Where is Frosty of Lee Michaels fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IndyTodd, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member Thread Starter

Is Frosty still alive? Still performing?

2. cnath

cnath Senior Member

look up Barry "Frosty" Smith- still plays around Austin i believe...
    I have an album by a group called Soulhat that Barry played with - good stuff...

Cnath

GodShifter likes this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I will, unfortunately, always remember seeing Frosty doing a "drum solo" during his days with Lee Michaels.

After a time, the solo devolved into Frosty hitting the snare drum with the back of his bare hand as hard as he possibly could...with great long pauses between each hit.

Meanwhile, the crowd is cheering on the big fat guy like a crowd of bloodthirsty wretches at the Coliseum as he continues to hurt himself even more for their pleasure.

One of the worst rock 'n' roll moments I can remember in a lifetime of good ones.

GodShifter, rstamberg and Guy E like this.
  4. IndyTodd

Thks!

5. I read somewhere that he passed away a few years ago.

6. IndyTodd

Well, so far we've learned he's either alive in Austin or dead.

Pennywise likes this.
  7. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Saw Lee and Frosty open for Blood Sweat and Tears in early 1971. Great drummer! What a great rock duo those two were.

MrSparty likes this.
  8. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

He's evidently alive in Austin, as he played on Marcia Ball's Peace, Love & BBQ released last year.

9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Wow, that's a name from the past. Still have all my Lee Michaels albums, need to pull them out from a spin.

10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

yea but i could do without those extended drum solos. i'm a drummer and they do nothing for me. otherwise,yes,great duo.

11. glea

glea Forum Resident

SweatHog, that was the band Frosty had after Lee Michaels. I can just remember the awful cover with the flying pigs...

12. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

13. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Attached Files:

14. glea

glea Forum Resident

jeez what was I thinking of then... just some old record shop flash back to the wrong reality. I have the P Faries, but that's not what I was thinking... some other awful early 70's band I was remembering. Flying pigs, yes, but with goofy faces??

15. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Saw them open for Sabbath in '71. Pretty good, IIRC.

16. glea

glea Forum Resident

this is what it was... man, I did not want to lose sleep over this memory. You could see how this could have gotten fragmented in my mind. Two bands I didn't want to remember become one horrible image

Attached Files:

17. BFrank

BFrank Forum Resident

18. IndyTodd

Thks for the updates everyone...glad to hear Frosty is still among the living!

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Found a nice original (A&M brown label) of Lee Michaels "5" album a few weeks
    ago (w/ Do You Know What I mean?) :righton:

MrSparty likes this.
  20. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Thanks for the picture and the memory. If I remember correctly, Hog Heaven was comprised of The Shondells, minus Tommy James.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

21. H-Man

H-Man Member

Yeah, I saw him do that bit at the Boston Teaparty opening for the Kinks (I think). I was probably one of the "bloodthirsty wretches" cheering him on too. Sorry...

Bill and MrSparty like this.
  22. MrSparty

MrSparty New Member

well, I'm sorry if you were upset with Frosty's routine, I've seen him many times with Lee and that was one of the highlights of the show was watching him just loosing himself in his playing he was known for that! He is now retired and living near Austin. But Mike your description is very disturbing, fat guy and blood thirsty wow, not how I witnessed it at all! Hope your wounds are healed, doesn't sound like it. My memories of Lee Michaels and Frosty are very good ones!

23. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Stormy Monday. Phenomenal.

bdfin and MrSparty like this.
  24. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I meant no disrespect to Frosty himself...if he genuinely enjoyed putting on that act, fine. (Like an earlier poster, drum solos of that ilk do absolutely nothing for me, and have nothing to do with "music" per se — so perhaps that colors my view.)

Nevertheless, I don't really have any "wounds" that need healing...and I stand by my take on the crowd's reaction to Frosty's routine.

25. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Yup.
    Among my favorite concert memories are seeing Lee and Frosty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.