How about a Monkees rarities box set?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I guess this won't happen anytime soon now, but how about a 4 or 5 disc set of Monkees rarities? The contents of the 3 Missing Links albums, the bonus tracks from the Deluxe editions, and whatever else might be left in the vaults.

I was really hoping for a Missing Links Vol. 4 at some point but I know they were sort of scraping the botom of the barrel for Vol. 3. :(

2. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Forget it. Read about the sad fate of Rhino Records, elsewhere on this forum.

3. PaulKTF

I already had before I started this thread.

4. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

That thread states from Rhino that the rumor of their demise was exaggerated: "We will also be releasing several unique Rhino Handmade titles, including titles by Chris Bell, Jan & Dean, MC5, Wilson Pickett, and yes, The Monkees - titles that are very much in the vein of great Rhino releases from the past. And that's just a few of the projects we're working on, so please don't worry that we've gone away!"

So, how about they finish what was started before getting to the box set? :)

5. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I suspect the plan was to release all of the rarities on the planned Deluxe Editions for the first eight albums, making the Missing Links album unnecessary.

6. I suspect that Rhino is undead much like a vampire...still around and kicking draining the life out of unsuspecting bands and catalogs...

7. readr

readr Forum Resident

The announcement said "Handmade titles......and , yes, The Monkees", so who knows. Part of my logic is that the remaining Deluxe versions will be Handmade releases, however, why? They seem to release most commercial CD projects on their standard label. I'm not sure Birds or Head falls into some OOP, never released on digital, crazy, hard-to-find title. So, there could be a limited "rarities"-type release for Handmade. I've heard in the past that the Japanese concert was on their shelf. I really don't need that, but it's very possible it's mixed and ready-to-go. But, yeah, I've said it dozens of times in the past, they should at least make those Nez backing tracks, and other not-yet-released alternate takes, versions, backing tracks, demos, etc., available through some kind of download (as they have mentioned years ago), or even better, a cool, limited number Handmade release. Anything Monkees is like printing money -- there's always a small market for those things.

8. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

They need to remix the first three albums!!!

9. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Especially "The Monkees".

10. readr

readr Forum Resident

Geez, I've done this......before the Deluxe versions came out. I did it in 4 maxed-out discs. There's so much already availabe, not on the original albums. Given that an official release wouldn't go too far past 20-25 tracks per disc, we're looking at no less than 6 -- if we use, yet-to-be released, bonus material from the remaining 4 albums. Maybe 8! I mean, just doing the some number crunching in my head, that's just 20-25 outtakes per original album, excluding Changes. But throw in some post 60's work, there's another disc! It's very easy to see that an all-inclusive outtakes collection could be massive.
    I think we have more of this stuff than we sometimes realize. How fortunate are Monkees fans to have Rhino, and Andrew Sandoval -- who tells us what we still don't have (even teases us with it, like in the Nesmith interview/podcast). I'm sure you all heard She's So Far Out, She's In in awesome quality there. I'm also certain we heard London Bridge, Michigan Blackhawk, and several other still unreleased Nez backing tracks. Those are probally all mixed and ready to go. That was a big window into what still is unreleased -- there's a lot. I, personally, don't want an 8 disc box set.....tooo expensive, especially if it's Handmade. But, I would like those outtakes made available before Rhino calls it quits.
    I think the best way to go about it is finish the Deluxe sets. Then, make the rest of those groovy outtakes, backing tracks, live tracks, etc., available via download from Rhino -- then we can pick and choose what we really want, need, must have first. They could bundle them into years (i.e. 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969) as collections with a set price -- to save a few bucks. It just seems like the most practical way to tie up all the ends.

11. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Forum Resident

Why?

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'd buy it in a second.

Darryl

13. cuddlytoy

cuddlytoy Forum Resident

I'd pay good money to hear that without the TV announcers talking. The actual video would be a goldmine, but I understand it doesn't exist anymore. :shake:

I know the last 25+ years would have been beyond boring for me without the alternate mixes, unreleased tracks, Headquarters Sessions, Summer 1967 Live box set, DEs, and the nifty 45 with the last 2 DEs. :love:

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

...dead-eyed, and looking for an excuse to suck? :D

15. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

They've actually done most of those tracks. Various songs from the first two albums were remixed on the "Listen to the Band" box set, and Headquarters was remixed entirely for the Arista CD.

