Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #9)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here - http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=5328899#post5328899

Just a reminder, this thread (and the 8 that have preceeded it) is for all things classical music. Post what you're listening to, what recordings you recommend, recent purchases, concerts, discuss works, composers, etc.

Also, beginners are welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have. This includes requests for recommendations for particular works/composers, etc.

I also want to thank all of you who have contributed to the past 8 threads. Since I started the first thread in this series last year, I have made a lot of new friends and have discovered a lot of new recordings. It was a new idea for this forum and I am glad it has taken off so well!

:wave:

2. George P

I am happy to report that Princeton Record Exchange (in Princeton New Jersey) has an incredibly large classical inventory these days. I was there over the weekend and they have tons of new arrivals. Also tons and tons of budget CDs. Many of their budget CDs are of great performances too.

I was dissappointed a few months back, when they had very little, but things are going well now. :)

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I saw that an sh.tv member posted about a big classical vinyl sale a friend of his is having. I thought some of you might be interested.

http://iloverecords.webs.com/

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Currently listening to. Anyone else love this Rach 3?

51zhbf8zTGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

5. George P

FWIW, a simple topic search will reveal the 9 threads we have had for classical music, but for those who are too lazy to bother, here's a link to all 9 Classical Music Corner threads we have had:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/search.php?searchid=8428574

In my OP, I stated that I had started the first one last year. I was wrong. Turns out I started it October 26, 2008. Time flies...

6. George P

7. Rose River Bear

I have that one. Great over the top performance. You listen to that and understand why Rach would not play it after he heard VH play it.

8. George P

:agree:

9. Rose River Bear

Currently spin is Disc #10 The Romantic Philadelphia Strings.

51+5CpQ3RHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

10. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Been listening to something unusual for me that I non the less enjoyed quite a lot, in parts it was really awesome and caught my full attention - The newbie that I am had no idea who and what this actually was but it looked good and the the sound is top notch as usual on hyperion. DDD p+c 1990 .
    Enough of my ramblings - anyone familiar with either the artist or the composers and can tell me how you call that stuff ?

Thea King & The Britten Quartet - Clarineto Quintets
    Helios

The record reminds me of Oregon - In Concert from 1980 or so...

Attached Files:

11. Rose River Bear

I have that one. Great British composers. I have the Howells and Holbrooke Piano concertos on Hyperion. :cheers:

12. Rose River Bear

Just saw this on Arkiv. Has anyone heard it yet. Looks like a no brainer.

489190.jpg

13. George P

Stephen Hough, similar Pollini, has nice chops but isn't suited for Romantic piano works IMO.

Pletnev on a cheap Virgin twofer would be a better bet IMO.

14. George P

I have always loved the post. c# minor Nocturne by Chopin. I discovered tonight that I have 11 recordings of it - Arrau, Ashkenazy, Vasary, Wasowski, Ciccolini, Tipo, Pires, Simon, Freire, Boegner and Ricardo Castro.

I compared them and found Wasowski to be my favorite. His has the slowest tempo of all the versions I compared and this helps to create a dark, mysterious mood that works well with this work. Arrau was a close second, with a gorgeous tone and great sound. I also enjoyed Abbey Simon and Ricardo Castro's reading of this work.

15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just placed an order on the following sets last evening ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. George P

Here's a sample of the Wasowski for those who are curious:

http://queencdmastering.wikispaces.com/file/detail/Wasowski+Chopin+Nocturne.mp3

Click the triangle on the bottom left to listen.

17. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set ...

[​IMG]

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Another reason to love Rasputin's—just picked up a 12 LP set of Haitink leading the Concertgebouw in all of Bruckner's Symphonies for just $10. Listening to the Fourth right now.

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Brahms Gilels/Jochum PC 1

Big fan of Gilels but this is not my favorite. I think Friere/Chailly is the best I've heard. An awesome recording! 10/10

20. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set. CD1 was excellent ..

[​IMG]

21. coopmv

Just placed an order on this set this evening ...

[​IMG]

22. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

My second purchase from this label and ensemble:

[​IMG]

23. Baron Von Talbot

That looks interesting !

I found out that large organs are the most demanding instrument, that sheds a very good HiFi set from a truelly great - grand pianos can be a bitch, too - but organs need to move some serious air...of course as usual it depens on the recording.
    In this case the lovely baroc organ from Ottobeuren in southern germany was recorded digital and sounds sweet. You even get an idea of the initimate setting inside the astonishing large space inside ...

Lionel Rogg on GALLO 1985 c 1987 DDD

How do you like how organs sound on your stereo ?

Attached Files:

24. Baron Von Talbot

BZW. just found a very good picture of the large Holy Spirit Organ (one of two Karl-Kosef Riepp build between 1755 and 1768 for this abtei in his hometown - the other one is called the Maria Organ). 8.1 Mb means it is oo large to add here - check this link it is worth it. doubleclick and you are in fo an extra treat.
    The sound is trully lovely...in fact so lovely that both HvK and Leo B amo conductors came to play there ! It is def. the finest organ I heard so far ).What is surprising is that the organs are not in the center or behind the altar but to the sides. http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...GeistOrgel01.JPG&filetimestamp=20090307124110

Opps
    seems the main organ is the maria organ atm. Thi one is in the centre on the empore in the back of the church - a pure organ without the large ornaments and wooden body. Both are excellemt, the booklet doesn't tell which one was used for the recording of this lovely CD. Highly recommended !

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BasilikaOttobeurenOrgel03.JPG

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Valentin Silvestrov: Sacred Works - Mykola Hobdych/Kiev Chamber Choir [ECM 2010, new release]

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.