Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion - "No One Cares" (1959 LP)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Based on the clips, the U.S. stereo "D" cut isn't perfect, but overall I enjoy it. I normally reach for one of those here. The Traugott isn't bad, but it sounds a little "busy" for lack of a better term, from something being boosted a little too much. The MoFi is decent. I prefer the '84 UK to the Wally overall. Larry's remix is nice overall, and one of the better sounding mix/mastering wise of Sinatra/Capitol CD's. IIRC, the tracks on THE CAPITOL YEARS 3 disc set from this album even sound a little better. The UK 21 disc set version seems like it might have a touch of limiting, but sounds good overall.

The mono, which I agree with Matt re sharing mics with the stereo version, is a somewhat interesting, alternative mix. Not essential to have like the previous mono versions for their unique mic setups vs. the stereo, but worth having for me as a supplement to the stereo versions.

2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I'm going to pull out THE CAPITOL YEARS 3-disc set and have a close listen today, my god the Sinatra catalogue seems to get more complicated every day. :laugh:

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  3. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

As far as vinyl goes, my favorite cut of "No One Cares" is the original US stereo with D2#2/D2 matrices.

4. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Interesting, SO he does, I've never noticed that before, on all the other discs I have with "The One I Love" Frank sings " Have" even on the two "Vegas Live Discs 1 and 3" I think I prefer the uptempo versions found on the Vegas discs and the "Reprise Box"

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Tina, it's a question of "the hands I HELD" vs. "the hands I HOLD." The former was a lyric mistake that Frank made when he recorded the Capitol version under discussion. It was corrected by an intercut from an alternate take when the song was first released on vinyl (SINATRA LIKE NEVER BEFORE from Longines Symphonette in 1973), and that's what's heard in the UK 21-CD box set (on two different discs). However, all US CD issues to date have missed the intercut.

6. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Whoops -That's what I meant Bob, I was in a rush and having a blonde moment, and I'm not even blonde... at the moment.

Thanks for the explanation , interesting.

OldCoder likes this.
  7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I've made a significant update to page 4 of the NO ONE CARES site regarding the "bonus track," THE ONE I LOVE (BELONGS TO SOMEBODY ELSE).

8. MLutthans

^^^^^^^^Some pertinent text from here:
    Matt

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I resemble that remark. :D

10. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

the line of the day...

11. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Personally, I prefer my French clams in a bouillabaisse....

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

LIKE NEVER BEFORE was actually a bonus LP which came with a 10-LP box set from Capitol Record Club (i.e. Longines Symphonette) titled SINATRA: THE WORKS.

The_Works_1.jpg The_Works_2.jpg

13. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Anybody know if that's any good, sound quality wise?

A couple months ago I passed on a three dollar copy of that box, being unsure if they were original Sinatra recordings, or instrumental remakes (the booklets were gone.) The LP labels offered scant information. Not even songwriter credits, just plain titles. :help:

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I can't answer the first question, Greg, but see here for a description of the contents.

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have the LP but haven't played it in AGES. If you really need an opinion on the sound quality I can listen to it this weekend. (As I recall it's pretty good).

16. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Well, that'll be up to you.:) Thanks anyway.
    It's only relevant to me upon such time as I run into another copy.

I should have just put down the three bucks and got it when I could, but I didn't want to wind up with a worthless bulky LP box set to figure out how to dispose of.

I guess I shouldn't derail the thread anymore, and turn it back over to No One Cares.:wave:

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The LIKE NEVER BEFORE LP? I haven't played it in a long time, but I remember some nasty Duophonic on there, of mono only material.

18. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Matt, please don't forget to post your findings for No One Cares on your scorecard page. Thanks!

19. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Thanks. Can't say I'm at all surprised.

20. MLutthans

Back to NO ONE CARES: I was going through my overly-full e-mail inbox, and I came across two e-mails from our friend ArneW from way back in *MARCH!* I have now added his LP sample and his 3.75 ips tape sample, both on the front page for this album.

Thanks, Arne, for contributing. Sorry I lost track of those, and hopefully you are still speaking to me! :) That reel-to-reel sounds surprisingly good, with warm tone and plenty of bass. Very nice!

Matt

21. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Was there a consensus reached on these?

I picked up a yellow label SM series LP of this album, and I think it sounds pretty okay. If a bit loud and almost over dynamic, The Voice stiffly propelling forth from the speakers. If that was an attractive quality would probably depend on the listener.

A smoother vintage cutting may be best.

22. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

Yes...here is what Matt had to say....

23. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I found a M- mono copy of No One Cares (9:00, "Long Playing High Fidelity") over the weekend for $4. H1 stampers. It's a bit "wet" as described in earlier posts, but it was in such nice condition I couldn't leave it in the bin.

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

H1? Shouldn't be. Maybe N1?

25. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I'll double check this evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.