you. I'll try again:

I took my 28DP pressing of "Eldorado" to Vancouver in December...

11. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thanks Jamie for posting your findings, This with KOB may well be the only to blu-spec discs I'll buy unless I'm too late :sigh:

Simon :)

12. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Wow, better than the DCC? I didn't think that was possible! :)

13. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Just my opinion. I suggest everyone do their own A/Bing.

The KOB may be OOP in Japan, but I don't know if it was a limited edition. I haven't seen it. With a new format you would think they would keep this one on the shelves. I can only assume this uses the same mastering (remix with corrected speed) as the last SACD/Hybrid (mini-LP) and not the '97 SACD remaster Steve likes. There are a lot of Jeff Beck blu-spec, and other Epic artists, along with the usual Columbia titles.

Jamie, how are you recovering from your life altering experience?

14. darkmatter

Hi Darcy is that the first pressing? I should know :hide:

Best,

15. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

As far as I know.

16. darkmatter

Off a hunting I go!!

Many thanks :cheers:

17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Hi Simon

I did a search. These blue spec CDs are all limited editions. KOB is nowhere around. :eek:
    But you can still purchase OOTB.

18. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Because of this thread I pulled out the remastered/expanded edition of Eldorado last night. I haven't heard the DCC version but I can say that I thought this remastered version was absolutely wonderful. I wish all red book CDs would sound even close to this.

19. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Can this be corroborated? Is the CSCS 6032 mastering identical to the 42DP? Can anyone provide EAC levels for both, please?

20. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Here are peaks for Out Of The Blue - 42DP-479:

89.0 / 85.4 / 89.5 / 91.4 / 91.3 / 92.9 / 87.1 / 92.1 / 80.9 / 84.0 / 78.0 / 87.8 / 97.7 / 88.6 / 100.0 / 81.2 / 81.0

21. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Jamie,

First changed my avatar, and I hope you like it. Now we just need Mal to follow with a post. :winkgrin:

I did ask this in another thread but as yet hadn't received a response: How many of the songs on Face the Music are truncated on the JPN 1st? And would the shorter Fire On High used be the single edit (IIRC it was the b-side to Sweet talkin Woman)?

It appears the mastering on that is liked here by quite a few.

Thank you

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The mistake master of Face the Music used the tapes for the "banded for airplay" promo version. That version was an edited submaster of the original mixdown master. Hard to believe that would be anyone's first choice.

23. Andreas

I listened carefully to the first two albums on the old Jet CDs and was surprised how bad they sound, bright, drop-outs, significantly narrowed stereo images and lots of hiss. I have not heard the remasters of these two yet.

Used CD versions in the comparison:
    "No Answer" Epic/Jet ZK 35524
    "Electric Light Orchestra II" Epic/Jet ZK 35533
    "First Movement" EMI CDP 7 46713 2
    "The Best Of The Electric Light Orchestra" Disky DC 870042
    "Flashback" 3 CD set

My preferred CD versions for "Electric Light Orchestra (aka No Answer)":
    1. 10538 Overture - First Movement slightly over Flashback box set
    2. Look At Me Now - First Movement
    3. Nellie Takes Her Bow - only on No Answer CD
    4. Battle Of Marston Moor (July 2nd 1644) - First Movement
    5. 1st Movement - First Movement
    6. Mr. Radio - First Movement
    7. Manhattan Rumble (49th St. Massacre) - The Best Of (Disky)
    8. Queen Of The House - First Movement or The Best Of (Disky)
    9. Whisper In The Night - The Best Of (Disky)

"Electric Light Orchestra II":
    1. In Old England Town (Boogie #2) - First Movement or The Best Of (Disky)
    2. Mama - The Best Of (Disky) slightly over First Movement
    3. Roll Over Beethoven - Flashback even though it is missing 19 seconds interlude between Mama and Roll Over Beethoven which can be found at the end of "Momma" on The Best Of Disky; this interlude is attached to the beginning of Roll Over Beethoven on the No Answer CD
    4. From The Sun To The World (Boogie #1) - First Movement (version on the "Electric Light Orchestra II" CD sounds like a bad needle drop)
    5. Kuiama - First Movement

d.s.l. likes this.
  24. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

Has anyone determined if the cuts from ELO II on First Movement are the same as the Japan Nice Price (CSCS-6027)?

Is your UK EMI First Movement CD the same the Japan CP28?

EACs on CSCS-6027 are: 83.4, 69.7, 85.7, 70.9, 74.2
    EACs on the US Jet are: 97.7. 97.7, 97.7, 95.8, 95.7

25. Andreas

I have now finally obtained the Japan Nice Price CDs for the first two albums (CSCS 6026 and CSCS 6027) and can confirm that the mastering on the First Movement is different from those two CDs, but they sound very similar. I can now say that the two CSCS CDs are miles better than the Jet CDs and also beat the aforementioned "The Best Of The Electric Light Orchestra" Disky CD.

The comparison against the First Movement CD is more subtle and there is no clear preference, but I guess it is a case by case decision. From The Sun To The World has a slight fade-up at the beginning of the CSCS but it also sounds much more open than the version on First Movement. The songs on ELO II in genereal are a bit brighter than the corresponding ones on First Movement. But after my first listening sessions, my conclusion is:

The Japanese CSCS 6026 features the best CD version for every track of the first album.

For ELO II, it is a tie between The First Movement CD and the Japanese CSCS 6027 CD.

yesstiles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.