Brinsley Schwarz....unreleased album "It's All Over Now"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VeeFan64, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy Thread Starter

Brinsley Schwarz is selling an album (CD) called "It's All Over Now", which is went unreleased but was completed. Member Ian Gomm is selling it, but before I purchase blindly, I would like some opinions. Has anyone heard it? How is it????

2. glea

glea Forum Resident

That version of Cruel To Be Kind is pretty silly. It was on a single. the live one looks good, but I don't know if I can spring for these.

3. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Can you post a link?:cheers:

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

SimonSaysCake likes this.
  6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

7. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy Thread Starter

BRINSLEY SCHWARZ - IT'S ALL OVER NOW

The track listings are:

1 We Can Mess Around (Lowe) Nick Lowe - Lead Vox
    2 Cruel To Be Kind (Lowe/Gomm) Nick Lowe - Lead Vox
    3 As Lovers Do (Lowe) Nick Lowe - Lead Vox
    4 I'll Take Good Care Of You (Berns/Ragavoy) Nick Lowe - Lead Vox
    5 Hey Baby (There Playing Our Song) (Holvay & Beisber) Ian Gomm - Lead Vox
    6 Do The Cod (The Thirty Pounder) (Lowe/Andrews/Gomm/Rankin/Schwarz) Instrumental
    7 God Bless (Whoever Made You) (Lowe/Gomm) Ian Gomm - Lead Vox
    8 Everybody (T.Rowe) Ian Gomm - Lead Vox
    9 Private Number (T.Jones/W.Bell) Bob Andrews and Ian Gomm - Lead Vox
    10 Give Me Back My Love (Lowe/Gomm) Nick Lowe - Lead Vox
    11 It's All Over Now (B.Womack) Ian Gomm - Lead Vox

From Ian Gomm himself! Not sure if I wanna cough up the 13.50 GBP.....must be about $21 or $22 for 11 songs....

8. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Looks like a bunch of tracks from their live set plus a few originals. A few of these have been issued (see the BBC set in my previous post). "As Lovers Do" was covered by Dave Edmunds.

Some audio clips from YouTube below:

As Lovers Do (covered by Dave Edmunds - think his version is a bit better)
    God Bless Whoever Made You (not half as good as Jona Lewie's version IMO)
    We Can Mess Around (sounds like a previous version of When I Write the Book)

Oh and their BBC version of "Everybody" is GREAT!!! Wonder how the studio version is?

9. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

10. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I haven't heard it, but it was said in an earlier thread that the version of "Cruel To Be Kind" is not the B-side version.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So...is this really an unreleased album, or an album of unreleased strays?

12. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I thought there was two earlier versions as well but the JOC reissue calls that one "original version". Confusing. Two takes maybe?

Ian Gomm's artwork says that the tracks on It's All Over Now were recorded at Rockfield and the version in the Nick Lowe reissue was recorded at Jackson's. ???

Unless there is a BS expert here I don't think we know for sure. I know that the covers are mostly from their various live sets but Gomm implies that they are studio versions. The originals all seem to be studio tracks. Maybe The Panda will chime in.

13. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

Didn't they release a version under the name Limelight?

I can easily "hear" them doing Hey Baby They're Playing Our Song.

14. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Not sure. "Everybody" is listed as a BS A-side from 1975 in Hen's Teeth (Edsel). Recorded in 1974 at Rockfield just like Gomm's CD says.

EDIT: I see they cut two Beatles songs as Limelight, not "Everybody"

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I have it and LOVE it. Best lp Brinsley ever did. Excellent collection of covers and Nick tuines, except for the pointless instrumental and the aweful title track.

Don't hesitate, it's worth your cash and doesn't sound like some backroom bootleg

16. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

OK, then. Didn't think Everybody was a BS cut, but so it goes.

(Was I Should Have Known Better one of the Beatles tunes?)

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It's done as a very slow gorgeous ballad loaded with harmonies. Nick sings a very rich lead vocal.

18. glea

glea Forum Resident

I've got the single of Everybody.

Please note. The Knees 45 has been mistakenly credited to BS. It's not, it's the Knees, Clive John, Terry Williams and Martin Ace from Man along with Ted and Plum...

19. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I have just read in the Billboard magazine archive:
    http://www.billboard.com/archive?tag=rrailad#/archive?tag=rrailad

I have found in issue December 5, 1970 on page 19 a full page ad "The Great Brinsley Schwarz San Francisco Story" and in issue January 16, 1971 on page 7 an full page apology about the ad of the December issue because they used a quote of a program director who hasn't approved it.

I was searching for an ad about a chart book which was released at the time (not the Record Research books).

20. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Finally got around to buying this unreleased album from Ian Gomm. It's really good. A few of the songs have been pretty easily available but most of them not.

My favorite song is their version of Garnet Mimm's "I'll Take Good Care of You" which Nick Lowe sings in his best soul voice. Really fantastic version.

Some of the best songs got re-appropriated to other projects and those version are probably better. Still cool to hear the Brinsleys do them:

• As Lovers Do (Dave Edmunds) - Brinsleys version is excellent with some orchestra. Very different than the DE version
    • God Bless Whoever Made You (Jona Lewie) - WAY different than the Jona Lewie version. Brinsleys do it in Delfonics or Philly soul style. Still hard to hear anything but the Lewie version for me.
    • We Can Mess Around (Mess Around with Love by Nick Lowe) - classic Brinsleys sound, lots of organ. Again very different than Lowe's solo version. Original has the pub rock sound.
    • Cruel to Be Kind - similar to the original early attempt by Nick Lowe but a little less ragged and better. I like this version slightly better than the hit single but probably only because I've heard the hit too much.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

good job, Mark.
    I knew you'd go for it.

22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Really glad I did. Your comment that its the best BS album is dead on. I keep going back to it over and over.

Since its clearly a finished album did anyone in the band ever comment on why it never got released?

23. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

My guess would be that it remained unreleased because the group broke up shortly afterwards.

24. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

25. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

I have this and it's up there with the other Brinsley albums (esp. the last four). Sounds very polished and that's probably due to it being mixed in the late 80s by Ian in Wales. Makes me think that if they really wanted to go mainstream they could have gone down the irky Paper Lace/Kenny/Mud road - you know the English post-glam mid 70s style. With all those beautiful harmonies they have on there! Mayeb that's why it wasn't released - too
    top 40???

The Bobby Womack cover is your stoned Brinsleys having a reggae laugh I think.

If you think that the Brinsleys were the best band in UK in the early 70s (sorry Macca!) then this is a must to have.

tony Nicholls likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.