Lost: The Sixth and Final Season-"The End" (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mark, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff Thread Starter

2. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

In the church scene, Miles and Lapidus are missing...was Faraday there?

We've discussed Jacob's methods, but I haven't seen anyone mention he was directly responsible for stopping Sayid on the crosswalk, which may have contributed to Sayid's wife's death...that was a brutal scene.
    Did he distract Sayid when he could have saved his wife, seen the car and pulled her back? Or did he save Sayid's life? If that latter, than why? Why not let him die? So he could somehow be there for Shannon years later, or so he could suffer for his previous sins?

3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

From the prior thread:

I mentioned something similar earlier in the thread. I keyed in on a statement by Ben way back in Season three or so, where he told someone, "This has all happened before and will all happen again." At the time, I took that as an early explanation that it WAS a time loop to play out over and over again.

As we watched the finale and Jack was stumbling through the bamboo, I caught the sight of the sneaker hanging up in the bamboo, and said to my wife, "Watch, Jack will fall down, clutching his side injury, and Vincent's gonna come up next to him." She said, "How did you know that?"

Well, I always expected something about a circular loop.

Harry

4. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

The last shot of the wreckage on the beach and footprints leading back into the jungle made me think that it was possible that the survivors stepped into the light and right back on to flight 815. The way the scene was constructed it made it seem like The Light = Heaven but it's open for interpretation.

5. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

I refuse to give this show more thought than the producers did.

6. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

I don't know much about it, but I believe a lot of this has to do with Buddhist teachings. If you noticed on the window of the church, there were many religious symbols (a Christian cross, a Jewish star, etc.). Among them was the Dharma wheel. From online: "The Buddha is known as the Wheel-Turner: he who sets a new cycle of teachings in motion and in consequence changes the course of destiny."

I may be mixing up Hinduism and Buddhism, but reincarnation seems to play a part, so it may be that the characters are reliving their lives over and over, until they get it right. This is a very simplistic answer on my part, I am aware

7. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Did anyone hear the Geek Time special on Howard Stern's Sirius channel? Apparently Damon Lindelof was on.

8. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

"Isn't this where...we came in?"

Cheers, Michael

9. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Seeing that obviously they gave it quite a bit, to be able to construct over 100 episodes and keep it pretty interesting, great acting, and a story that mostly mades sense, most of the time, says a lot!

I would think it was actually quite a task to do what they did. Dont shortchange them. The ending upset many and many thought it was fantastic. Many understood it, many didnt.

It was not lazy writing, but many wanted it to end the way they "thought" it should end and that is why most are upset. It wasnt a muder mystery and the killer revealed at the end.

It was about life, death, redemption, caring, hating, jealousy, greed and all type of human emotions first and foremost. The island was the "setting", not the main character.

10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I agree! What a corny ending...the bright light, everyone smiling...UGH! :thumbsdn:

11. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

It was actually quite consistent with a nice symmetry and resolution to the ending. But your focus on the mysteries and not the characters, which was the real focus of the show, lead you to an entirely different set of expectations.

12. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Actually, it was just one guy dying, lying on his back with a dog at his side and finally at peace with himself.

Great stuff! :nauga:

13. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Discussing LOST reminds me of a New Yorker cartoon

[​IMG]

When it ran, the magazine got a lot of mail (if I remember the story correctly) trying to solve how the picture could be possible, to solve the mystery. Others (sorry, no pun intended) took it at face value for what it was.

14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

15. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

The "it's about the characters" is ridiculous....of course, it's about them, but it's also about us understanding the events that contribute to the character's growth, and relating to them.

It's hard to understand and relate when details are left hanging. I don't expect everything tied up in a bow, I just expect the writers/creators to be creative enough to explain main storylines and they weren't....too many plot details were left dangling, which is shoddy workmanship.
    And then we get this "it's about the characters" stuff like it immediately forgives the omissions.

Enjoyable finale? Sure, but only because closure...ANY closure..is better than none.

16. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

BTW, was there a better Talk SHow wrap party than Jimmy Kimmel and his interviews with the Lost cast

17. tcj

tcj Senior Member

This guy has some interesting theories about what we all just saw.

