Transistor Radios

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tone, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone here collect old transistor radios? ..... This Sony TR6 looks very cool.

Attached Files:

2. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Very cool, the TR6 is one of the most desirable collectible radios (just look at the color, styling, font, Sony logo, and the fact that they give - just dripping with late 50s awesomeness).

I have a few, some "pocket sized", others "portable sized" (with a whopping 18 transistors!), but not really a "collection".

I'm at work now, but I'll post a couple of pics later.

My favorites are both Ward's Airline branded. One is a little pocket radio with a leather case, and the other is a bigger "portable" model with decent sound quality and a really cool tuning indicator (push a button while tuning and observe an indicator light change from red to green when a station is tuned-in).

3. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, do post some pics later.

Just curious what the Sony TR6 radios are worth. That Sony Logo is the coolest I've seen. They should bring that one back.

4. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

5. www.records

www.records Active Member

I would love to find one of those Sony TR6 radios. Back in the 90's I guess you could say I collected old transistor radios. I would pick them up at yardsales when I found nice looking ones. They were always just $1-$2. I ended up with about a dozen or so. I still have them somewhere, probably in a box in the garage. My fav was a small red and white pocket radio called a Boys Radio and was all of 2 transistor.

6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Sony

That Sony in the first message is one nice looking radio!!

I believe, tho, that THE most valuable transister radio from the 1960s is a Packard Bell radio in white......the model that they used on "Gilligand island".

I saw one many years ago for sale in a junk store...wish I had bought it!!

7. Mark W.

Mark W. Forum Resident

Here's the only cool one I currently have I had collected up a nice stash of them but ran into a local transistor radio collector who relieved me of them (I got the price I wanted) I haven't been buying any lately to many toys as it is.

[​IMG]

This one was a 50th Birthday present from a dear friend Her dad bought it for her way back in the day. It still works great. But since it uses the long skinny AA size battery I haven't bothered to find one for it. I just run it with the back open if I want to show it off. It's about the size of a filterless camel Cigg pack so quite small. But very well made.

By the way unless other wise labeled this is pretty much the only photo of one on the web. Not real valuable but sure not common,.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Here is mine, the Zephyr.. My first was a Sony just like the one below. First heard LIGHT MY FIRE on it when I was at Zuma Beach..

Attached Files:

9. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

That Zephyr is gorgeous!

10. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

There are different kinds of AA battery?

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I can't find a picture of mine. It was made by Motorola. I found one in white on eBay. Mine was black. My parents must have bought it for me in 1963 or '64. Larger than some transistor radios, it was too big for my shirt pocket. I took it to school every Tuesday so I could start listening to Dan Ingram reveal the new Silver Dollar Survey. He started at 2:00, and played the new #1 song at 2:05. School got out at 2:30, so I had to wait a half hour to hear what was number one that week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MOTOROL...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230119ce20

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

My brother got an AM transistor radio for his 9th birthday.
    All I can recall is a few months later, him taking it apart because
    something was wrong with it.
    Whatever he did he got it to work again.
    Some people just have a knack for these things.
    I bet he still has a few old transistor radios.

Darryl

13. JBStephens

Here's a great website with all kinds of early transistor radios.

http://www.transistor.org/collection/collection.html

When I was a kid, I got a little radio as a present for getting my tonsils out. I'd know if I saw it again, but I haven't ever come across it on any website. And if you remember radios like this, you remember licking 9-volt batteries, and tearing them apart to see what's inside. :D

14. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Cool site. Bookmarked it.
    I remember licking batteries and trying to shock a neighbor kid.
    Can't remember if it actually worked or not.

Darryl

15. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

:confused:Didn't Big Dan PREVIEW the new survey,and Cousin Brucie would do the actual countdown at 9PM?

16. JBStephens

At the army surplus store, they had 180 volt batteries that WOULD shock the neighbor kid! It was conveniently shaped like a large version of a 9 volt battery, and that sucker would sting!

17. Second that, what a beauty.

18. JBStephens

And remember when radios had that "civil defense" triangle on the AM dial? Funny how we thought we needed those.

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

20. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I didn't say Dan Ingram did a countdown. Just that his 2 PM show on Tuesday was when each week's survey was first revealed. I think he got all twenty songs in between 2-6, but no, not in a countdown format.

As for what time Cousin Brucie started, I remember him coming on at 10, but someone showed us evidence here the other day that he moved into Scott Muni's old 7:15 time slot when Scotso left ABC (1965?), which I completely don't remember. Cousin may well have started the countdown at 9. I just don't remember.

21. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

Here's one a Sony TRW-621 from 1960 with the Seiko watch and alarm. It's mint in the box with all accessories and papers. Unusual pocket transistor radio. Pic is from the internet.

Attached Files:

22. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

Wow that looks amazing!

23. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

It's cool and comes with the Civil Defense Preparedness card, how did we ever survive :laugh:

Attached Files:

24. Mark W.

Mark W. Forum Resident

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm pretty sure that my transisitor was a white GE with a plastic cover with the circular dial in the middle. I can't find the exact match on that web site. I know for sure that I had the blue model Panasonic Panapet (my two brothers had one each as well!)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.