The Dukes of Stratosphear - The Roots of...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hard Panner, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz Thread Starter

...what they say and what we hear.

Okay, I tried this a few years back here on the board, but with the new releases of '25 O'Clock' and 'Psonic Psunspot' chockful of liner notes about what 60s psych songs (or in some cases pre-psych beat era songs) inspired the band, I thought it might be time to update this and also do it with a twist.

On this new thread, I'd like us to submit ideas on a song-by-song basis starting with the song '25 O'Clock' first and working our way through the EP and then through the album - proper songs only, no bonus/demo tracks. We can list what the band has said influenced them, and, here is the twist - we also list what songs that WE think the songs sound like. I'm sure there were influences on The Dukes that may have slipped The Dukes' minds or were more of an unconscious influence.

Example: I have never read anywhere that the Dukes listed the Pink Floyd song "Scarecrow" as an influence for "25 O'Clock".

The goal is to create a 2, 3, or 4 CD comp (depending on the length of some psych songs). There will be individual Dukes' songs that have many different 60s songs for their inspiration and there will be multiple Dukes' songs that have the same 60s songs inspiring them. So who knows how many songs we'll wind up with.

Here is the old thread for reference - yeah, I'm REALLY embarrased for misspelling their name:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=79443&highlight=dukes+stratosphere

albabe likes this.
  2. Hard Panner

FIRST SONG: '25 O'Clock'

"25 O'Clock"

Electric Prunes - "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night"
    Pink Floyd - "Scarecrow"
    The Amboy Dukes - "Journey To The Center Of Your Mind"

Let the debating begin...

3. Anything from the first Vanilla Fudge album. ;)

4. Scarecrow has similar chords and structure, but the style of the song has nothing in common with 25 O'clock.

5. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

excellent thread idea -- this is the perfect board to pull this off.

6. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

'mole from the mynestry' is indebted to a band called the Moles song we are teh moles (or somthing like that) i believe Ill have to dig out my see for miles psychedlic collections !!!

7. dotwacky

dotwacky Forum Resident

I've never would have thought of The Amboy Dukes as an influence (other than the name), but now that you mention it, the vocal blend on "Journey" is similar to that of "You're My Drug," to my ears anyway. But I don't hear their influence on this song. And I've never gotten how "Scarecrow" factors in here. Even strummed the chords yesterday to make sure that I wasn't missing something. Well, now I'm definitely sure that I'm missing something.

8. Hard Panner

"Scarecrow" has a similar melody at points to "Bike Ride To The Moon" as well, so it's definitely gotta be on a Roots of The Dukes Comp. As far as "Scarecrow" and "25 O'Clock", I included "Scarecrow" due to the clock-like sounds that start the song. Can anybody think of another 60s psych song that starts off with clock sounds?

Also, here's another song as an influence on "25 O'Clock" - The Mickey Finn's "Peace In The Garden Of My Mind". Listen to the bass at the beginning of "25 O'Clock" and compare.

Lets try and go song-by-song on the thread starting with "25 O'Clock". It may not be easy as one song may have influenced many Dukes songs.

albabe likes this.
  9. Hard Panner

Okay, here's another song I nominate for the Roots of the Dukes:

The "E" Types - "Put The Clock Back On The Wall"

Because of the clock theme, it fits with "25 O'Clock", but I think many elements fit other Dukes tracks, like the riff, similar to "My Love Explodes".

10. Hard Panner

"25 O'Clock"

I thought there would be more songs added to this list. Surely "25 O'Clock" was influenced by MANY more songs. So here's what we have for now, then we'll move on to "Bike Ride To The Moon".

"25 O'Clock":

Pink Floyd - "Scarecrow"
    The Mickey Finn - "Garden Of My Mind"

If you have a song, chime in and lets add it to the list. Remember, the goal is to make a 2, 3 or 4 CD comp set. We need specific song titles my specific artists to do this.

11. dotwacky

dotwacky Forum Resident

There's a bit of "Johnny Was A Good Boy" by The Mystery Trend in there, especially the intro.

12. Hard Panner

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!!! Awesome!!! That's on the comp for sure, many thanks!!!

"25 O'Clock":

Pink Floyd - "Scarecrow"
    The Mystery Trend - "Johnny Was A Good Boy"

13. Hard Panner

"Bike Ride To The Moon"

"Bike Ride To The Moon":

Okay, next song is "Bike Ride To The Moon". Here's what we can start off with:

David Bowie - "The Laughing Gnome"
    Tomorrow - "My White Bicycle"
    Pink Floyd - "Bike"
    Also, I hear Pink Floyd's "Scarecrow" on this one, too.

