Does Anybody Know When (If?) "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol" Is Broadcast This Year?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mark, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff Thread Starter

Man, I have looked all over the place, and don't a see a reference to a broadcast network and/or time anywhere. IIRC, it was on the Cartoon Network on a weekend afternoon a couple of years ago, but I have not seen it since that time. Anybody have any info? Thanks.

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I have no info about a broadcast, but I recommend that you acquire it on DVD. Since the show was originally made for an hour of broadcast time, any broadcaster these days would have to edit it fairly severely in order to show it, and the DVD's contain the complete production.

I recall a syndicated showing of it a number of years ago where they completely cut out the whole Broadway production element out of the show, beginning instead within the "Scrooge" story.

I've always enjoyed this production - it seems to get better every year. I recall watching its original network showing and thinking it was just a cheap cartoon rip-off of the Dickens tale. My views have changed greatly over the years, as the charm of the songs have become almost as much a Christmas tradition as "Silent Night."

Harry
    ...pass the razzle-berry dressing, please...

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I don't think this was ever exclusive with any cable nets...I'd always seen it run on indie channels, perhaps as part of a locally-purchased film package.

It's looked so ugly in all the times I've seen it transmitted, I wondered if it were public domain now for some reason.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Geez, I haven't seen that since 1966 when my friend let me watch it on their Packard Bell color TV. I loved it so much. I suppose I still would if I saw it again. NBC, right?

A looooonnngggg time ago.

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I, too, have grown to enjoy this one more with each viewing.

Funny how it's never seemed to enjoy the iconic status of the other big animated Christmas specials of that era (Rudolph, Charlie Brown, the Grinch, etc.), even though it was actually the first of its kind.

6. Dillydipper

Quite mysterious indeed. UPA produced it; it's out on video through the Sony Wonder imprint.

According to the ever-accurate Wikipedia, it was the first animated Christmas special produced for television. No word on who owns the rights to air it.

7. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Strange, I suppose, but this was always my favorite Christmas special, and my introduction to the story. When one of the "real people' versions came on, I would go into some sort of pre-Cartman mode and go, "What is this crap? Where's Mr. Magoo?" :D

8. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

The IMDb site usually lists upcoming airdates, if any, for shows listed on their site. None listed for "Magoo's Xmas Carol." Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol (1962) (TV)
    Address:http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0123179/

-Steve D.

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

This was my introduction to the Dickens story, it was back in 1964 IIRC.

10. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Mr Magoo is great in anything, IMO...

11. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

My favorite xmas special. My dvd of it is really nice, it's not public domain, but I did see it at wally world last week in the $5 bin.

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

This is my favorite Christmas special as well. In fact, I can still recall most of the tunes, even though I haven't seen this in years. It's a shame they cut the Broadway Show aspect of the presentation out.

13. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

My brother always felt the same way about the Disney version with Scrooge McDuck.

14. Dillydipper

Oh I'm sure he would've sucked in Driving Miss Daisy...

15. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Get the DVD instead,Mark..the 2008 edition has extra footage the original TV broadcast edited out for time constrictions..about 5 or 15 minutes is my guess. (BTW,if you DO still want to see it,a hint: Cartoon Network's been running it since 1998 every year thereafter..you might want to start there!)

16. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

On NBC's "GE Holiday Theater" wasn't it? The 1964 broacast was the one I'd watched
    Living in Tarrytown..Oh,Mr. Backus,how we miss you!:cry:

17. HGN2001

MR. MAGOO'S CHRISTMAS CAROL will be getting a 50th Anniversary showing on the NBC Network on Saturday, December 22, 2012, at 8 PM Eastern. I certainly hope for a complete airing, but these days, commercials rule.

I've just seen the show on Blu-ray and was blown away by the restoration. Highly recommended.

Harry

Gardo likes this.
  18. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

The songs written for this production are great.

Gardo likes this.
  19. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff Thread Starter

Thanks everybody. I got the DVD so naturally it's being broadcast on commercial TV this year. I never could find it on TCN after an initial airing a few years ago.

20. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Another vote for the BluRay of this special. Very nicely done!

Gardo likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

a plus to enjoy without commercials!

22. HGN2001

Folks on this blog also fear heavy commercial loads forcing edits, however a few are hoping for a "limited commercial interruption" presentation. Given that the show is airing on a low-rated Saturday evening, perhaps they will arrange something like that. I'm not supposing that they will, but it remains a remote possibility.

I'm more curious as to what kind of print they'll air, whether or not it will be in HD, that kind of stuff.

Harry

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's streaming for free for Prime members on Amazon, as is the entire Mr. Magoo TV series. $6.99 to purchase the Chrismas Carol special.

24. The Blu-ray looks and sounds amazing, one of the best presentations for vintage animation I've seen on the format.

Gardo likes this.
  25. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

NBC is showing it right now - unfortunately they hacked out the entire opening sequence of the framing story which sets it up as a Broadway production. Unbelievable...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.