Hendrix: Dagger Vinyl and Royal Albert Hall cd/dvd announcement

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoundAdvice, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member Thread Starter

MORE GOOD NEWS: Coming up on Record Store Day, April 19 there will be even more reason for Hendrix happiness. Because among the titles being released exclusively for indie record stores on that day is this: LIVE @ CLARK UNIVERSITY, WORCHESTER, MA (March 15, 1968) a five track live album released just for record stores, just for that day!! What are those live tracks? Side A: Fire, Red House, Foxy Lady Side B: Purple Haze, Wild Thing

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.ns...minute-royal-albert-hall-concert-film_1133988

---------------------------------------------------------------

The new GUITAR magazine with psychedelic JIMI cover and Valleys feature article also has a little blurb with McDermott quotes:

HALL PASS

Jimi Hendrix's 1969 Albert Hall performances get the green light for CD, DVD and theatrical release.

Of all the upcoming Jimi Hendrix releses under the Experience Hendrix's new pact with Sony Music, the one that McDermott call "perhaps the most significant project in the near term" will be the DVD and CD release of Hendrix's historic 1969 performance at London's Royal Albert Hall. The film will be issued as a theatrical release, just as in the days of classic rock.

McDermott says, "We have spent a number of years restoring the vast archive of color, 16mm[film] footage of Jimi's two February 1969 performances at the Albert Hall, plus a deep archive of offstage and rehearsal footage. This has been a massive undertaking, but the February 24 performance has long been recognized as one of Jimi's finest ever."

What Makes this film so special is that the Albert Hall dates were planned with cinematography in mind, unlike hendrix's performances a Woodstock and the Isle of Wight Festival. At Albert Hall, McDermott says, "Jimi took care to refine the arrangements and set sound levels. We even have footage of him reviewing sound playbacks that afternoon beneath the Royal Albert Hall stage. He took special care to select his repetoire before performing it on a stage lit for filming. the results look much better than other filmed concerts from the sixties."

In all, McDermott pronounces the forthcoming movie/DVD/CD "wonderful stuff. Fans will appreciate the insight it provides into Jimi's remarkable skill as a guitarist and performer, not to mention some superb playing by Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding."[Alan di Perna]

2. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

About time! But when ? I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe in my lifetime.

Hendrix Sister Collates 106-Minute Royal Albert Hall Concert Film
    JIMI HENDRIX's stepsister JANIE HENDRIX is hoping to resolve an ongoing dispute with British newspaper The Times over a 1969 Royal Albert Hall show in London, so she can release the accompanying DVD.

Hendrix, the president and CEO of Experience Hendrix, has revealed she has painstakingly pieced together a 106-minute film, featuring footage from her late brother's two-night stand at the fabled venue and rare backstage moments.

But she refuses to do anything with it until her legal battle with The Times has wrapped up this spring (10).

The newspaper issued the Royal Albert Hall concerts highlights as a free CD to readers in 2006, and were sued by Hendrix and the estate of her late brother.

The Times publishers lost the case and a cash settlement will be determined in weeks.

Until then, Janie Hendrix has no plans for the DVD.

She tells CelebrityAccess.com's Larry LeBlanc, "We put it (footage) together, and it's over 106 minutes long. It's wonderful."

3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Cant wait for an official RAH release on CD & DVD that'll be a fabulous addition to the collection.

4. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

this sounds incredible!

5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

And great news for record stores! (The above date is wrong, though. It's the 17th.) Worth making a trip to support your local store, like mine, Phoenix Records in Litchfiled, CT.

6. SoundAdvice

I'm a wary that there is no release date - even if they only said "summer" or "fall".

7. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Nowadays i'm too afraid to be optimistic when i hear things about the Royal Albert Hall 1969 DVD.

8. hodgo

Sadly I agree in someways, but one things for sure Sony didn't just sign up with EH for nothing, they want new product out there that will sell and RAH 69 is a sure fire seller, also I think any wrangling EH had over this release, being with might of Sony should help get those issue's ironed out.

9. SoundAdvice

No one seems to be interested int he Dagger vinyl. I mentioned it in 2 other of the ongoing Jimi threads at didn't even get a nibble.

10. Doctor Flang

You know, i've had already enough troubles of sleeping lately, without having to think about the RAH dvd! :D

11. hodgo

:righton: I'm with you there we do take this hobby of ours a bit seriously at times I think.

12. Doctor Flang

You know, back in 2001 when i split with my then girlfriend i kept thinking about the RAH DVD when she attacked me verbally... :D

13. hodgo

:laugh: That has me in stitches what made you equate the two.

14. Doctor Flang

It was kind of "Hmmm...I know i should feel sad and sorry when she's screaming at me for leaving her...but what if i wonder how brilliant the forthcomin' RAH dvd will be?". Homer Simpson does that kind of stuff all the time.

15. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I read that guitar world article the other day,I decided not to post the details of the article.I`ll believe it when it`s set in stone.I was hoping the RAH would be shown in theaters,I`d see it in the IMAX.I`m kind of worried.I`m afraid after all this time they edited the RAH into a modern day reality show in between incomplete songs.:laugh:

16. hodgo

Sounds reasonable to me, we do have to get our priorities right for sure. :righton: :laugh:

17. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I'm interested and will get it ... It is a good spirited early performance -- a particularly strong Red House IIRC.

18. hodgo

I'm interested but being in the UK put's it out of reach.

19. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

As for the Royal Albert Hall CD & DVD, if they happen, fine. If Janie won't permit it, I'll survive. I've already got fully satisfactory unofficial CD releases, and a passable, watchable unofficial DVD.
    More likely(this year) will be a new Hendrix box set, and perhaps another "Dagger" label official bootleg disc.

20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It seems like every year it is announced the RAH is coming out. I'll believe it when I see it....

21. Doctor Flang

I wonder if Gentle Giant will be re-united to be a support act for a Jimi Hendrix movie again.

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Exactly, it will more than likely surface when Neil Young finally issues his Archives. :laugh:

23. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

You mean "Archives Vol.2"?

24. Terry

Terry Senior Member

You guys are one tough crowd. I'll be the optimist and look forward to purchasing this title this year. BTW, put out your flames. They bore me.

25. Doctor Flang

I've been waiting for the RAH dvd/cd since 1989 and there's been quite a few false alarms since 1997 when EH took over and mentioned that it will be released.
    Today I just wondered how i will feel when i finally have it in my hands? After so long wait can i even bear to watch and enjoy it? Maybe part of me will die? Maybe i don't even want it to released!!! :laugh:

Nah, i'm a Grumpy Old Optimistic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.