The Beatles Remasters: What Are The Mono Mix Differences?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

In anticipation of The Beatles remasters, can anyone outline for me what the major differences are, album by album, between the mono and stereo mixes? Thanks!

2. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

3. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

4. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

This site will give you every difference, blow by blow, song by song:

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/beatles/var-format.html

+1 ;)

5. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks very much :)

6. smorrissey

smorrissey New Member

Differences between Beatles mono and stereo.

I didn't know there were too many differences.

Please Please Me

The stereo version has John making a mistake in the words of the final verse, which causes him to chuckle in the final chorus ... these are NOT heard in the mono version

With The Beatles

"Money" The stereo version has a prominent guitar at the start, which is not on the mono version.
    The mono and stereo piano intro's are different, and the instrumentation is different throughout.

A Hard Day's Night

"A Hard Day's Night" The stereo version is a few seconds longer than the mono version.

"I Should Have Known Better" The stereo version has a brief gap in the harmonica intro, whereas the mono version is complete.
    The stereo version has four repeats of the closing line, the mono has only three.

"If I Fell" The stereo version has John's opening solo vocal double-tracked, it is not double-tracked on the mono version.

"Tell Me Why" The stereo version has John's solo vocal double-tracked, it is not double-tracked on the mono version.

Beatles For Sale

"No Reply" There are differences in the mix between the mono and stereo versions.
    "Words Of Love" The stereo version is 9 seconds shorter than the mono version.

Help!

"Help !" The mono and stereo versions have the same instrumental track, but different vocals.

Rubber Soul

"What Goes On" The mono version is missing some of the lead guitar at the end, just before the final chord. The full lead guitar part is heard of the stereo version.

Revolver

"Taxman" The mono version has a cowbell that starts during the second verse, on the stereo release it does not start until half-way through the second chorus.

"I'm Only Sleeping" The Lennon lead vocal is the same in both, but in the mono version the backwards guitar effects are in different places to the stereo mix.

"Yellow Submarine" The mono version has an opening guitar chord, which is missing on the stereo version.
    The mono version has John's shouted repeats of Ringo's lines beginning one line sooner, and louder than on the stereo version.

"Got To Get You Into My Life" The mono version has a different sounding Paul during the fade-out than that on the stereo version.

"Tomorrow Never Knows" The mono version has different backwards tape effects than those on the stereo version.

Sgt. Peppers

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" The mono version has a more prominent guitar towards the end, which is barely audible on the stereo version.

"Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" The vocal has a noticable echo on the mono version, which is not there on the stereo version. This gives the mono version a dreamier quality.

"She's Leaving Home" The stereo version is slower than the mono version which sounds much faster.

"Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
    (Reprise)" On the mono version the audience sounds begin more sharply, the drum intro is 4 drumbeats longer, and there are some words spoken by John and some audience laughter ALL of which are missing from the stereo mix.
    Paul speaks at the end, but it can barely be heard on the stereo version, but ...
    The transition from "Good Morning" is not as smooth on the mono release.

The Beatles

This release is probably the most essential to have in both mono and stereo, as almost every track has some difference. But the following thirteen tracks have the most marked variations.
    "Back In The U.S.S.R." The airplane overdubs occur in different places on the mono and stereo versions.

"Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da" The stereo version has hand-clapping during the intro, the mono version does not.

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" The stereo version has some vocal sounds from George at the end, the mono version does not.

"Blackbird" The bird sound effects are quite different between the stereo and the mono release.

"Piggies" The pig sound effects are quite different between the stereo and the mono release.

"Don't Pass Me By" The mono version is much faster than the stereo, and therefore is shorter.
    The violin sounds at the end are markedly different.

"Why Don't We Do It In The Road" The stereo version has hand-clapping during the intro, the mono version does not.

"I Will" The stereo version has more prominent bongos.

"Birthday" The stereo version has extra vocals at the end of the second chorus.

"Sexy Sadie" The stereo version has two taps on the tambourine during the intro, the mono version only has one.

"Helter Skelter" The stereo version has a fade-out/fade-in dummy ending with Ringo's shout of "I've got blisters on my fingers", the mono version does not ! ... this makes the stereo version almost a minute longer.

"Long, Long, Long" The stereo version is fine, but on the mono, George's double-tracked vocal is embarrassingly out of synch.

