Venues - The Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Weber, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member Thread Starter

Was this venue used for some of the King Biscuit Flower Hour recordings? I faintly recall the ZZ Top Flower Hour originating from there. Did any forum members attend concerts at this venue… have any memories?

The Wikipedia page lists some of the rock acts that performed there… (edit: this link goes to "search for" and then "Capitol Theatre")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_Theatre_(Passaic)

Dr. Weber

2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I live about 30 minutes or so from where the Capitol used to be, but I was a little too young to have attended any shows there. My brother in law was just telling me yesterday about how he saw Lou Reed there back in the early 80's. I have a lot of friends who are just a few years older than me that went there all the time. I wish I could have seen some shows there .........

3. street legal

street legal Senior Member

4. Dr. Weber

Thanks for the link. It’s an informative site. Most of the old-timers among us enjoy looking at concert posters. We all know about the Fillmores, the Royal Albert Hall, Madison Square Garden, Winterland, the Royal Festival Hall, the Apollo in Harlem, et al, but there are less storied venues where concerts transformed lives, the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland, perhaps the Marquee in London… and of course the Capitol Theatre, a name that surfaced again when I listened to...

Dr. Weber

Attached Files:

5. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I saw a few shows there... Elvis Costello, REM... there must have been others that I'm forgetting.

It was an okay place for a show, but it wasn't a very nice theater. It had a fairly low ceiling - no balcony - and if the space had any character or architectural detail it was hidden under 20-coats of green paint.

6. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

Looking at the photos of the place... I'm somewhat surprised to see that that it looks like a very modest movie neighborhood movie theater.

I was expecting something similar to the Tower Theater in Philadelphia, the Paramount in Brooklyn, or the Beacon Theater in Manhattan.

The Tower Theater has some history. My mom remembers going to see some "big rock and roll show" there in the 50s... when she was a teen.

The funniest thing is no matter how hard I try to jog her memory about who she SAW at that show... she doesn't remember.

My guess it was probably Buddy Holly - but she can't confirm or deny - LOL

All she knows is "it wasn't Elvis"

7. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Many shows there..
    My faves are Springsteen and The Grateful Dead.

8. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

This link has some interesting comments about various theaters.

The Brooklyn Paramount is now a basketball gym. There are photos to be found (interesting too).

The blurb here about the Capitol is hilarious

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/6612/

The part about the concert promoter using the Capitol Theater for XXX movies during the day when there wasn't a concert - is very odd...

That and the fact that the dressing rooms were in a separate building he secured for that purpose.

9. Mr. Dependable

Mr. Dependable New Member

Saw Genesis do "The Lamb" at the Capitol in December '74. Very interesting experience, as my tickets had been stolen, but management let me in anyway when the 6th row seats remained empty 3 minutes before show time.

10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i saw more shows there than i can remember right now. from 73 on; old and in the way, new riders, the kinks, doug sahm, grateful dead, various jerry garcia bands, frank zappa, the band, hot tuna, steve stills, flo & eddie and many many more.

11. Saw Tull there during the Under Wraps tour and Dave Edmunds from what I can remember.

12. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I believe that the KISS album "Rock and Roll Over" was recorded inside that theater. I remember reading something about a primitive video rig was set up so the the drums could be recorded in a separate space (the restroom?), but the band members each had a video monitor so they could see as well as hear each other.

13. Mike1055

Mike1055 Forum Resident

I saw my first concert there, I'd have to guess 1975 it was Slade and ZZ Top. I also saw Styx open for Be Bop Deluxe probably a year or so later. WNEW 102.7 in New York use to do live radio broadcasts from there, I have a few recorded on cassettes someplace in my house.

14. Dr. Weber

A quick search through the posters turned up...

ZZ Top; Slade
    Date: November 15, 1975

15. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Saw many, many shows at the Capitol . . from Lou Reed to Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jackson Browne to Joe Walsh . . it was a basic movie theater turned concert venue, bad neighborhood at the time, notorious for John Sher's goon squad security and some inspired double and triple bills (Kansas, Argent and Queen pops to mind).

16. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I practically lived at the Capitol Theater. My first show there was The Eagles in 1975. My last show was Stevie Ray Vaughn that was actually put on by MTV after John Scher stopped having shows there.

Memories of great shows are Grateful Dead, Santana, Marshall Tucker Band, Jerry Garcia Band, The Clash, Dire Straits, Hot Tuna, Miles Davis, Elvis Costello, Police, Talking Heads, Prince.... I could go on and on.

When I look at a list of shows that took place there it seems I was there every week (not really - but it seems like it):

List of shows at Capitol:
    http://www.moyssi.com/capitolshows.htm

17. keep667

keep667 Senior Member

18. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

LOTS of shows!!! Favorites were The Allman Brothers for the 'Enlightened Rogues' tour and the Flash/Flo And Eddie/Chuck Berry show.

19. kevinfree

kevinfree Senior Member

My first concert was here! Elvis Costello and The Attractions with opening act Squeeze in February 1981!

20. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is the building still there???? MANY great shows happened there.....

21. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Not at The Capitol.You got the story right,but RNRO was recorded in Nanuet,NY.--About 45 minutes or so out of NYC.

22. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I saw: Edgar Winter Group with Rick Derringer
    Kiss (crazy loud)
    Boston (louder than Kiss)
    Al Stewart (met him afterwards)
    The Knack (stage looked like the Ed Sullivan Beatles stage)
    Sorry I never got Bruce tickets...

23. keep667

keep667 Senior Member

Still there... I think they host more boxing and Hispanic oriented events since the area has changed from Italian to Hispanic in the past 20 years.

24. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Saw The Grateful Dead and The Jerry Garcia Band there. I know you're all probably shocked. And stunned.

25. emkay

emkay Senior Member

i believe the Rolling Stones once played the Capitol theater billed as "The Cockroaches." I gotta look around for some confirmation - but that was the local legend. This would be circa '78 I think...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.