Lost: The 6th & Final Season Thread (Part 2)-The End*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -Alan, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I have come to the conclusion, however improbable, after reading many of the posts and thinking, that it was all a dream by Jack.

The survivors did live after the crash and got to know one another and lived some experiences together and then something happened to Jack and he started to dream about all the survivors after listening to their life stories and conjured up all these stories/dreams in his mind.

Dreams are crazy and are often incomplete and mysterious and all the images we saw were really about Good vs Evil and the possibility of redemption. The plane leaving the island was the last image he saw when still alive and some sort of salvation for others and represented hope just as he was about to die.

Do I sound crazy?

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Watched it again: Now, I'm reminded of when our dog died. We were given his paw print, and a card that described this 'magic place' where you will see you dog again, and he'll be waiting for you. I turned to my wife, saying, "Isn't this the biggest load of crap you ever read?", and she was balling her eyes out!
    There IS a whiff of manipulation when you have a tug at the heartstrings, and this is one of those times.

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Actually, if I remember the scene correctly, the water on the GROUND was muddy, but Jack held the bottle under a rock and collected the clean water coming off the rock.

As for the incantation, it probably wasn't necessary -- they're not WIZARDS, they're people. Jacob did it because his mother did it, but Jack had no idea what Jacob was muttering, so he skipped it and did the part he DID understand -- the sharing of the drink and the declaration that "Now you are like me."

Now I'll go read the 30 posts on why the non-muddy water that Hurley drank is more proof that they screwed up the finale.

4. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

So basically you were expecting what to be the end?
    Some guy come out from behind a curtain and explain in excruitiating detail every mystery of where the island is, why its there, what the light is, why its magnetic and all. All we would end up with would be either aliens, magic, or fantasy no matter what. Nothing real could explain the island and all that happened there. It was fictional and quite simply it was Jacob testing them. We as viewers invested a lot into the mystery aspect of the show, and even many I know kept bitching about all the non stop flashbacks and so on. The science of the show was pure fantasy. NO explanation they gave would have done the show justice and frankly they were quite smart to realize this early on.

Would a mean big bad guy explain it all? aliens? magic? Atlantis? What would truly explain it and seem believable while at the same time ADD to the characterization?

Just like "The Village" in the prisoner, tons of mysteries to ponder for years!!

An ending that tied up everything while feeling great at the time of viewing it would seem cheap and make the entire show worthless for the future viewers.

Do you think "The Prisoner" is watched to this day because all mysteries were solved? Hech no..almost nothign was really explained and the ending was hated by quite a few at its original showing.

Im not trying to defend how they ended it as, yes I do agree, it would be "cool" to see a lot explained. But whos definition of cool would it be. :confused:

5. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I think the reason most people noticed that is:
    Does he have to drink dirty water? Cause I wouldn't!

6. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I agree. What we got here was a situation like X-Files were the show got so out of control it was impossible to reel it back in. The only way out for the writers was to pretend it had been a simple little people story all along and to ignore all the stuff that had set it apart from simple little people stories.

7. TimM

TimM Senior Member

It should be the writers definition. That's their job. This was more like Bobby Ewing dreaming an entire season of Dallas.

8. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Please go back and actually read my post, especially the part where I explain that I did not want every mystery solved. I just wanted an ending consistent with the complexity of the world they created.

9. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

That's the issue with many people defending the ending; the assumption that people wanted SOME mysteries solved must mean that they wanted ALL THE ANSWERS. That is not the case.

10. teebo911

teebo911 The Professor

I'm going to post my thoughts here for everyone to think about. I originally posted this in another LOST forum, but since I haven't seen this idea kicked around here, I'll let you all have a go at it...

=========
    Here is my interpretation of what happened in the end of the finale. I believe it to be confirmation of some of the time-loop theories that were going around.

1. Jack dies in the bamboo forest, next to Vincent. Eyes close. Plane flies overhead. An exact mirror of the pilot.

2. In the sideways, we have everyone gathering at the church (same as the Lamp Post?), and there is a shot in which you get a wide view of the church interior, with everyone seated in the pews. Oddly, it is arranged a bit like people sitting in their seats in the cabin of an airplane. The purpose of the Lamp Post was to find the island.

3. This church has stain glass windows that feature, in some spots, what appears to be a donkey wheel. It contains a casket, minus Christian Shephard.

4. The island has a giant light at the center. The church has a giant light behind the door. Christian wants them all to go towards the light. No verbal confirmation of 'where' they are going.

