Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member Thread Starter

2. This might have been discussed earlier, but I'm very impressed with the SQ on these Esoteric CDs. I only have two so far (the price point outside of Japan is crazy:shake:). Any views from others on the available titles.

Thks ... Oliver

[​IMG]

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I probably underrated Ashkenazy for his WTC but I really in good conscience could not have used more glowing terms since I have listened to the set only once. I do have the entire WTC by Edwin Fischer on Naxos Historical, superbly reconstructed or remastered by Mark Obert-Thon.

4. George P

George P Way Down Now

Hi Oliver,

I doubt it has anything to with Esoteric and probably is simply because Decca's sound in general was often very good. Philips is even better, especially for piano.

5. George P

George P Way Down Now

Not to my knowledge.

6. coopmv

Totally agree. I would not have gone for other labels such as Glossa, Gimell and Gaudeamus, etc just to name a few if Philips and London made some more non-workhorse recordings ... :righton:

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

Picking up from the previous thread, anent Cortot and editing, from all that I've read he probably needed it as much as just about any major pianist in history. ;)

Now, off through the snow to work for me.... :sigh:

8. George P

George P Way Down Now

[​IMG]

Mastered by Mark Obert-Thorn

Now playing this one. :cool:

9. George P

George P Way Down Now

Safe driving/walking/snowmobiling! :wave:

Perhaps because when I listen to Chopin, I am listening for the emotion, I never hear Cortot's slips. His playing never sounds as polished as Pollini's and to me that's a good thing, for he sounds human.

10. That's a fair point and many of their re-releases are Decca. Just saw that they are coming out with the full Ring in January on Hybrid SACD - yours for only $799. :yikes:

[​IMG]

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Wow, a brand new 'room' for the thread, it's time for picture-hanging! :goodie: :cheers: :laugh:

So, finally I completed my journey through the old brahmster's, Sir Adrian, heritage, and all these symphonies smoke with their power and grace (despite some occasional less than perfect playing of the woodwinds - surprisingly, on the 2nd symphony, which is considered a Boult's apogee).

Attached Files:

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not yet, to the best of my knowledge. Of course, there's a wealth of great recordings of the Nocturnes, Rubinstein's multiple sets in particular but Morevec's set on Nonesuch is "all that" and the recent set by Pollini is one of the few recordings by that pianist I actively enjoy.

13. George P

George P Way Down Now

I should quickly add that the original Decca CDs sound better (more open, no NR) than the later ones, including at least some of the Legends series.

14. coopmv

With the Honda snowblower and some shovels for the hard-to-reach spots, my wife and I cleaned out the driveway in under 2 hours - after some 12" of snow if not more fell overnight ...

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I've always liked Philips' sound, on LP and CD.

16. coopmv

I need to check if BRO carries Pearl.

17. coopmv

You have to be a real serious Wagner lover to spend that kind of money on a Ring cycle. I have 3 Ring Cycles, 2 on LP and 1 on CD ...

18. coopmv

Are these in stereo? I do not like mono sound when it comes to orchestral works ...

19. I love my Wagner and have two full cycles on CD. I can still remember how excited I was when this box came out 10 years ago.

[​IMG]

They clearly put a lot of work into the Esoteric box and I'm sure its a nice collectors item but at the price I will have to pass.

20. coopmv

George, Do you have Pollini's Nocturnes?

21. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

:eek: This Ring is probably made by orks. It must be well hidden immediately after acquisition. :D

22. coopmv

The cycles by Karajan and Boulez are on LP while the third cycle by Bohm is on CD. Who was the conductor of this new SACD set?

23. George P

George P Way Down Now

Yeah, I wish! Perhaps an occasional title, but most of the Pearl stuff is getting harder and harder to find. They seem to have stopped distributing to the USA.

You can order direct from Pearl, though - http://www.pavilionrecords.com/

Click on "Download Our Order Form" on the right for their email and more info.

24. George P

George P Way Down Now

I do.

25. George P

George P Way Down Now

Have you heard Tipo's Nocturnes on EMI, Robin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.