Tommy Bolin Ultimate Redux questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by metalbob, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member Thread Starter

How much of the Tommy Bolin Ultimate Redux 3CD set is previously released? This appears to be a "best of" from the endless releases that the Archives has put out. From what I understand, the Whips and Roses Vol. 1 and 2 collections are comprised of different, multitrack recordings, from what has appeared on the Tommy Bolin archives releases.

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'm looking at it right now and there is nothing to indicate any of it is previously unreleased. You need to buy it anyway!:cheers:

3. Fast Lou

Fast Lou New Member

How many tunes on this set have Narada Michael Walden on drums? What other live Bolin cds have Walden on drums? By the way, Walden's touring with Jeff Beck later this year! :righton:

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

He's on it, but the notes are very skimpy...i.e. no track by track annotation:cheers:

5. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

He's on the sets I recorded which were later released by the family. These were his first two sets in the US and I recorded them for radio broadcast back in 1976. The tapes surfaced decades after the fact.

Even though I recorded these sets, I don't think they're all that good. I did ok, I guess, but there was not that much excitement. He was totally messed up from drugs and barely got out of the venue hours after the show ended. Of course that's just my opinion. Some people really liked the sets, but I imagine they're mainly hard core fans or completists.

6. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

It's all previously released, BUT.... from the Cds put out by The Bolin Archives. These were issued through the fan club and through mail order and some local record stores and whilst some are very common, most are hard to find now.

The Redux was a way of getting out some of the stuff previously issued, but in a comprehensive compilation. In addition, it contains some of the longer remixed/remastered tracks done by Greg Hampton with the "Whips and Roses" volumes*.

Personally, it's the one CD I haven't bought, but thats only because I have a draw full of about 34 of the Bolin Archive releases.

* Whips & Roses were done from the original master tapes and do contain some of the other guitar tracks Bolin recorded. He used to use up about 17 tracks of a 24 track, with just guitars. Whilst this sounds exciting, in practice what Hampton has done is to play 2,3 sometimes more guitar solos BUT ALL AT THE SAME TIME...the result is a mess on many classic tracks such as Wild Dogs etc. as there is no space and it is difficult to even follow the guitar solos. In addition, all the Whips & Roses titles are Protooled up and loud.
    Still, if you're a fan...:shrug:

7. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

actually, looking at the tracklisting, there aren't any Whips & Roses versions, so you can ignore my comments above.

These are the original (unmolested) versions which have been remastered by Joe Reagoso at Friday Music. I guess this is meant to dovetail the end of the line for the Bolin Archives releases which are now OOP and the new Whips & Roses titles by Greg Hampton.

8. metalbob

So are these some of the same sessions as Whips and Roses -- just different mixes -- or entirely different recordings?

9. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Bob, most will be the same sessions as the Whips & Roses versions (think of these as remixes if it's easier, Whips & Roses = REMIXES). Hampton has used either the original master tapes or earlier demo tapes and remixed them with effects on vocals and these multi guitar parts (which weren't meant to be heard). He has had carte blanche to access whatever he wanted. In some cases he remixed the "demo" and in others he remixed the actual "master" from Teaser.

REdux will have the original mix of the demo versions and are unfutzed with. These are what the Bolin Archives released as From the Archives Vol.1, Snapshot, Come Taste the Man, Bottom Shelf, From The Archives Vol 2 etc. The full track listing is here..

http://www.tbolin.com/reviews/ultimate_redux.html

If you never bought the original archive releases and want the alternative Wild Dogs, alternative Savannah Woman and some great acoustic demos (Standing In The Rain is unfreakingbelievable) then it will be well worth buying for you.

10. metalbob

I don't have any of the Archives material, but it seems like a lot of stuff to sift through. This seems like it might be a good overview of all of it.

I just finished reading the Tommy bio by Greg Prato and it was sort of implied that Whips and Roses might be better as they were "master tapes." I was also led to believe that they were different recordings altogether. The guy who owns these tapes claims to have to have plenty more in the vaults, including jams with Jeff Beck, etc.

Sounds like you are a big fan and probably have read the Tommy bio, Touched by Magic, but if you haven't, definitely check it out.

11. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Bob, as you don't have the Archive stuff, it has to be a great way to fill out your collection. I would go for it.

(yes, I have the Touched by Magic book. If you are interested in the Beck/Bolin jam, you can hear it on youtube. It is not a guitar duel, it is Tommy playing guitar with Bobby Berge on drums and Jeff Beck on Bass)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8woK...C1D96336&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=53

Oh and if you want this jam as a download go to Rampantzone.com and download it for free. This site is run by John Herdt (Bolin Archivist) and Bobby Berge (Bolin & Energy Drummer). Here is a link

http://www.rampantzone.com/bobby/bobby_music.html

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, Redux is a very nice starting place and a fine compilation. By the time I really got into Tommy's work, most of the Archive stuff was out of print. iTunes had a bunch of titles available for download, but even their list of available titles is now getting slimmer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.