Sinatra / Capitol 180g LPs: Wee Small Hours, Come Fly with Me, Come Dance with Me*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by randy9700, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

.....and mandolin..... and in those very opening few seconds, HARP! It's a revelatory mix; I just wish the tone were a little better and there was a little less reverb. Cool listen, though.

Matt

2. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Same thing happened on one of the new Beach Boys LPs.

Clearly the art department is not in touch with the mastering team. Beautiful covers though.

3. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I love the tuba.

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

So are these thumbs up or down?

5. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

You love Billy May, hallmarks of his style.

People nowadays go on and on about Sinatra/ Nelson Riddle, but May should be right in there alongside them.

6. You need the 1990 3-cd set on Capitol that Ron Furmanek put together.
    Great sound, nice track selection. Some tracks remixed by Larry Walsh.

"The Capitol Years"

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jpftxqe5ldje

Attached Files:

7. Ryan

I have several May albums. They are a trip.

8. MLutthans

Had they done more together, I think that would be the case. May did 3 albums on Capitol with Sinatra, of which only 1 was totally May's work. (Of the 24 songs on the two other albums, 16 were May arrangements, IIRC.)

9. MLutthans

I don't own the WEE SMALL HOURS, but it uses reverb-added tapes and has the wrong track on the end of side one, so to me, that's a "no."

I do have the COME FLY WITH ME. All the packaging says stereo, including the label, but it's the reverb-y, dull mono mix, which while an interesting listen (if you are used to the stereo mix), is not an audio picnic, so: Yes for variety, no on pure sound-quality terms.

I also have the COME DANCE WITH ME, and it's not bad, although the stereo mix is significantly folded in.

You can hear clips of all three 2009 pressings -- in context with other pressings -- here, here, and here. You may have to poke around a bit, but the clips are there. Have a listen for yourself.

Matt

10. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

You made me go back and compare my gray Label mono Come Fly with Me to the new would be "stereo" reissue. And while the gray label is a much more smooth and warm experience, the reissue has its charm. It's not as if one can go and buy a CD of the mono mix of this great LP. And it's tricky to get a clean copy of a 50's original.

Yes, it's got a bit too much echo, but has a nice organic sound to it.

11. MLutthans

Agreed, basically. As I mentioned a couple of days ago in this post, I've been playing a CD-R I made from the 2009 LP, and definitely enjoying it, but I wouldn't call it "audiophile quality" like the sticker boasts.

Matt

12. Ryan

And tuba :D

13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I'm saying thumbs up on the CFWM mono reissue; what Matt and Another Side say - maybe not audiophile, but it sure has its charms and it's great for another way to listen to the album. Got it for 18 bucks on Amazon, well worth it for the fun! The tubas. Love 'em.

14. MLutthans

....and if you dig tuba, the Billy May album that has tuba in spades on both mono and stereo is COME SWING WITH ME from 1961.

15. Ryan

Of course :) I bought a (abridged) 70s blue label version though..:realmad:

16. jamesanderson

jamesanderson New Member

i just got this email

PRODUCT ISSUES

Frank Sinatra "In The Wee Small Hours" (50999 6 88654 1 2 – Vinyl)
    and "Come Fly With Me" (50999 6 88653 1 3 – Vinyl)
    have been recalled due to a manufacturing error.
    Please do not continue to solicit these titles.
    exact problem:
    come fly with me- mono recording in stereo packaging
    In the wee small hours- track 8 is wrong on the vinyl.

17. MLutthans

Thanks for posting that, James.

I see that there is now a UK vinyl reissue of COME FLY WITH ME. Anybody know if this is the same as the US version, i.e., mono?

Matt

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The catalog no. shown in that eBay listing is the same as the US bar code. (Which doesn't answer the question, I know. :))

19. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I wonder if they'll recall the Beach Boys Summer Days for the same reason (stereo cover, mono LP).

20. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I discovered this thread after picking up the Capitol Vaults version of "In Wee Small Hours of the Morning". I have to say that I'm very impressed with the quality of pressing and fidelity of this re-issue. I haven't seen copies of this particular recording for years at my local used record store so I thought I'd give this one a punt. It's very good IMO and I look forward to more releases. This album contained all 16 tracks from the original recording.

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I wonder if they redid both sides for the 2nd issue, and if they used the same source or not.

Is the 2nd issue of COME FLY still mono (hopefully)?

22. John76

John76 Forum Resident

The Wee copy I purchased yesterday I think was the original* because track 8 is still the wrong song. I gave it another listen today and it's really quite nice. I don't have another copy of this album to compare with but it has a very detailed and well rounded sound to it. I've got most of his albums and this one is quite special. Hope they release some of the Swingin' albums as I would be curious how they turn out.

[*MOD EDIT for clarification: Original run of the 2009 reissue]

23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

What exactly is the mixup on Wee Small Hours?

24. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

It replaces the last track on side one with a song off of "A Swingin' Affair" (I think).

What a mess.

25. Ryan

So imagine ending side one with "I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plan"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.