Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coopmv, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Note, too, that many of those Los Angeles players spend lots of time making movie music--under far from ideal conditions, day in and day out. They're real pros at working on a tight schedule with minimal rehearsal.

2. drh

drh Talking Machine

Something that has afflicted more pianists that LL, and nobody is Horowitz, any more than, in the orchestral realm, anybody else is Toscanini (or Furtwangler) (or Weingartner) (or Beecham) (or...). The attempts to imitate the inimitable nearly always end in a train wreck.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

Indeed, I think the English Concert, AAM and perhaps even the English Baroque Soloists all shared most of their second-string violinists ...

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Rite Or Wrong

Is there a finer Le Sacre du Printemps than Igor Stravinsky's 1960 recording with the east coast Columbia Symphony Orchestra?

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

SACD Keepers

Seeing as you're the reigning anachronist of the forum I'm sure you're familiar with Alfred Cortot's various recordings of the Chopin Etudes. Murray Perahia's set of the Etudes strikes me as well conceived as Cortot's, better played and recorded as well. I'm lucky enough to have the SACD of Perahia's performance of the Chopin Etudes along with the SACD of his dazzling Goldberg Variations as well.

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Berkeley-to-Boston Forty-Brick Lost-Bag Blues

I've known [and recorded] a number of first-string HIPP violinists who were accumulating frequent flyer miles, often from Berkeley to Boston to London, sometimes beyond.

7. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I've been on the lookout for Perahia's Chopin Etudes SACD for some time now. It has eluded me. His Bach Partitas are some of the finest I've heard, up there with other outstanding recent takes by Anderszewski and, especially, the new Schiff on ECM. I am a member in good standing of the Piotr Anderszewski cult, btw. See his new DVD, Unquiet Traveller, for evidence.

8. George P

George P Way Down Now

I have heard from a few different sources that Perahia's recordings are often heavily edited. I find this information has changed how I view his recordings. Obviously we can't say the same of Cortot's, as they didn't edit recordings in those days.

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"New Classics"

I think Ashkenazy did much more than a decent job in his WTC. It strikes me as what the Edwin Fischer recording of the WTC might have been like with a DDD recording and multiple takes/edits. Ashkenazy is undervalued as a pianist, if anything. His first recording of Beethoven's Hammerklavier is pretty amazing.

10. George P

George P Way Down Now

Yes, Ashkenazy's Rachmaninoff preludes remains my favorite, even after trying more than 6 other pianists. His Chopin is unfairly overshadowed by Rubinstein IMO. And if you wanna talk Chopin Etudes, man his are incredibly exciting!

I should check out his Beethoven at some point. I know a Beethoven Piano Sonata buff who loves his set.

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

And I just bought all recordings of Cortot's Chopin on Naxos Historical in spring of this year. They were mostly reconstructed from the original 78's. Has Perahia ever recorded the Nocturnes?

12. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.