"Honey Pie" The stereo version has a shorter guitar solo than the mono version.

So at the end both boxsets are a must. :edthumbs: :eek: :unhunh:

Source: http://www.jpgr.co.uk/i_beatleslp_date.html

7. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

8. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

Listing of BEATLES stereo vs mono mix variations?

I apologize if this has been mentioned before, a search here couldn't find it:
    Is there a list available on the internet (or here) that shows the variations between the Beatles mono and stereo album mixes-? I'd like to print out a listing of the differences (i.e., "Don't Pass Me By" is faster on the mono mix, "Helter Skelter"'s ending is different, etc.) for my friend and myself. I've googled it but can't find just a simple listing.

Thanks~!

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

10. J van E

J van E New Member

11. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

12. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

13. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Interesting Differences Between the Beatles 2009 Stereo and Mono

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before as a separate thread.

Please list any remarkable and interesting differences that you have noticed between the mono and stereo mixes of the Beatles 2009 remastered catalog.

To give you three examples:

1) Help! (mono) - all the other instruments stop during the lead guitar solo.
    2) I'm Only Sleeping (mono) - there are more backward guitar sound inserted in the mix compared to the stereo counterpart.
    3) She's Leaving Home (mono) - faster than the stereo version.

Thanks!

14. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

I Am the Walrus (mono) - drums are muted between the first "I'm cryin'" and "sitting on a cornflake". This happens a few other times in the song, and makes the mono version more dynamic. It's as if every time Lennon sings "I'm crying", the song stops for a second.

15. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

4) On the Mono box, the same music comes out of both speakers. With a 5.1 system, you get the same effect. Neat!

:D

16. deville

deville Forum Resident

On Yellow Submarine, Ringo has guitar backing on the intro line "In The" town....

There are Many differences.

17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Different harmonica track on the stereo and mono versions of "Thank You Girl."

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"Don't Pass Me By" - faster in mono
    "I'm Only Sleeping" - extra backwards guitar in mono
    "Sgt Pepper (reprise)" - applause throughout in mono with audible shouting paul at the end
    "Your Mother Should Know" in mono has a horrible effect on vocals
    "I Will" in mono has louder Paul mouthbass
    "I'm So Tired" in mono has louder Paul backing vocals

19. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Helter Skelter in mono deletes the fade-in at the end and the "I've Got Blisters..." comment. And there are some sound effects (high pitched noises) that are different.

And speaking of Help!, the lead vocal is a different take on the mono vs the stereo.

20. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

"Sgt Pepper (reprise)" - applause throughout in mono with audible shouting paul at the end. Anyone know what Paul is shouting?

21. It's also a full minute shorter than the stereo. The airplane effects are "flown in" and sound different (an opportunity to use a bad pun...basically they are a bit different at appear at slightly different times IIRC).

22. Don't remember but I do know that Paul does the same thing on the stereo--it's just buried in the mix under all the instruments.

There's also the phased vocals effect on "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and different pig snorts at different times on George's "Piggies" on The White Album.

23. deville

deville Forum Resident

And the bass singing doesn't even start until the 2nd verse. It's just acoustic guitar, percussion, and lead vocal. Great sounding acoustic guitar.

24. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

From the What Goes On website:

:02-0:03 Listen!
    In the introduction, John says something like "Look up, Byeee". An increase in hum is heard just before this as the faders open.

On mono versions, just before the band start, there is more talking, including what sounds like John saying "People City", just after the cluck.

0:10-0:15 Listen!
    Talking. These words occur pretty much on the kick drum double beats, most audible in OOPS.

1: "Plectrum" or "Playthrough" from Paul, on the snare beat.

2: "What?" from John.

3: "Blister" or "Twister" or "This one" from Paul.

4: "Aaah!" acknowledgement from John.

5: Paul sings something high pitched, sounds like "***** cat".

1:15-1:17
    After Paul's "Wooo", John says "Paul, could you hold my guitar for me?" Also, a voice seems to sing a faint "Ser-geant Pep-per's BAND!" finishing on the final chord. Heard using OOPS.

Also Paul heard really going mad singing. On mono versions this is heard better, "We'll be back" or "We're the band", "the greatest band of all time".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.