5. A plane flies over Jack as he dies. We are meant to assume it is the Ajira flight. From the perspective shown, we cannot see any identifiable markings on the plane to confirm that. Could be Oceanic 815 again...

6. Throughout the series, there have been repeated scenes where what should have been said the same way was delivered with slightly different words. There were also scenes that seemed to magically change from day to night. Slight differences that could be attributed to the fact that the what we watched was completely non-linear and discontinuous (watching bits and pieces of different loops).

7. A few references to loops throughout the series.

Conclusion: Somebody screwed up, and things did not happen exactly the way they were supposed to. And so the people in the church will head towards the light -> people in a plane heading towards the light -> plane crashing on the island. Jack's eyes open. Vincent is there. They do it all again, until they finally get it right. It only ends once. Rinse, repeat, enjoy.

Overall, I really disliked the finale when I watched it live. The second time through, I enjoyed it much more, although it seemed more sad during the rewatch as a consequence of knowing what you were seeing. It wouldn't have been the ending I would have gone with, but it was still good.

11. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I did, sorry I misread, you didnt want ALL mysteries solved.

I dont think honestly there were ever meant to be a true explanation of the island. Many viewed it as a physical place, some as pergatory, some as imaginary and so on. They did say that Jacob played the game a certain way. It could be a much higher meaning as to "what" the island is and why. If that is true that may very well go along with the ending they chose to create. It may be in fact a physical place but a game, a spiritual journey and so on. I think the didnt cop out so much but they basically reinforced something they creators said all along. It hit us hard beacause we all wanted to find out about the island. I think they never inteneded to explain the island and all the mysterious and totally unreal goings on there......

It wasnt that they cheated us or lacked a good ending, it was what they wanted all along, and perhaps we didnt see it coming.

12. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

I think I need to watch this again when I have the time. It was definitely hard to stay engrossed in the story with loud car commercials every 8 minutes.

I did like the flashes they all kept having that was making them remember each other. I thought that played out well.

13. semidetached

14. teebo911

teebo911 The Professor

15. semidetached

I haven't delved into the list but I think he's right on about the puzzle pieces - it's obvious that watching the entire series again won't reveal the brilliant "a-ha!" moment that many of us thought there would be - it'll just reveal more loose ends and unfinished ideas.

16. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

It looks like the majority of them were UNanswered...

17. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I had more loud movie commercials, iirc...but I agree, watching that last episode without breaks is definitely something all fans should do, if only to allow ourselves total immersion without distractions.

18. One of the problems with a series that isn't planned out from beginning to end and is serialized--ultimately too many ideas that lead nowhere.

I'm reminded of "The X-Files" with "Lost" although, in this case, it didn't over stay its welcome quite as long.

Even if the story is about the "journey" and the "characters" the writers should and could have kept the scripts consistent but I suspect that like Ron Moore with "Battlestar Galatica", they had a very loose idea by season four of where they wanted to go but were willing to take dramatic detours if it added to the momentary value of the series.

I didn't want definitive answers on the minutae of the series just some solid plotting that gave dramatic reasons as to why what occurred occurred rather than "wouldn't it be neat if the Others threw Sawyer in a cage so he can later get it on with Kate"?

As someone pointed out the show found that the audience was more interested in the soap opera rather than the questions and, as such, just paid lip service to the questions with occasionally superificial and incomplete answers knowing that the majority of the audience was looking for emotional pay offs.

The problem with so many writers working on the show and with no one consistently plotting it out from beginning to end with an outline is the dramatic inconsistencies that we've seen with the series.

19. teebo911

teebo911 The Professor

I don't have time at the moment, but later tonight, I will come in and post the answers for the majority of the questions. Yes, there are some that weren't answered, quite a few actually, but many of the remaining unanswered questions didn't even make this guy's list.

20. semidetached

I was just reminded from a friend that the advertising for the Lost box set contains this tagline (which is also printed on the cover itself):

LOST
    THE COMPLETE COLLECTION

[graphic]

ALL THE MYSTERIES WILL BE REVEALED

:laugh:

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You never know: there could be an extra couple of hours of 'conversational' scenes! More 'camp-fire' talk, more 'Miles-Ben-Richard' walking & talking, Kate telling Claire that her mother is out of her coma and taking care of Aaron ..... more NON-
    ACTION!!!

THAT'S WHAT I WANT!

22. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

23. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.