Carpenters Christmas Portrait

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cnzsystem, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cnzsystem

cnzsystem Member Thread Starter

Carpenters - Christmas Collection double CD seems to contain 17 tracks version of Carpenters Christmas Portrait .

Just wondering if anyone has this boxset? Does the "Ave Maria" on this boxset contain the chrous overdub?

2. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

To the best of my recollection, the Carpenters' Christmas recordings have been extensively discussed here, including variations and preferred versions. Have you done a thread search yet?

3. andrewz

andrewz Forum Resident

Yes, it does contain the chorus part. The only way to get the mix without the chorus is to seek out the LP or cassette tape. Though there was a West German CD of Christmas Portrait that used the original mix.

4. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

Yes, it's the overdubbed version as mentioned above. In addition, this set uses a remixed version of Christmas Portrait with lots of reverb.

5. cnzsystem

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

7. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It's not that rare, is it?

There is at least one copy at Amazon DE marketplace for 8 euros.

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Are we sure it's the 17-track WG edition?

9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

10. cnzsystem

This is the CD I won. Actual picture by seller. It shows 17 Tracks.

Maybe Keith can confirm it since he has a copy.

Attached Files:

11. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

That looks about right. Keith what say you?

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yours is legit. We were inquiring about the one in the amazon marketplace. There's no photos there.

13. cnzsystem

Can't wait to receive it and give it a spin :D

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

cnzsystem is getting the real deal. It's a rare disc. Not the rarest disc in my experience, but rare enough.

Most owners don't know what they have. They figure it's just an old Carpenters Christmas CD and can't be rare or worth much. I got a mint copy cheap last year.

15. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

...which I just grabbed;)

16. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I picked mine up in Munich Germany in the late '80s. It was rather bizarre being on a tour of the country, with some free time in Munich, and I popped into this little record store in the old Marienplatz area (it's long-gone, replaced by big clothing stores!). Buying a Christmas CD in the middle of summer just seemed so weird, but I recognized that it at least wasn't the "Special Edition' that we had in the States. Little did I realize at the time that it was the world's only digital version of the old LP mixes.

Looking at the picture posted here - I never noticed the two A&M logos on the back - one in the "parchment" area, and one down below. I'll have to look at mine when I get home.

Harry

18. cnzsystem

You are starting to worry me. I hope mine is a legit version :shh:

19. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

No need to worry. You've got the right one.

20. cnzsystem

Looking on YouTube to my surprise I cannot find the version of "Ave Maria" without the chrous. Have to wait for a week or so to arrive.

21. HGN2001

Yes, sorry for the scare. I've checked mine at home and it does indeed have the two instances of the logo on the back.

Looking at it all condensed on the computer screen made it look a little odd, but the lower one is a satement of the copyright of the logo.

I have only one remaining worry for you, and this one's hearsay that I've never verified. There was a story from a European member of our A&M Corner website, I believe, who claimed that the original mix (no choir) version of the album was pulled after Richard found out about the release, and a remix version substituted with the same artwork and catalog number.

I have no idea if that's true, but I have/had no reason to doubt the claim either. Best thing to do when you get the disc is to go right to the final track and listen for the choir on the crescendo. If its not there - you've got an original.

As Keith said, though it seems like an impossible disc to find, it's actually rather easy. There must have been a fair number of these printed and distributed, and their owners seem willing to part with them for a modest price, not realizing their value to a collector/fan.

Harry

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

In the past year, I've seen a few copies sell on the cheap, including the two mentioned here. However, the first copy I ever saw on eBay, going back a couple of years, had a $250 Buy It Now and someone bought it. I paid $70 for a copy about a year ago. Ironically, I scored a second copy in much better condition for $15 a few months later.

Simon A likes this.
  23. cnzsystem

I have never heard the original version so when I get the CD, if you don't mind, I can send an mp3 to you to have a listen to determine if this is the correct version :D

24. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

This brings back good old memories to me. It was the first time I got to listen to Abba's then brandnew single "Dancing queen" in exactly this little record store in Munich near Marienplatz back in 1976.
    There were so many nice little record stores in Munich or Cologne were I grew up. They're all gone now....:cry:

Simon A likes this.
  25. HGN2001

I remember coming back to the big Marienplatz square after purchasing the CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT album to find my wife sitting and chatting with an elderly local woman, and the expression on my wife's face when I told her I'd just bought a Christmas CD in late May!

I give her the same expression now when she drags me into Christmas shops out of season.

Harry

Simon A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.