Power conditioner making sound worse

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Puma Cat, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I don't think a standard UPS does much in the way of line conditioning. It also isn't designed for high current applications like power amps; in the event power goes down.

APC makes some nice line conditioners though. I use several of them. I took my Tripp-Lite off my main system though because it seemed to have difficulty handling the power amp at high volume.

The voltage meter on my Monster line conditioner would dip erratically so now I run the Monster right to the power outlet.

2. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

3. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

You and 20 other neighbors should hound the electric company to fix that transformer on your block. You guys are within your right to have a reliable electric service.

4. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

5. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

When I moved into the house I have now, back 15 years ago, my power was always going down and it also had moments when it would go low and it just never seemed right.

Three years ago, a tree limb took down a transformer and when they replaced it, they moved it to another pole which is right where my house connects.

I have never had such good power. It's clean and steady.

6. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

You know, you're right!

7. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Thanks Barry! A very enligtening post! :laugh:

;)

Thank you P2CH. How does one go about installing such a device? Will I have to tear up the wall or is it mounted externally?

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The Lowes cord did make a difference but only because it was thicker gauge copper; I went from 16 gauge copper to 10 gauge. I have two cords: one I plug the Monster conditioner into, the other I plug the VT-100 into. A local electrician told me this cord would work as well as a dedicated line due to thickness of copper. Unfortunately I don't have a dedicated plug near my system in the listening room yet. I hope to have one put in soon. Unfortunately this is one downside of an unfinished basement.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

My experience with the Monster conditioners is different. I did not hear any degradation of highs but instead I hear a blacker, quieter background.

10. emkay

emkay Senior Member

May depend on the unit. Do you have one of the "power strip" style units?

I've seen where on some of those units where the tip of the sine wave (for AC) is literally flattened so you end up with a "semi" box wave.

11. emkay

emkay Senior Member

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have the component, rack style HTS-5000.

13. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

The one I'm using is the "power strip" style. I'm really curious now. I'm going to experiment. Straight to the wall outlet for starters. See what the results are then go from there. I can't bring myself to just leave everything plugged directly in to the outlet without some sort of protection.

14. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

interesting. This is exactly the type of unit I have.

15. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

16. StephenGR12

StephenGR12 Forum Resident

I sold my Duet and have no regrets. Could detect no video improvement. Sound differences were inconclusive, and I did many A/Bs (sometimes with the wife) over a span of three, four months before getting rid of it.

17. triple

triple Senior Member

Having recently burned one of my power cords and being unable to use the spare power cord that has a schuko plug via my power conditioner (as my Hydra has NEMA sockets), I plugged my CD transport direct to the wall. Man, did the sound suck! I quickly repaired that faulty power cord and plugged the CD transport back in the Hydra and all is well again. Ah, what a relief...

Goran

18. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I would go with something like this that was mentioned:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emkay
    Just plug it in!

http://www.richardgrayspowercompany....?type=parallel

It sure looks like a great way to assure you have clean capable power. As for connecting a choke, you would need to know what size is needed. I'm sure it would be large and I'm certainly no rocket scientist.

A product designed and assembled per the link supplied seems like the way to go. It even looks like a better choice verses all of the power strips, surge control strips and line conditioners put together.

I wish to thank emkay for posting it.

19. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

20. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I don't know the method a UPS functions, but my concern would be if there is an actual power outage and the unit goes into a 'reserve' power mode.

These things use a battery to engage some sort of AC inverter but I doubt it could handle anything above what a PC and a few other lower current devices draw.

When in its normal mode, I would think it utilizes some type of surge protection devices like a surge plug strip.

Maybe someone here, or an internet search, can give more details about it.

But, as for me, I don't use these devices for things beyond protecting a PC from sudden shut-down caused from a power outage.

21. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

22. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

So on a budget..what can I use to protect against brown outs and surges?

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

PS Audio Duet.

24. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I use line conditioners made by either Tripp-Lite or APC.

I went to a refurb sight and bought a handful of APC line conditioner units cheap.

This is the place but you'll have to search around for line conditioners.

http://www.refurbups.com/

They at least monitor the line voltage and adjust for low and high levels as well as having filtering capabilities.

25. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

How will a PS Audio Duet protect against brownouts, i.e. a low voltage condition? It is not a power generator, merely an outlet with a filter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.