Old Rolling Stone magazines - worth anything?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joeriz, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeriz

joeriz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a bunch of old Rolling Stone magazines from the 1980's. Are they worth anything or should I just chuck 'em (or give them away to someone who wants them)? I know it probably depends on the particular issue and the condition but figured this would be a good place to start.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I doubt they're worth much because a) it's Rolling Stone :laugh: and b) you can get every issue ever printed on DVD format with the Rolling Stone: Cover to Cover computer software for about 50 bucks used or less.

3. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

They might sell for a couple/three dollars each sometimes, if it contains something of special interest.

Even the 'classic' period RS '60's '70's issues may not be worth as much you'd think.

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I think if they were from the first ten years or so, they would be worth something in good shape. Especially Beatle related.

5. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

One of my regular places to go sells those for a flat 5 dollars. Even with John Lennon or somebody on the cover.

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

"Paper" is TOUGH to get rid of, at least for anything more than a buck or two except rare issues or particulary desirable cover stars. My local used shop had a mountain of Mojos, Q's, NME, Melody maker, Rolling Stone, Musicial, and others from an estate sale. I picked up a few Mojos for $3 a piece, but it took forever for them to move much of it, and then only after they lowered everything to $1 an issue. After a few months, they still ended up dumpstering a lot of it.

7. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Give them away via craigslist. You'll get more gratification from passing them on to someone who wants them than you'd ever get from selling them for peanuts.

8. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I put a whole box out at a garage sale last summer for $2.00 each. After not selling any the first day I marked them down to $1.00 each. When I saw a young guy looking at them at the end of day number two I told him to take the box. I hope he enjoyed them! They were late 70's and early 80's. I remember Bruce Springsteen being on the cover of one and Sting on one.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I've seen some copies of Rolling Stone issues with Britney Spears covers sell for upwards of $20. Not because I was looking for one, of course, but because I was attempting to sell one. Of course, that was like 5 years ago. You gotta cash in when the getting is good.

10. joeriz

joeriz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, all. The responses are more or less what I expected. I just didn't want to trash them if there was anything of potential value. I like the Craigslist idea.

Thanks very much!

Joe

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

About ten years ago i sold my ROLLING STONE collection that contained every issue from early 1973 to the present. Got $500 and the buyer had me cherry-pick the issues he wanted and I recycled the rest.

12. ZAK_B

ZAK_B Member

A charity shop near me put up in their window single RS issues that had beatles-related covers for £10 each and they must have gone in a couple of days . This is in the U.K though.

13. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

At the record shows I attend RS issues from 1968-1972 routinely
    sell for about $25....the Hendrix, Joplin and Morrison `death' issues
    substantially more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.