Music of the 80s: what did it mean to you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I always felt the '80s were the least significant decade of the last 4 musically. I did no rock at all in the '80s, and outside of Michael, Prince, and Madonna, felt no real superstars emerged from the decade (I'm sure I missed a few more). And the decade hasn't aged well for me. No comparison to the '60s or '70s IMHO.

2. I came of age in the '80s and some of the best music came out of that decade. Just thinking in terms of genre: College rock, hardcore punk, art-damage, noisepop, thrash, Prince (a genre unto himself), decent rap, C86, the early stages of grunge and shoegaze and black metal, labels like SST, Creation, Homestead...and as I've said and been attacked for in other threads, 1988 was one of the most important years for music since Elvis:

Sonic Youth – Daydream Nation
    My Bloody Valentine – Isn’t Anything
    Mudhoney – Superfuzz Bigmuff
    Dinosaur Jr – Bug
    Dead Can Dance – The Serpent’s Egg
    Ministry – The Land of Rape and Honey
    Public Enemy – It Takes a Nation of Millions…
    Jane’s Addiction – Nothing’s Shocking
    Voivod – Dimension Hatross
    Metallica - …And Justice for All
    Eric B. and Rakim - Follow the Leader
    NWA - Straight Outta Compton
    Guns ‘n’ Roses – Lies
    Talk Talk - The Spirit of Eden
    The House of Love – s/t
    Cocteau Twins – Blue Bell Knoll
    Pixies – Surfer Rosa

3. As a child of the 80's and a teen of the 90's, I have to say the 80's is actually a place I am still exploring. Music-wise, I spend a lot of time in 1989-1993 territory. And I know more 70's songs than 80's songs! Why? Because of servere underexposure on my local radio stations.

I have a friend who lives an hour away who is on a mission to have every 80's song that made the Australian top 40 charts on CD and so far he's got most of them - by most, I mean he's missing at most a dozen in a year. That's not many missing considering there's 250+ songs that make the charts in any given year! I should bring him here, actually: He's just discovered brickwalling and hates it.

Anyway, it might be 20+ years too late but for me my journey into discovering 80's music is still only just beginning. But life is a journey and as long as there's music, I'll be happy

:wave:

4. Their politics were awful, but they had some decent tunes.

5. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

ARE WE NOT MEN?

WE ARE DEVO.

6. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Politics? Housemartins? Didn't notice any. Is that good or bad?

7. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Have you tried exploring other groups besides the "superstars" you mention?

That's where the magic is from that decade IMO. (Though even the "superstars" had some classics such as Purple Rain)

8. JayB

JayB Senior Member

For me, I'll take the 80's over the overplayed stoner rock 70's anyday.

But thats just me. :)

Now if your talking The Clash, Ramones, etc..from the 70's then that's a different story.

Heck, even a 60's icon like Dylan had some stunning albums in the 80's! (Infidels, No Mercy, etc..)

The 80's gets bashed, and unfairly so IMO around here!

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Eighties music sorta peaked around 1987 for me.

A fun decade !

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Rock from the 70s and 80s means everything to me now. All Heavy, all rock.

11. Definitely good. Several of their songs were based on hard-Left precepts - although as you indicate, they weren't always that clear about it - and singer Paul Heaton often spoke of being a Stalinist, and I think his toungue was only partially in cheek. A real dink, he was/is.

12. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

:righton:

13. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I would also add if the 80's music means anything to you, I urge you to pick up Steve's 80's compilation work on Razor and Tie! Best these will and have ever sounded:

Awesome '80s
    Razor & Tie 0PCD 4551

Back to the '80s
    Razor & Tie DR-7075

Forever '80's
    Razor & Tie A2-25069

Totally '80s
    Razor & Tie 0PCD 4544

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.