RIP: Taylor Mitchell killed by coyotes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Macman, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macman

Macman Senior Member Thread Starter

Taylor Mitchell, a 19-year-old folk singer from Toronto, was attacked yesterday by coyotes in Cape Breton Highland National Park in Nova Scotia and died overnight here in Halifax. A horrible story and shocking that coyotes would do this. I've never heard of them attacking humans before. I must confess I've never heard of her before. Much too young to be leaving. Rest in peace.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=22428603

http://www.myspace.com/taylormitchellband

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Man, that is about the worst thing ever. RIP.

3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Horrible way to die. Anyone walking where these creatures roam should carry some protection with them. Hope they hunt these predators down.

4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

That's awful news. So young too. I'm sorry to hear this.

5. Man, this is so bizarre as to be Spinal Tap-esque. Indeed, who gets killed by coyotes? I grew up in an area where they were plentiful and rarely saw any. They pretty much always avoid humans when possible. Wonder if there's more to the story.

6. Macman

Macman Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm shocked by this. We go hiking here all the time and never dreamed something like this could happen. I've seen a few coyotes and a bear or two but always at a distance. Rabies is also a rare occurence in this neck of the woods so I wonder what could have caused this.

7. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Wow, this is just strange and sad. So young and just starting what sounds like a promising career.

8. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

yeah....pretty strange. Not 'impossible' but....

9. MadFloyd

MadFloyd Forum Resident

Wow, how tragic.

I listened to her music samples on her myspace page and liked it a lot - bought the CD.

10. Nature is, of course, very random and unpredictable. Like the report said, perhaps they were protecting a food source, their babies or even had rabies.

Sad story.

11. The Park's site warns about bears and talks about the dangers of moose crossing the highway but even though the site has a page about coyotes there's no mention of attack. A singular event? Never heard of this happening before either :(

-s1m0n-

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Shocking!

RIP young Taylor

13. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Horrible my sympathy goes out to her family. What a way to go.

14. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

15. MerlinMacuser

MerlinMacuser New Member In Memoriam

I've been there over an extended period and never saw a coyote. I've never even heard of a coyote attacking a person before this.

16. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member

Just nature's way of fighting back against mankind's encroachment on wildlife habitats the world over. :thumbsup:

17. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Very, very sad story...what a waste. I do agree with the above statement. It's hard for mankind to figure out the point of sharing.

18. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Very shocking and sad. The buddy system should also apply to trail walking.

19. Adular Zech

Adular Zech Forum Resident

What a sad story indeed. :cry:

And also a sad way to get introduced to Taylor's music. I just listened to her songs on myspace and liked them. The CD's already not available any more.

20. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Exactly.

And my guess is that it might have been wolves, but the ranger saying that would be bad advertising for the park.

Here in CT, NY and in other New England states the DEP insists that there are no mountain lions/cougars/pumas (and mocks in print anything to the contrary) yet I have personally examined a mountain lion that was hit by a snowplow very thoroughly and have no doubt about what it was (bobcats don't have tails as thick as my forearm and teeth as big as my fingers).

The PR machine of the park systems (and public denials of predators' presence) is going to get people hurt and apparently already has done so in Taylor's case.

21. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

For a second I read the thread title as "Rip Taylor killed by coyotes"

:shh:

22. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

Which would finally disprove the theory that confetti can stop attacking coyotes.

;)

23. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

:laugh:

24. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Wolves maybe, not coyotes.

25. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file

Very rare for coyotes to do such a thing. I've heard that when they're very desperate for food, they'll attack adult humans, but they don't often travel in packs big enough to be a threat. Every coyote I've encountered ran quickly away from me. I'm with street legal, I think they were wolves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.