Anyone into 'BREAKING BAD'?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by spice9, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spice9

spice9 Senior Member Thread Starter

I just discovered this show...it rocks! I only caught a few episodes of the second season and it's excellent. How about the old man with the 'finger bell'? Stuff like that shows terrific creative writing. Can't wait to catch up with Season 1 and the rest of this current season. Anyone else?

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Best show on TV right now. Just wish Direct TV would get AMC HD. Yes, watch Season 1. Incredible.

3. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

You definitely have to catch up with Season 1. My wife and I got onto this show from the get-go. My opinion, the best drama on TV right now. Great actor, that Bryan Cranston...to go from "Malcolm in the Middle" to this.

4. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Pick up season 1 right away. You'll love the beginnings of the situation you're watching now! This was black comedy at it's best through most of season 1.

This year with Walt's home life in shambles, it's a little heavy. I have faith in the writers, but I don't see how they can restore naive trust at home.

5. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

An excellent program, IMO. I'm pretty cynical when it comes to television shows, but the writers of this one really know how to create dramatic tension.

6. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

excellently written, acted, and produced. i enjoy the show, but find it very depressing and bleak -- almost no levity at all.

7. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Excellent show! I can't believe there's not more of a buzz about it. First two episodes this year were incredibly great!

8. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Count me in as a fan -- I think it's the best thing on TV now.

I find it hard to breath during the new episodes. Season 2 has been tough so far, and I don't think it'll get easier for Walter and Skylar anytime soon.

9. Tom in Houston

Ideas, anyone?

Where do think they are going with the footage they run at the very start of the shows? I'm talking about the one-eyed stuffed animal, half burnt up, pulled out of a backyard pool by men in hazard suits. Last week it was put in an evidence baggy and added to other bagged items along the edge of the pool, Walt's glasses included (I think).

Was this just Tuco's uncle's backyard? I don't remember a pool there in the middle of the desert. There wasn't an explosion while they were there, right?

Maybe I should go back and look, but I'm thinking this out of place footage is leading to season 2's finale, possibly a lab explosion. Does Walt's house have a pool? How about Jesse's new rental house?

10. efhjr

That's exactly what I'm thinking, especially about the explosion.

And I do think Walt's house does have a pool.

11. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

Fishing things out of water, toilets, etc. is a continuing visual motif in this show. I do suspect that the pool footage is where the show will finish the season.

Does anyone know how many episodes are left?

12. Claxton

Walt's house does indeed have a pool. My thought is that the burnt teddy bear is a remnant from his unborn daughter's room. The burnt bear floating in the pool was the first thing they showed at the beginning of the season 2 premiere and it made me tense and excited at what would unfold during the season. If there's a fire at Walt's house, how does it happen? Is he "cooking" at home? Does someone set it on fire? I never thought the first few minutes of a show could put so many questions in my head, but this one succeeded.

13. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

I don't make it a point to watch too many TV shows, but this is one of the few.
    It caught me at a dark point in my life last year and I absolutely love it! There's nothing redeeming about any of the characters other that Walter is trying to make good for his family under his stressful situation. Well conceived, acted, written, produced, edited. I can't imagine the tangle that the writers get into trying to develop these characters and weave them further into the future. The cliff hangers that we have endured until the next episode always leave me yelling at the TV, "NO! NO!!!!" It leaves you wanting more, more more. Great stuff! They sucked me in and I'm there until the end!
    :thumbsup:

14. Tom in Houston

With as many times as we've been to Walt's money stash in the baby's room, you'd think that stuffed animal could be found in the background. There are too many shows already this season to go back and review them all for just such a hunch, but I think Claxton may be right.

Now why would the writers make Walt's house explode? Cooking accident? Walt would have to be held hostage to cook at home. And we all know what happens to those who try to make Walt cook for them (see season 1).

Cover up to help them disappear? Attack?

And what was that happening to the brother-in-law in the elevator? Heart problem or Tuco's ghost/jinx?

Great show! For those wanting to tune in, it's on AMC (American Movie Classics channel), on Sunday nights (9 CDT, repeated at 10). It's not hard to just join in. The story moves/changes rapidly so a new viewer is living in the moment with the characters almost immediately.

