Which Sgt.Pepper pressings have the infamous run-out groove?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrRom92, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel Thread Starter

there are so many out there in the world
    it is well known american pressings do not have it
    although i have heard only part of the first pressing had the groove at the end

which pressings are known to have the groove? will not all yellow and black parlophone pressings have this groove? do the later parlophone pressings contain these?

i think the best question to ask would be "which matrixes should i seek out?"

thanks in advance.

2. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I have a UK version which I bought in 1979 and it had the run-out groove. It was part of the EMI Capitol Import promotion (with the Import sticker on the bag)

3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

ALL UK copies, stereo & mono, have it.

4. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I wonder how this will be dealt with on the remaster? I never really liked the repeat-to-fade on the original CD.

5. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

The Japan red vinyl monos from 1982 have it, not sure about the 1986s.

It's not quite the same as on the UKs though -- instead of the sound repeating as on the UKs, the Japanese presses let it repeat two or three times then it's gone. It doesn't run out to the end of the record if I recall correctly.

Dale

DK Pete likes this.
  6. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

I think any Parlophone with the Gramophone rims have it. I am not certain about the other UK rims on Pepper ( After 1970 ). I have a B&0 4002 table,hence I cant play the concentric groove.

7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys. i have a capitol stereo 1st press that is in severe need of a cleaning/replacing. so im looking out for any UK pressings (preferably first) that have the "dog tone" and a repeating run out groove. so far , i know the uk mono has the most dead-on repetition. i however already have a capitol mono, and am more interested in finding a UK stereo. this information will truly help me on my quest

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Any stereo or mono UK LP with -1/-1 matrixes will have the repeating trailoff groove -- regardless of label or vintage.

I'm sure there are others as well.

9. Jae

Jae Senior Member

All Australian mono/stereo copies have it, which stands to reason as they're pressed from UK -1/-1 metal. I'm sure the NZ stereo does too.

Linus likes this.
  10. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

I thought I had a '67 mono UK but apparently I don't have it.

11. mdpierocarey

mdpierocarey Forum Resident

Re; Sgt Pepper run off groove

GMTA. I just posted on another thread that I found myself wondering about this. And the dog whistle.

I made a needledrop once where I let the runoff groove run to the end of the CD. Just like the LP, if you want to quit listening to it, you have to get up and stop it.

Umm, I'm not suggesting this edition do that. It was sort of a concept. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers & good listening 999,
    Doug

bluemooze likes this.
  12. I think that Larry Geller is right. I had bought a new copy (UK stereo) in 1978 or '79 and it still had it.

13. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The Japanese 1970s-1980s pressings had it at the end of the groove before the trail-off, so it did not repeat.

14. Gems-A-Bems

and I just replied to your post in the other thread!

I think the concept you presented above is better than the way they did it in 1987.

15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

My mono Uruguayan Odeon copy has it.

[​IMG]

I suspect this is struck from the original tube cut (see matrix) metalwork.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

I have a UK pressing LP and I'm not sure the country of manufacture CD, possibly Australia. The runout on the CD sounds different to me than I remember the LP. The LP would pan rapidly from R to L but I don't recall the CD doing that. Also the CD runout seems less nonsensical than the LP. Has anyone reversed the audio to determine exactly what's being said and by whom?

17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I have the MFSL box and individual LP. I know that the single LP has the blabber in the concentric groove, but not the 15k tone in the deadwax area. IIRC, the version in the box has neither. (Maybe somebody can confirm.)

18. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Wow, what an excellent idea. I would actually love it if the remaster did this! (Not that I think there's a chance it will.)

19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I have the MFSL box. It is not on it.

20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thanks! My memory fails, but you manage to come through with the goods! :righton:

21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

something not-so-nice to type it here, really :shh:

22. Gems-A-Bems

See, mdpierocarey, it's a great idea. And at least two members in the other thread like it, too!

23. Gems-A-Bems

It's as nonsensical backwards as it is forwards, because it's not a case of simple backwards audio. It's a bunch of pieces assembled together, some forwards, some backwards.

Supposedly SOME people hear "f**k me like a super man" when it's reversed. I can understand why some people WANT to hear that but it's largely a case of having to convince yourself that you almost hear something close to it.

24. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

25. I have an original mono Y&B label that I got off of eBay last year and it has it. My green label and apple US versions don't. It is slightly different than the CD version. Also my mono US capitol rainbow doesn't have it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.