Though I vehemently want to deny it, theories revolving around this loop of being dead, judged by the island, and going around again ("this has all happened before and will happen again") are really starting to seem like the more likely answer for Lost. Think about it: when Juliet dies, she utters "let's go dutch," something we come to find out is said by her in what we now know is some form of the afterlife. Desmond is put into an electromagnetic chamber by Widmore, zapped, and glimpses the afterlife we've been seeing, and after that he seems to know that whatever he does, it doesn't matter - what is going to happen is good. Notice he seems to willingly go along with everything, as if it just doesn't matter. Even bending a lot of logic, I can't see how this makes any sense at all . . . unless they're dead on BOTH sides of the timelines. I don't like it, but not much else is making everything "fit" at this point. It would be nice to get something from Cuse and Lindelof at some point, but I fear they're just going to clam up forever about the nature of what's at the core of Lost.

18. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

There were no omissions. Your expectations of what the show was created that feeling in your mind. If you were a scientist you would have felt completely cheated as in the didnt explain anything with any scientific meaning at all.

The entire thing was ONLY about characters. Sure there was a compelling story and mysteries, but that wasnt what the show cared about. It never tried to solve the mysteries. The actual "characters" in the show NEVER cared about solving any of the mysteries, but they cared about leaving the island and getting away from it all. Then slowly they began to realize they were almost happy on this island. The writers didnt go lazy or take an easy way out. They never intended to "solve" mysteries. The characters would have over a few seasons, been shown trying to understand the mysteries of the island all along and they never were.

Many act as if they could have just incorporated into the ending an answer to 25 big questions. Why do that if the characters didnt care about the why or how of the island??

It would have made no sense at all to change the total narrative of how things have been all along. Everything that needed explained was........Many of us expected to be spoon fed the answers or to have some big revelation about everything.

No one knew the origin of the island or the why or how it had strange properties. So how would that have been explained? By a voice over or text scrolling on the screen or what? Many of the big mysteries were not solvable in the context of what the characters knew or were able to find out. Ben didnt know the answers, jacob was not all knowing, charles widmore didnt know the why or how.

So in the end, how could all these revelations even happen? What story line would plausibly explain the origin of the island and the statue, since none of the characters within our story knew??

19. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

It turned into an episode of Touched By An Angel.

20. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

For 6 seasons they presented many mysteries and with few exceptions the characters never questioned or asked for many explanations.

The characters were our window onto the island. If they themselves didnt care enough to try to get detailed answers, why would the ending suddenly change and start spewing out answers?

I think this was quite on purpose by the writers, and they knew the intrigue of not knowing most times is FAR more compelling that the actual answer or truth. If all things had been answered after season 2, honestly would we all keep watching the series?

Now Lost is able to be regarded very highly and will be watched for decades. If they had answered too much stuff, its intrigue and mystery would all fade and it would most likely be regarded a lot lower over the years. It took balls to do what they did. They could have just as easily made up quick explanations and be done with it.

21. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

This thread would have been more interesting as a poll: did you like the "Lost" finale or not? Just from glancing through this thread and the previous thread following the finale, it seems opinion is firmly divided down the middle.

22. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Better yet, did you like the ending or not?

And

Was the ending good or not?

And

Was the ending in tune with the rest of the series or not?

And

Did you truly understand the ending or not?

(( many critics ive read their reviews and they didnt even understand key points in the story that are not up to ones interpretation, but actual plot points ) Seems some missed or didnt understand a few parts of the story.

23. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I liked most of the second half of it,but the whole thing about after life is a cop out to me,that way they can kill off the koreans and leave Ben alive.and those
    endless Hugs and kisses made me sick ,much like those endless scenes from
    each season with cast members returning to the Original beach
    I was hoping the smoke monster ecaped to that dream world and cleaned up
    all that life after death crap

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

wifey here......
    omg find it hard to believe that no one can figure out the POLAR BEAR THING!!
    Ok... here it goes...
    At some point before the dharma people got there, the island had been moved and ended up high in the arctic circle. Since polar bears swim some either "found" their way to the island, or the island emerged where they were.
    Remember when Ben went down it was a frozen wheel scene?
    At some point in time, the island was moved again by a
    bear (who knows, it could have been whipped into moving it ala donkey wheel) but regardless... the bear ended up in Tunisia and died of starvation, leaving any other bears on the newly moved island. Eventually the dharma happened, captured and tried to figure out the bears. IMHO

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:agree: :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.