IRON BUTTERFLY "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" Drum Solo by Ron Bushy*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Love it, hate it, or haven't heard it?.... (Are there any other choices? :D )

2. jsnruf

jsnruf Forum Resident

Love it.

sewerdog likes this.
  3. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

oh yes, a very memorable drum solo!

4. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

from the Cymbalholic Forum September 7th, 2009, nomsgmusic posted a list of the 25 Most Influential Drum Solos, from an article he wrote for the magazine Modern Drummer, August 1999. Ron Bushy "In A Gadda Da Vida," was on the list.

Neat list! Wish I could see the full article with annotations.

5. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Funny how I was never impressed with it and never put much thought into it; until my son, 18 years old now but about 16 then, told me he heard it and thought it was great. He's been playing bass now for some time (and is presently in a jazz program in university) so now I listen to it with a new set of ears!

:wave:

6. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Great solo and a neat thread.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

ingrained in my mind as much as the little solos in "wipeout".

and i can't think of another drum solo that has stuck with me like those two.

8. ATR

ATR Senior Member

You're pulling my leg, right? Modern Drummer? Wow.

9. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

It was inspired by a track on an Lp called "Missa Luba"..Bushy was impressed by the Drum pattern,so,he'd employed it on "Gadda",in one take!

10. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Ringo Starr must have loved it :angel:

11. Irishtom29

Irishtom29 New Member

I was asked off the stage during an open jam night in a North Side "Blues" club for playing that solo. The people in the bar were enjoying it but the owner, a pedantic middle class white guy from Oak Park who affects a southern accent, was offended.

12. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

At half the length it would have been twice as good. Too repetitive for me.

13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Love it!

14. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

You kids these days have no attention span. I wish it was twice as long!

15. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

It's the "gold standard" of rock drum solos- clearly:righton:

16. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Best rock drum solo of its time. I used to be able to play it perfectly. It set a standard for sure, as the allusion to Ringo relates. The kick drum/hi-hat base gives one a great launching pad. I've shamelessly used it myself ever since, I can't NOT start a drum solo without it.

17. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

My memory is that In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was one of the first eight track cartridge releases so that song was everywhere that summer. I would hear it blaring out of cars at every teen hangout. It was a shared communal experience. We used to cruise in my friends Firebird and he had the eight track also.

Everyone knew the drum solo by heart, so every steering wheel, dashboard, set of knees,etc., became the drumset. We all banged along.

It's a classic drum solo.

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

When I was in High School my friend's band rented the Iron Butterfly practice room in Northridge. It still had Ron's drums in there, same drums he recorded with. I didn't think much of it at the time (being about 10 years over Butterfly) but I was interested on how Ron got his "Sound". His drum heads were coated with flat blobs of some sort of plastic stuff. You know those Jewish bakery cookies with the blob of raspberry goup flat in the middle? His drum heads were like that. When I played them they made that "thunk" sound that he got on 'Da-Vida. It was pretty neat and thinking back on it, there was a Hammond B3 there as well. Pretty cool band-practice room.

Problem is my strongest memory of that room was when my band friends had a big water cooled bong in there with a nice honey flavor. I didn't realize that is was really loaded and got bong-sick as a dog for the first and only time in my life. Cured me of ever wanting to smoke again or hang out there again...

At any rate, great drum solo.:)

Please put the name of the artist when you start threads like these. It helps the search engine..

driverdrummer likes this.
  19. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Love it

20. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

I'm happy I got to see the short-lived 1988 reunion of the In-a-gadda-da-Vida version of Iron Butterfly. Same exact band that played on the album - they did some "warm-up" gigs before the big Atlantic 40th Anniversary show at MSG that year. I saw them at a little club in Poughkeepsie, NY called the Chance. There was almost NOBODY there except for me and a few of my friends. It was a great show! Those guys still had it - Ron Bushy did play a shorter drum solo that night, but it was still great and very enjoyable. I always liked the drum solo - not that it was any kind of great show of "chops", but it is interesting and fun to listen to. When I saw him in '88, he was using a kit that was either made by Staccato Drums (see below) or a variation on the same idea. They looked kind of like this, but a different color. Sounded cool, though!
    --------- Chris

Attached Files:

21. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Best lying on the floor with your head on a pillow between two detachable speakers from the drop-down record player. :D

22. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Bushy

I really like this drum solo. I love the song too.

Scott

23. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Great drum solo. It is really the only one that I will always listen to all the way.

24. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I'm 57!!!

25. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

Okay, so you're a big kid! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.