The Robin Trower Album-by-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Feel free to add your thoughts on the earlier albums we talked about. Maybe it'll get some more excitement going about Trower.

2. texron

texron Rory On

WOW, that would take up 3-4 pages:righton: I'm a trower freak from way back, bought BOS on vinyl the day it came out, I'm an old fart. I think my fav by him is BBC Radio 1, I always thought Trower was a GREAT live band. If his "live" album had BOS on it that might be my number 1. I love that song, almost seem surreal. Thought it fit great in the movie Rush, right before Greg Allman gets blow'd up real good. I see the hendrix influence, you'd have to be deaf not to but to call him a clone is just WRONG.His tone along with Dewer's voice... might be the best combo in rock history:hide: I'd be hard pressed to pick between the 2 but if forced to I'd take Robin, tomorrow it might be Jimi:angel: I revisited Caravan last night I didn't think much of it when it came out but it's aged well for me, am I the only one that heres some Jazz
    influences now and again? Except for his followers Robin seems to have gotten the short stick as far as his carreer goes, limited air play, small venues (he did play SOME big ones) too bad more haven't heard of him, there might be more discussion here!!

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

...to be continued...

4. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Although not fashionable in the least, I like the next two albums Take What You Need and In The Line Of Fire. The latter, in particular, has some of Robin's best soloing ever. He doesn't look upon them with much favour (feeling they were "commercial" moves), but I think there's some smokin' stuff there if one looks closely.

5. Grant

You missed one..."Passion", the next one I need to do...

6. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

My bad; that one has some good moments.

7. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Wow, I thought this thread had died and gone to heaven!

I'll be interested to read your thoughts on "Passion". I haven't played that one in years as I only have it on vinyl and my turntable's not the greatest.

First time I saw Trower live, back in 1985, he was touring behind this album, so it has some special memories in that regard.

8. Grant

It's actually one of my favorites!

Passion - 1987

1. Caroline
    2. Secret Doors
    3. If Forever
    4. Won't Even Think About You
    5. Passion
    6. No Time
    7. Night
    8. Bad Time
    9. One More Word

This was a one-off for the CNP Cresendo label. The sound quality is very good, IMO, and, again, different from all others. but, it has that "80s" sound that may raise a flag.

Once again, we find Trower trying for that elusive commercial hit single. Caroline was a good attempt. Too bad no one thought to actually issue it as a single. If Forever is another one of my favorites off the album, as is No Time.

The lead vocalist on this album really makes you long for James dewar, or, even Jack Bruce! He's just too white-bread for Trower, but he worked for getting that 80s pop sound. Trower's guitar sound was gone! At this point, he was just a player in the band. Even so, this is one of my favorite Robin Trower albums, and I don't even care about two or three of the songs!

My vinyl LP does not have the song "Night" on it. I'm wondering if it was added for the compact disc only.

Well, discuss!

Attached Files:

9. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

That's strange, my copy has "Night" on it. (Haven't looked at in ages, but I'm pretty sure.)

I agree, this album has a very "80s" sound to it. Davey Pattison is doing a lot better these days as Robin's vocalist, though. See, for example, here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CalcTiZag4

10. Good to see some action back with this Trower thread, all is not lost ... just my vinyl copy of "Beyond The Mist", still have not found the sucker ... :sigh:
    Too many records in the back room of this store (not complainin', just sayin':D) gotta A-Z them all soon to find what I want when I want it.

Ready to rock with the next 3 as they are in the rack behind me and whenever I locate BTM I'll chime in on it.
    Glad to see a continuum of this thread on such an amazing and overlooked guitar player ... "Passion" will be on the turntable first thing tomorrow.

11. boneywhitefoot

boneywhitefoot Member

Im amazed this has kicked off again.
    very cool.
    I dont have any of the albums from this stage onwards untill last year or so.
    early this year I played bridge of sighs for a guy who thought he was a child of the 70s
    bit of buddy and some rory too.
    went down really well , never herd of any of them before so left the cds to knock himself out with.

12. So your copy only has eight songs on it? Interesting ... The label on the pressing I have is solid orange with black print.

Here is a shot of the back cover track list from my GNP Crescendo GNPS 2187 LP with "Night" as track 3 on side 2.

Attached Files:

13. Grant

I'll look again. But I did five NDs of the vinyl and do not remember that track.

14. Steve S

Steve S New Member

Trower. Whow! I saw him 20 years ago when "Passion" came out at a local club. Awesome! Steve Hoffman, are you listening? Please consider Trower's output when you are deciding on (LP's) to remaster. (You forgot us... (LP) on "School's Out", I'm not giving up hope. I know other albums are more popular, but what about, "Back It Up"...... C,mon...!

15. texron

texron Rory On

Dream on:righton:

16. Steve S

Steve S New Member

In the age of "Obama" I believe I'm allowed to "dream on". I hope this isn''t taken as a negative to my responder, but more as to a "hope" that all things are possible. Trower is a long forgotten "GREAT".

17. texron

texron Rory On

:) I'm a Trower freak, have evrything he put out and then some:angel: but NO WAY will we see a Steve remaster of Trower. Hey, I'll vote for it and buy it but again...Dream on:D

18. Steve S

Steve S New Member

If Montose was possible, which I am extremely glad that it was, why not Trower. Does anyone know what Trower's current situation is? I don't mean to post this "lightly", I am genually concerned. The "Dewar" years were awesome!

19. Steve S

Steve S New Member

Not to dismiss your enthusiasm, but if "Passion" is your reference, then you need to listen earlier. You seem to dismiss the fact that Robin, was the band.

20. texron

texron Rory On

AMEN, His early work with Dewer is truly some of the best music ever made by anyone, he's touring right now, he's coming to Dallas in June.

21. boneywhitefoot

boneywhitefoot Member

listening to BLT at the mo,still turns my crank.
    dont let this album slip through the net:goodie:

22. getting back to Passion...

Had this LP pulled out and ready to spin weeks back and the next morning I heard the news that John Martyn has passed on and Robin got forgotten as I spent the next few days spinning classic JM LPs.

Saw this thread pop up again today, gave "Passion" a test drive twice in a row and well ... I'm on the fence grabbing with one hand and foot on this one.

Loving the solos, as always, but not really a big fan of the more formulaic and mainstream compositions as they seem a tad 'plodding' to me and the singing from Davey Pattison is solid but quite forgettable in light what has come before.

"If Forever", the instrumental track "Night" and "Bad Time" would be the only songs I would consider from this album for a retrospective 2 disc needledrop comp.

All in all, I give "Passion" 3/5 stars ... a solid and quite good pop/rock album but somewhat of a remote controlled passion and just not quite up to the artistic standards that Trower set for us with several of the previous releases.

23. texron

texron Rory On

I believe this is the sentiment of a lot (not all) of Trower fans, myself included. Check out his new one with Jack Bruce again....MUCH better.

24. Grant

You obviously have not read this thread that I started. I never, ever said that this album was my reference.

25. Are "Take What You Need" '88 and "In the Line of Fire" '90 still in the above modus operandi Grant? :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.