Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #11)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Wow, we are 11 already! Soon we'll be able to buy cigarettes. :laugh:

Seriously though, if you are new to classical music and have any questions, please feel free to ask! We have many knowledgeable, friendly and non-judgmental classical music lovers here who'd be glad to help. If you aren't new, tell us what you like, what you are listening to and what you have bought recently. We are interested!

Again, I thank all who stop by this thread regularly. It's been great to get to know you guys and what you enjoy! :wave:

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing another CD that arrived from MDT early in the week ...

[​IMG]

4. coopmv

George, you could not have put it any better. We all have positive attitudes here and none of us think we know it all. We are here to share great music.

5. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

No thanx!
    I JUST celebrated 1 year clean after smoking for 30yrs. :righton:
    I save about $200 here in NY with their taxes and such.
    That's now my new Cd's bux. :winkgrin:

6. coopmv

The money saved can get you some nice CD's ... :winkgrin:

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Me too! I quit 6 or 7 years ago. I'm rich now. :laugh:

8. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I stopped smoking around half a dozen years ago, too. But spend all the money on extra / better food...lol..

9. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

10. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I'm enjoying Maria Tipo's piano versions of 24 Sonatas by Scarlatti, recorded in 1976 and 1980. I've got a double LP set released by the Musical Heritage Society from the Italian originals. Really brilliant, spirited performances.

11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i was playing one of my Living Stereo cds from the mid-90s tonight, then one of my
    Living Stereo sacds.it occured to me that while the cd prominently displays the famous
    image of Nipper listening to his master's voice on the gramophone & the words RCA Victor, the sacd shows only RCA, with Nipper nowhere to be found.it seems odd-can
    anyone offer an explanation?

12. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Baron's Nutcracker/Swan Lake SACD from the end of thread 10.
    I'm sure that was part of the 125 disc RPO collection issued with the aid of Tring records in the mid 90's as I bought several of them. The were done on 46 track digital and SBM'd from 24 bit to 16 and do sound very good.

13. Graphyfotoz

It has already....several!! :righton:

I hear that!
    I have gained almost 30lbs and plenty of shade for my buddies! :biglaugh:

14. Graphyfotoz

Ummmm the extra quality SACD sound was too much for His sensitive doggy hearing and He ran off? :shrug::hide:

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Dogs don’t listen to phonographs—They prefer SACDs!

Sure—In the beginning, there was Nipper:

. . . In 1898, three years after Nipper’s death, Francis painted a picture based on a photograph of Nipper listening intently to a wind-up Edison-Bell cylinder phonograph, substituting a disc gramophone for the phonograph. On February 11, 1899, Francis filed an application for copyright of his picture “Dog Looking At and Listening to a Phonograph.”[3] Thinking the Edison-Bell Company might find it useful, he presented it to James E. Hough who, in a move that would eventually result in Edison exiting the record business altogether, promptly said, “Dogs don’t listen to phonographs.” On May 31, 1899, Francis went to the Maiden Lane offices of The Gramophone Company with the intention of borrowing a brass horn to replace the original black horn on the painting. Manager, William Barry Owen suggested that if the artist replaced the entire machine with a Berliner disc gramophone, the Company would buy the painting. A modified form of the painting became the successful trademark of Victor and HMV records, HMV music stores, and RCA. The trademark itself was registered by Berliner on July 10, 1900.[4] (See HMV for a complete history of the brands based on Nipper.) . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipper

Nipper started out as the Logo for HMV in England. As I recall, the RCA use of Nipper in the USA was independent of HMV's use in the UK and elsewhere. If you got an EMI/HMV import in the states, the importer usually covered up the Nipper logo with the importer's name. This sort of thing got out of hand in some cases—some EMI UK product was HMV with Nipper, some was labeled Columbia records. Decca of the UK was a different entity from Decca of the USA. UK Decca co-produced recordings for RCA of the USA. It gets very confusing.

But now, these recordings are all intended for the international market. Nipper's contracts are all chewed up. The company that Used to be Columbia became Sony and that company ate up RCA. So I guess nobody gets the dog these days.

16. Graphyfotoz

GREAT history lesson on His Masters Voice Robin!! :righton:
    Lil confusing but educational just the same.

17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I am going on 13 years. I can't believe how much they cost now however...damn the urge is always there. Nasty habit. :cheers:

18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

so i take it that EMI no longer uses Nipper as a trademark outside the US ?
    it sure seems a shame if the old dog has been retired world-wide.i have some
    HMV lps from the late 70s-early 80s with a really pretty version of the Nipper
    painting on the label. EMI's "recording angel " logo was also very cool.
    by the way, RCA took the dog off their labels for a while in the 70s.i don't
    think there were any legal issues-just a misguided attempt to be "modern".

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

His Master's Voice was retired and replaced by EMI Classics in the late 80's. It had to do with legalities, yes, IINM.

20. coopmv

Ormandy's CD's are notoriously hard to find. I am surprised Sony has not come out with a mega-box yet ...

21. coopmv

Here is an excellent CD of Scarlatti keyboard works by Maria Tipo I own, though the artwork on my CD is quite different. The CD is now OOP with an asking price of over $200 for a new one on Amazon ...

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

Now playing another CD that arrived from MDT early in the week. This is probably that original Goldberg Variations that helped establish Leonhardt as the foremost harpsichordist in the second half of the 20th century. I also have another CD on Pro-Arte, now defunct ...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I see used reissues all over LA stores and Amazon Marketplace for cheap. The Original Jacket Collection from 2008 contains ten CDs.

24. coopmv

Eddie, Are you referring to used CD's? I almost never buy used CD's.

25. coopmv

Placed another order that included the following CD's and CD sets. Russian archives of Gilels, complete Corelli Works, Bach Harpsichord Works and two historical recordings ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.