What say ye?

14. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

25 O'Clock has some Pink Floyd's See Emily Play on there too. Check the organ solos.

Bike Ride To the Moon is almost pure Piper At the Gates (drawing from the whole feel of the album). Your choices are the same as mine basically, Deke, but I didn't think of Laughing Gnome. Good one.

15. Hard Panner

You're right, Pink Floyd's "See Emily Play" is a good fit for "25 O'Clock" - I'll add it on to the comp list.

As for "Bike Ride To The Moon", Andy mentions "The Laughing Gnome" in the liners for the new Dukes remasters so that wasn't me. It is a good fit and would be great on the comp. Now on "Bike Ride", I'm trying to figure out what the middle is. It has a slide guitar like Syd would do, but those keys are stumping me. Any ideas? Remember, we need specific song and specific artists.

"25 O'Clock" (updated):

Pink Floyd - "Scarecrow"
    Pink Floyd - "See Emily Play"

16. Hard Panner

"Bike Ride To The Moon"

"Bike Ride To The Moon" (updated):

Okay, I'm hearing some of The Move on hear. The bass mainly, but going through my Move, the lyric "I can ride my bike around the moon" is in "Cherry Blossom Clinic". So that's a keeper. Anybody recommend another song by The Move where the bass is pretty close?

Pink Floyd - "Bike"
    Pink Floyd - "Scarecrow"
    The Move - "Cherry Blossom Clinic"

Also, should "Friday On My Mind" by The Easybeats be added to the list of songs inspiring "25 O'Clock'?

17. Hard Panner

"25 O'Clock" the song (updated):

Pink Floyd - "Scarecrow"
    The Easybeats - "Friday On My Mind"

Pink Floyd - "Bike"
    Pink Floyd - "Scarecrow"
    The Move - "Yellow Rainbow"

Okay, here's what we have so far. I've added The Move - "Yellow Rainbow" to "Bike Ride" as I was looking for another song by The Move. If anybody has a better idea, I'll chuck it and replace it for another.
    BTW, I'm hearing a lot of Tomorrow on the Dukes tracks, not just "Bike Ride". Check it out.

18. Hard Panner

Alright, another update: I've now added The Animals "When I Was Young" to "25 O'Clock". Actually, The Animals "Monterey" could be added to "25 O'Clock" also for the middle section.

"25 O'Clock" the song (updated):

Pink Floyd - "Scarecrow"
    The Easybeats - "Friday On My Mind"
    The Animals - "When I Was Young"

Pink Floyd - "Bike"
    Pink Floyd - "Scarecrow"
    The Move - "Yellow Rainbow"

19. Hard Panner

"My Love Explodes"

"My Love Explodes":

The Yardbirds - "Heartful of Soul"
    The Yardbirds - "Over Under Sideways Down" ??????
    The Electric Prunes - "Get Me To The World On Time"
    The Rolling Stones - "19th Nervous Breakdown"
    Love - "7 and 7 Is"

The Dukes mention The Yardbirds "Over, Under, Sideways, Down", but I hear "Heart Full Of Soul" more - I dunno, maybe it's both. Also, they mention this song was influenced by "A Pink Floyd song with the chromatic chords running down" - which song is a good fit here?

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"Interstellar Overdrive" is one.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  21. Hard Panner

I thought about "Interstellar Overdrive", but it is very long and an instrumental. I was hoping for another song to fit the bill. "Arnold Layne" has a bit of the chords running down, also. I'm thinking maybe "Arnold Layne" is the one for the comp, since it also is/will be listed as one of the influences on "Have You Seen Jackie" - as the comp is getting Pink Floyd heavy.

22. Hard Panner

Hhmm... I was expecting more interest in this topic...

23. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I would love to post to this thread..but you're covering all the bases.

I have in a "dukes influence" playlist and pretty much it's been song for song....a couple of extras that I may investigate, but I think I'm drawing from the same well.

24. Hard Panner

Cool, good to hear. I was thinking I was alone in my principles. ;-)

25. Hard Panner

"What in the World?"

"What in the World?"

Beatles - "It's Only A Northern Song", "It's All Too Much", "Taxman", "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite"
    Zager and Evans- "In The Year 2525"
    Manfred Mann - "Semi-Detached Suburban Mr. James" (I kinda hear this Manfred Mann song on "Vanishing Girl" a bit also)

I'm sure there are plenty more. Thoughts??? If I receive little feedback on this, I'll just finish the comp on my own, offline, as there appears to be little interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.