I don't know what your expectations for remixing are, though. The new mixes on the Headquarters Deluxe set were nice, but not everything in the catalog has multiple multitracks (or even used more than four tracks on recording).

I suspect most remixes would sound... pretty much like the originals.

16. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

Monkees Missing Links 3 - Is it worth buying?

I have Missing Links 1 & 2. I would like the opinion of Monkees fans as to whether or not #3 is worth buying and why. Are there any real gems on it? I thought 1 & 2 were worth buying at retail, but I never got around to #3. And now, it's out of print so it will cost some premium dollars as well.

17. PaulKTF

The songs on Missing Links 3 that I like are

Through the Looking Glass (alt version)
    Midnight Train [Demo Version]
    Circle Sky [Alternate Mix]
    Zor and Zam [TV Version]

It's not essential by any means. If you can get it cheap (under $10) it's worth picking up I guess.

18. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

If you can find it at a decent price, I'd say go for it! But chances are if the deluxe Monkees reissues do come out on Rhino Handmade, we'll get all the stuff on ML 3 in much better quality, and maybe even remixed! Personally, I love a lot of the stuff on ML 3. Definitely worth a listen.:)

19. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

I'm glad we'll get a new Monkees release! We'll probably get The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees Mono Versions...wondering if they could add a CD or two of rarities throughout their career:

All TV Alternate Versions
    Deck The Halls
    Greensleeves
    For Pete's Sake Closing Version
    Forget That Girl
    I Didn't Know You Had It In You Sally
    Wind Up Man
    I Go Ape
    I'm A Believer
    I Prithee (Do Not Ask For Love)
    Naked Persimmon
    Goldilocks Sometime
    At The Hop
    Shake A Tailfeather
    Little Darlin
    String For My Kite
    Sofeggietto
    Listen To The Band
    California Here It Comes
    Here Name Is Love
    How Can I Tell You
    Opening Night
    Everybody Loves A Nut
    Rainbows (Flip Side To Steam Engine)
    White Christmas
    Daydream Believer - 86 Remix
    MTV Christmas Medley
    Reunion Blues - Pool It! Sessions
    Going To The Chapel - Pool It! Sessions
    Manchester Boy
    Regional Girl Alt
    Antarctica
    Monkees Medley
    Monkees Theme - 1996
    You And I - Acoustic Start from Justus Video
    Not Fade Away (Boy Meets World)
    My Girl (Boy Meets World)
    Daydream Believer w/Natural (Doubt these will ever show up as Rhino doesn't own them)
    I'm Not Your Steppin' Stone w/Natural (Doubt these will ever show up as Rhino doesn't own them)
    Valleri w/Natural (Doubt these will ever show up as Rhino doesn't own them)

Also:
    Nine Times Blue (Davy Vocal)
    Don't Say Nothing Bad About My Baby (Micky Vocal)
    didn't Micky remix and rerecord Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere (still unreleased Bobby Hart produced version)
    Head Movie Mixes
    Unfinished Backing Tracks
    Nilsson Monkees Demos
    Billboard Live Concert

What else?:

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Quad ? 5.1 ?

21. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

What are these tracks? Never heard of them before and never seen them referenced...

22. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Impromptu tunes while the Pool It! album insert photos were being shot in a recording studio, around a microphone. Tape was running, much to Peter's disapproval.
    The tape is about 20 minutes long and has some amusing bits, including the above mentioned.

Better question- what's Antarctica? Something from that gawdawful 1997 TV special?

23. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Yes, Antartica is from the 1997 TV special. They all gather around a Piano (as I recall) and begun singing this. I think Chip Doughlas wrote (!) it.

24. fiscus1

fiscus1 Senior Member

Didn't they do that already for the pre-Rhino Arista reissues?

25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

No, I think it was William Dear who wrote it. Whoever wrote 'Chow Mein & Bowling'. Maybe it was Bill Martin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.