The Motown Story, Vol. 1: The 60s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Well, I finally bought this set. Even though I am disappointed with all the stereo (yeah, I know it's supposed to be like the original LP), I will go on record as finally being satisfied with the stereo remix of "My Girl", even though the background vocals still aren't loud enough. On this version, the song finally runs the full length of the single with the proper fadeout and just a second or two more to add! The EQ is also much closer to the mono mix, for once.

It IS a suitable replacement for the lousy 60s stereo, and a worthy counterpart for the official mono single mix. I do wish more of the stereo remixes sounded like this instead of squeaky clean.

There are also a couple of extra gems added to this set, including a slightly longer "Mr Postman". "Marvin Gaye's "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow" is very clean.

Except for one song, the whole set uses stereo mixes, some of which are new ones.:mad:

2. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I thoroughly enjoy this set. I had not heard the original album before buying it. The interviews provide some neat context for the songs, brings them alive a bit, provides a reminder that these are unique slices of pop music. Just like listening to a really good radio show. And you know what was the best touch? Putting the instrumental beds of music underneath the interviews, like you are listening to the band warm-up. Then, when the interview snippet ends, they charge right into the performance. Very cool.

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Guys,

How are the levels and EQ choices on this set?

Thanks!

Bob :confused:

4. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I have this set on LP. When I finally got a new turntable. LPs from this set were the first LPs I listened to.

5. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I hope someone will answer you, Bob. Personally, I've listened to the set a lot and have not been put off by the sound. However, I have never even thought of this one as being a potential source for the "best available versions" of these particular songs, if only because the appeal to me is the interviews, which are part of the individual tracks as far as the disc indexing goes. So, in the end, I listen to this set as a continuous program to be experienced as a whole, and have not been concerned with dissecting it and doing comparisons. All in all, pleasing to these ears, but I have also been happy with most Motown front-line releases from the past three years or so in that regard.

6. Grant

The differences between the old LP set and this new CD are:

the main narration is now handled by Smokey Robinson, Lionel Richie, and Pat St. John Harry Weigner wrote some new narritave parts

there are some new interviews blended in with the original ones

on the new CD, the interviews do not overlap the actual songs

the new CD has a new introduction

7. Grant

Well, I DID buy this set for the songs/mastering. The EQ choices are non-fatuiging. I loaded up "My Girl" in Audition and this set is NOT compressed or peak maximized AT ALL! Yaaaay! :edthumbs:

I think you'll like them.

One thing: if you get this set, the songs themselves do not have their own track numbers. To get to the song you have to get past the interview/song introductions. This is where a computer editor comes in handy!

8. Grant

The more I listen to this set, the more impressed I am with Suha Gur's mastering. Obviously, he tried to get the stereo mixes as close to the mono singles as possible, and the mono singles are dead-on. The ONLY distortion on the set is the distortion you hear from the tapes themselves. They are a FAR cry from those UC CDs!

The stereo mix of "Heatwave" is the best I have ever heard! Seriously, If Harry and Andy keep getting the stereo to sound this good, they could make a convert out of me, as long as they don't make those awful remixes like they did on the recent Diana Ross & The Supremes #1's. And, I still don't like some of the original stereo mixes.

One complaint I have is that there isn't enough murk and goosh on "Fingertips Pt. 2". And, i'll have to listen again, but this set contains a STEREO mix of the hit version of "Jimmy Mac"!

Again, I feel this show would have been more authentic if they had used all of the original mono singles, but, oh well...

I'm listening to "My Guy" right now, and i'm starting to get the feeling that Motown has been secretly remixing songs all this time because this song runs longer. The vocal drops out on the fade and the music keeps going. It is stereo and sounds more like the mono. Oh, if they could have just stayed true to the original mixes on that DRATS #1...oh well...

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Are all of the songs on here on the Hitsville USA box set? If so, you could edit-your-own mono story.

10. Bob Lovely

Grant could call this project:

"The Historically Accurate Motown Story - the 1960's"

Bob :)

11. Grant

That's exactly what I was thinking while driving home last night. As a coincidence, every song here IS on the Hitsville box.

But, I am one of those who do not feel that the box is the holy grail of sound of the mono mixes.

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Are you aware of any other CD releases that are "better"?

13. Grant

No, I don't, TBO, but as a couple of others have stated, they do boost the treble on a few songs. I have always felt that the box was a bit on the mellow side. The second volume of the boxed set (whih no one here ever mentions except me) is spot-on.

14. Grant

Turns out that "Jimmy Mac" is the mono mix. But, the mastering is dynamic!

15. Bob Lovely

Grant,

Are there cue points between the interviews and the music tracks?

Bob :)

16. Grant

Pthhh! Record companies haven't used index markers on CDs since the mid-80s! No index points. You have to use the FF button to get to the beginnings of the songs, and some of them are TIGHTLY edited! Well, if you don't have a computer audio editor, there's always the razor blade...

The interviews leading up to the songs do have track numbers, so it isn't that bad.

17. stever

stever Senior Member

Then what are the pros and cons of Hitsville vs. Motown, Vol. 1? I want to buy one of these, but just don't know which one!

18. Grant

Seeing as how the Hitsville box is four CDs long, it obviously has MANY more songs, and all true, authentic MONO single mixes. get the Hitsville box!

19. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member

Interesting, as Mr. Gur mastered some of the Verve CD reissues of Ella Fitzgerald in the 1990's, most of which are notorious for being shrill and bright. Evidently he's learned a thing or two since.

20. Grant

Since Suha Gur started with Motown in the mid-90s, his mastering "sound" has been mellow. Perhaps those Ella Fitzgerald Verve albums were shrill to begin with.

21. stever

stever Senior Member

Hey Grant, the detail you're able to provide on Motown recordings is just incredible -- thank you very much! Now I just need to find a decent price on the box -- and this is four separate CDs contained in a box, unlike the Smokey, Four Tops, Supremes, book-like style -- correct?

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Uh, sure, Grant.

He's the guy who also combined the channels in mono to throw everything out of phase..

23. Grant

Heh! I got the connection! ;)

So, you don't think his work is mellower, or warmer on the Motown stuff? I do.

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, but that's not saying much.

Sorry to be bitchy, but a mastering engineer shouldn't LEARN on the job. He should know what to do BEFORE he actually masters anything...

Grant, I'd hire you before him any day.

25. Grant

The Motown box is in either an old-style boxed set with four seperate CDs, or in a notebook-type "box". It is still in print, too. Either way, it's the same thing. Prices range anywhere from about $34-$54 new, retail.

If you have any interest in 70s and 80s Motown, pick up the secomd Hitsvill box too. Lots of hard to find or rare stuff on that one too. It was also remastered by Bill Inglot and Dan Hercsh. Where else can you find gems like Syreeta's "Harmour Love"?:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.