Peavy "USB Playback Thingy"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Taurus, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member Thread Starter

That's what parts-express.com calls it!

Peavey USB-P

....and only XLR outputs. Looks interesting, but there's no detailed description of what it's used for.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

3. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Funny.

4. Taurus

Thanks for the link Brad, but Peavy's page is pretty much identical to the website I linked to (though it does say it was built here in the States :thumbsup:). Maybe only professional musicians know its secret. ;)

5. BradOlson

Maybe. I have no clue what this does and even if I were to know, I would see no need for it.

6. Taurus

I wonder if any electric guitars come with USB outputs these days?

7. BradOlson

Yes, there are USB electric guitars

8. Taurus

Bingo!!

9. BradOlson

Now we know what this Peavey box is for.

10. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

• Standard USB audio device • Transformer isolation • Converts USB audio to XLR balanced outputs • Ground lifted balanced outputs • Playback only • USB powered • Stereo/Mono output switch

This is on the Parts Express page. It converts USB audio to XLR balanced outputs.

11. Soundman

Soundman Senior Member

Gort-check... please fix the spelling of the thread title. PeavEy.
    *Then delete my post as par usual. :)

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

So seems like it is for connecting your computer into a pro audio rig.

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I was thinking this would be used to go from a music server to a preamp with balanced inputs.

14. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

Are you guys nuts? Its a cheap dac with a balanced output, nothing pro about it.

15. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

The "thingy" could do both of these tasks!:wave:
    Sure, the company Peavey has never made any "professional" audio gear after all.....:shh::laughup::whistle: He says as he goes to play his fantastically excellent pro quality USA made Peavey bass guitars...

That said... I doubt the "thingy" has DACs we would consider "audiophile quality" here on a home audio focused board. It's probably aimed at the club owner or live sound technician who wants to use a laptop to stream music to a performance or house Public Address system.

BTW, Parts Express added the "thingy" name. I like it. http://www.peavey.com/products/brow...m/117099/number/03001370/USB-PUSBPlayback.cfm

16. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

17. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Powered monitors often have XLR connections. That's what that box would be used for, but I don't know why! Playback only out of a computer with XLR outs is a bit strange to me. Plus, it's made by Peavey. Regardless of what Philip Hamm has stated, Peavey are not known for their "pro" audio products. I don't see many pro bass players playing Peavey basses. Jeff Berlin used to (The Palladium bass), but now does not as far as I know.

Frank R.

18. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

its simple... its just a box, though really not that in-expensive, to play music from your computer for people who don't know any better. If it were cheaper I would say it could be useful for many, but for 80 bucks with zero specs yikes.

19. PhilBiker

LOL! I recommend some time looking up Peavey gear at www.talkbass.com and maybe a trip to a local dealer. Not to mention go to a few local rock/country live music venues and look for Peavey gear.

20. Lownote30

No local venues in Nashville use Peavey unless the club is at the bottom of the food chain. I am a Fender guy, and use SWR and Eden amps. All Peavey bass amps I have tried lack in tone compared to the brands I mentioned. Ampeg is also among the best these days. Also, no music stores nearby deal in Peavey gear in Nashville. You can find it in the suburbs though. I'm definitely not trashing Peavey. They have made some great middle of the road stuff, but there will never be a Peavey bass that can sound like a 1968 Fender P-Bass.

Frank R.

21. PhilBiker

You do know that Ampeg was bought by a asian congolmerate Loud Technologies http://www.loudtechinc.com/ and doesn't manufacture anything in the USA any more, don't you?

A 1968 P-bass will never sound like a Cirrus either, and neither is better.

22. Lownote30

I beg to differ. A 1968 P-Bass has a tone you will hear on thousands of recordings, and there's a reason for that. It sounds good! Plus, I don't care where something was made. I care about what it sounds like. A Cirrus will never sound like a Lakland either. I just have never been impressed with Peavey stuff other than the little practice amp I have for bass. That's a Peavey, and for its size, sounds great!

Frank R.

23. melorib

melorib New Member

I bought one

I have Focal CMS50 connected to the PC.

Using RCA input, from the headphones output, made a lot of noise, had to move electrical stuff around to have acceptable background noise.

With the Peavey there is no hiss at all, now I can hear the PC fan... :rolleyes:

It must have an internal DAC, as it instaled USB DAC, I thought I would need an external pre, using digital out from the PC, but PC volume still works.

Besides beeing dead quiet, it has a lot more detail and separation, treble was shy compared with before, but it is opening up. :thumbsup:

I think it is reasonable value for money... :cheers:

24. guitarguy

guitarguy Tone Meister

Bingo! Most likely for DJs looking for a cheap way to get audio from their laptop into the PA rig. Also an inexpensive way to get backing tracks and loops out of Ableton or GarageBand to the PA. I have worked with more than a few drummers / bands who use laptops for loops and click tracks to play against live.

The thing looks like a science fair project, though!

25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Perfect use for this device in broadcasting. USB audio interface output to the broadcast console for special events programming needs or for emergency laptop with BSI WaveCart or Simian when the main PC is Tango Uniform (T**S Up). Also useful for fitness clubs, discos, nightclubs, bars, DJ use, and for Churches. Many of the above use balanced lines into their installed sound systems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.