Anime (JAPANESE ANIMATION)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MacGyver, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

How did I miss an anime thread??

I think Voltron did it me waaaay back deep in the mid-80s somewhere. Where was Robotech shown? I'd see snippets of it here and there and never be able to see it. The animation, style, action was leagues above anything being done by the el cheapo TV studios here. Science fiction. Giant robots. Good lord.
    By the way, wasn't Transformers originally Japanese?

I got more into the manga, starting with Adam Warren's Dirty Pair. American, yes, but it introduced me to the style and Ecliplse also published Appleseed, which blew me away, then Akira and the movie, still one of my favorite movies. That's the **** right there. Then Black Magic, Ghost in the Shell, following Shirow's stuff. The cutesy stuff didn't appeal to me, but looking through the thread, I still like the style - it's so unusual from an American perspective. Anyway, anything mecha was for me. Nothing like it anywhere in American comics in the early '90s.
    Later I dove into samurai stuff. Blade of the Immortal is simply one of the towering achievements of pencil illustration. Let's see: Kamui, Lone Wolf and Cub. Not exactly manga but influenced by samurai manga and Kurosawa: Usagi Yojimbo.
    Thanks to Technopop Comics and others, we Americans can go to Barnes and Noble and see the amazing variety of genre and stories in manga.

A couple of mentions of Grave of the Fireflies. The most heartwrenching film I've ever seen. Now that I have a young daughter I can't bear to even think about it. Anyway, Barefoot Gen is a good manga companion to it.

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Wow! I did not know Ponyo was still unreleased in the U.S.A. . Here in Italy I saw it on the big screen 3 months ago..definitely a sweet, moving piece of art from Miyazaki..I highly recommend it to all forum members..Go to the theater! It will make your day

3. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident Thread Starter

ah, yes. ROBOTECH was my introduction to Anime, back in 1994. while i'm today very much into the "Moe" (pronounced "MO-EH") cutesy stuff, it was Mecha (robots) that got me deep into Anime to begin with. the "Valkyrie" from SDF MACROSS ("VERITECH Fighter" in ROBOTECH) was, is, and always will be my most favorite mecha of all time. BTW, have a look at my mecha collection!

[​IMG]

VF-1 "Valkyrie" (S-TYPE)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there is also this series of anthropomorpized computer O.S. known as "O.S. Tan" "Tan" is a slurred way of saying "Chan" which is an intimate suffix placed on a dear loved one, such as a child or wife. (EX: a man calls his wife Mayumi "Mayumi-chan" when alone together) now, this slurred "Tan" which is a common mistake made by children, is considered a very cute idiosincracy for a girl or young woman to have. thus explains the "O.S.Tan" general moniker...

XP-Tan (MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP)

[​IMG]

Firefox-Tan (MOZILLA FIREFOX)

[​IMG]

2000-Tan (MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000)

[​IMG]

4. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I'm really looking forward to seeing that and have ordered Kiki's Delivery Service which I seemed to missed buying a few years back.

5. MacGyver

i have "Kiki's Delivery Service" on VHS, taped off Dish Net. SAT-TV. "Nausicaa; Valley of the Wind" and "Laputa; Castle in the Sky" as well. Excellent, EXCELLENT stuff... :edthumbs:

6. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Hey Mac nice mechs. I seem to remember hearing years ago that Jetfire is a direct rip-off of something from Robotech and it's clear to me now. Though, Jetfire is one of the most awesome toys ever made. They sure don't make 'em like they used to.

7. MacGyver

:edthumbs: big 10-4 on that one!! :edthumbs:

8. Perhaps you should try some hentai as a corrective! There's a dirty old man at my local who's given away a bunch of videos of this stuff (replacing it with DVDs), and I took a few...it's, uh, "interesting" stuff to be sure.

9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

This is a music clip from great 60s Anime "tetsujin 28 Go" ("Gigantor" in the West) in its original form. It still sounds great today.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgZOQs5K5bU
    And this is another version with boys chorus. The boy soprano solo is quite beautiful.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ByPxnqXHVI

For the 2004 remake, the same music was used with new arrangement. The new back drop visual is nothing but sublime.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmhbUW2CqcM

The composer, Koshibe, is also known for the op song for "Speed Racer"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsaP...4D1CEF42&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=67

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

[​IMG]

11. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

A boy's need for speed(y) machines. :agree:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      14.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      13.9 KB
      Views:
  12. This one reminded me of an album cover by a certain unsavoury industrial/noise act:

[​IMG]

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

FWIW, the title 'AKIRA' was named after Akira Kurosawa, and the original name of the protagonist of 'Speed Racer', Go Mifune, is a direct nod to Toshiro Mifune.:)

14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

For AKIRA, Katsuhiro Otomo borrowed names of the characters from 'Tetsujin 28 Go' to express his respect.

Akira's code # is 28.
    Shotaro Kaneda is the name of the hero of Tetsujin 28 Go.
    Colonel Shikishima is a nod to Dr. Shikishima of Tetsujin 28 Go.
    Tetsuo Shima is a nod to Tetsuo Shikishima, a son of Dr. Shikishima.

15. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

Thanks so much for those links. I've been a fan of the American versions of those 2 shows since I was a kid, have collected DVDs, toys, and books (my copy of the Speed Racer episode guide is signed by Pete Fernandez), but, never thought to take advantage of the Internet and check out the original themes. I don't think I'd heard either till now.

16. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Yasujiro San, I always appreciate your input.

17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Welcome. These clips brought a ton of tears to my eyes, too. It was our fortune to be brought up with such good stuffs. :righton:

It is a grateful thing to share knowledge with persons over the sea.:wave:

18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

20. MacGyver

aw, man!! WOW!!!! :yikes:

21. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I'm curious as to the age distribution of fans of Anime. IOW, is it as strictly a young person's thing as I believe it to be? Anybody over 40 who is into it?

22. The first anime characters were modeled after Disney.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Only more so.

[​IMG]

Big eyes are cute and a characteristic of youth.

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

24. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

I turn 40 next Sunday, and I definitely consider myself an anime fan. Do I like (or even watch) every single anime title, though? No.

A good show is a good show whether it's animated or live action.

25. I'm 65 and a fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.