If they do what they did last year they will rerun all this season during the week before the season finale. Season one is on DVD, now.

15. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

They're also available on Comcast 'On Demand' if anyone has cable.

Looks to me like they're giving him heart problems. He was drinking heavily in that episode after he had the elevator incident. I bet his promotion falls thru and this heart problem takes him off the case since he's close to discovering who Heisenberg really is. Distraction tactics. If this is the case, it'll keep Walter cooking for another season or so. Draw ... that ... story ... out... for ... as ... long ... as ... they ... can. And that's cool!

16. Tom in Houston

Then there's the shoplifting thing with her sister. It was character development, sure, but it's already served as a subplot and it doesn't appear to be going away. Think there's a future use for this shoplifting device.

And they cut the teaser ad for last week's show to imply that Jesse would be asked to kill the guy who towed the RV. It made such good sense. I can't believe we've heard the last of someone who knows how much the stolen drum of pre-meth chemical is worth.

And...

Great show!

17. efhjr

I took that as a panic attack -- a reaction to the huge new responsibility he acquired with the promotion.

He acted tough with his co-workers, but he's scared out of his wits about having to deal with more men like Tuco.

Killing Tuco was not easy for him -- that's why he threw away Tuco's teeth -- it kept reminding him that he had killed a man and almost died in the process.

And the opening scene showing the man who found the teeth after he crossed the river border into Texas is significant. It was a great way to show that no matter how many times a dealer like Tuco is killed, another is gonna come into the country and take his place.

18. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

That's a very insightful observation, Gene. :thumbsup:

19. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

Great observations, guys! I've been into this show since last season, too. In the great wasteland that is TV these days, this is such an oasis of everything great -- writing, acting, everything. It is a real shame that it seems to be so much under the radar. I can't find a single person at work who has even heard of it. They all know about every obscure reality show, though. That is the killer...

Anyway, glad to see some chatter about this excellent show. I, too, am very intrigued by the litle scenes with the burnt teddy bear!

Jamie

20. Tom in Houston

Cable listing for tonight: "Peakaboo" Walt returns to work. Skinny Pete gets ripped off. Jesse gets more than he bargained for. Skylar thanks Gretchen for paying for Walt's treatment.

Anybody want to speculate?

I'm glad Walt will return to having a reason to leave the home without suspicion, but the manure will hit the fan when Skylar finds out he has been paying his own medical bills.

Gretchen, IIRC, is the wife of Walt's college colleague who went on to become a near-billionaire based on studies both men (& Gretchen?) did in grad school. Last season they offered to pay for Walt's cancer treatments (but Walt has too much pride for that).

Didn't Skinny Pete get ripped off last week? Situation escalates?

Jesse's got his gun - what could be in store and billed as getting "more than he bargained for"? Shooting more than one? Finding himself overpowered and in a hostage situation?

Ideas anyone? Or we can just convene after the program runs.

21. Claxton

Probably best to discuss after it runs...this thing usually has so many twists that it's difficult to speculate.

22. Tom in Houston

Jesse didn't wipe his prints off the TV tuner knob.

23. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

it's a great show. i've been a fan from the start . . . tonite's was one of the best. the meth/dope heads felt pretty real.

dc

24. Tom in Houston

But both the meth heads had all their teeth! Casting gaff I guess :D

We all learned to back off when your girlfriend is tired of being called a skank.

And I thought condoms tucked up the tush was just for importers!

There appeared to be a rifle or shotgun next to the dead man at the market. Was that his gun, or theirs? I think it was lying with the business end pointing at him. I'm looking for a reason why they came home without a gun after having just used one across town. Jesse never took one from them. They never pulled one on him until they stole his.

25. Claxton

I don't know how the ATM robbery/killing will come back into the thread, but you know the writer's will find a way.

Jesse's interaction with the little kid and his disdain for the mother's lack of care was a nice touch. It showed a side of him I don't think we've really seen.

Going from the preview for next week's episode, it looks like Hank might get more than he bargained for with his new job in El Paso. Also, Walt and Jesse appear to be making a move to branch out of the ABQ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.