CSNY 1974 Tour Box Set Coming - 1974-08-23, Stadium, Tampa, Florida

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David P. Hill, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident Thread Starter

No release date yet.

From the website: http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/

MONDAY, JUNE 28, 2010
    CSNY 1974 Tour Box Set Coming

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    @ Summer Jam West - August 3, 1974

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's 1974 summer tour was unprecedented in many ways with a huge sound system able to blast tens of thousands at outdoor stadiums. The Bill Graham produced spectacle went on to usher in the massive rock and roll extravaganzas that so many other acts would later follow.

Now comes word that a box set of CSNY's historic 1974 tour will be released by the end of the year. Planned as a three CD and a DVD set, the box is being put together by Joel Bernstein and Stanley Johnson from eight full shows from that tour.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    1974-08-23, Stadium, Tampa, Florida
    Photo Gallery by John Gellman Photography

From The Columbian by Alan Sculley:

“This CSNY thing is going to eclipse almost everything else,” David Crosby said. “I think it’s going to be just pretty much beyond belief. What I’ve heard, I was just stunned.”

“When you really hear them now, it’s just astounding,” he said. “The stuff that they’ve played me, I can’t even believe how … good it is.”

2. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!

3. If it actually finally happens that'd be amazingly great news. Personally I'd love, even more to be honest, to hear more from the earlier live era that gave us "Four Way Street"- one of my favorite albums ever.
    I'll be thrilled to hear anything from '74 as well to be sure. I read an interview with Graham Nash where he talked about trying to find the best work from that period & that it was difficult going back through it because the cocaine & ego issues were just so in your face present & palpable. From what I've heard & seen there's still great stuff in there, and I'll be only too glad to find out on this box set.

4. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I can see why Tampa was picked from a Neil Young point of view. No Pushed it Over the End, Hawaiian Sunrise or Love Art Blues. Only Homefires was performed of his unreleased songs. Compared to Roosevelt Raceway 1974-09-08 it's a less interesting setlist, though I've not heard it from a performance point of view.

5. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Set list from Tampa......... Love The One You're With / Wooden Ships / Immigration Man / Helpless / Grave Concern / Johnny's Garden / Walk On / Almost Cut My Hair / Teach Your Children / Only Love Can Break Your Heart / The Lee Shore / Guinnevere / Simple Man / Our House / Human Highway / Homefires / Old Man / Myth Of Sisyphus / You Can't Catch Me>Word Game / Déjà Vu / First Things First / Down By The River / Black Queen / Pre-Road Downs / Revolution Blues / Carry On / Ohio

From Roosevelt Raceway.......... Love The One You're With / Wooden Ships / Immigration Man / Helpless / Military Madness / Johnny's Garden / Walk On / Almost Cut My Hair / Teach Your Children / Only Love Can Break Your Heart / The Lee Shore / Time After Time / Southbound Train / Another Sleep Song / Our House / Hawaiian Sunrise / Long May You Run / Ambulance Blues / Old Man / Change Partners / Myth Of Sisyphus / You Can't Catch Me>Word Game / Suite: Judy Blue Eyes / Déjà Vu / First Things First / Don't Be Denied / Black Queen / Revolution Blues / Pushed It Over The End / Pre-Road Downs / Carry On / Sugar Mountain / Ohio

6. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

To clarify: the box set "is being put together by Joel Bernstein and Stanley Johnson from eight full shows from that tour", according to the story - the references to the shows from August 3, 1974 & August 23, 1974 come only from the two captions on the Thrashers Wheat page ABOVE the story.

We could, therefore, be getting material from any point(s) in the tour - possibly even including Wembley Stadium on September 14th (which would represent an interesting turnaround, given the bandmembers original views on the quality of their performances that day, chemically & musically ;)).

Is there any info already out there on what shows were filmed &/or multi-tracked, besides Wembley?

7. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Your right, I really need to properly wake up before I start posting...... Will be interesting to see the tracklist. I wonder how much unreleased material Neil will allow on here bearing in mind Archives 2 falls under this timeline.

According to Joel Bernstein in Shakey, a 'number of shows were recorded'.

8. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

:D

No problem - I don't fully come to life before 9am most days myself (which is why I'm posting on here, when I should be doing some proper work! :))

Actually, the title of the thread misleads in that direction too - could the original poster amend it (hi David! :wave:), or do we need to get a gort on the case?

9. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

I've only heard/seen the Wembley concert from this tour... I hope the rest of the shows were better!

10. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I'd sure like to think they would mine multiple shows from the tour.

I'd be tempted to go heavy on the Neil, there were so many cool tunes like Love Art Blues and much of the On The Beach album. (...Don't Be Denied featured the Oh Canada verse, and Sugar Mountain is luscious with harmony vocals on the chorus. I was kinda partial to the Denver tapes for that reason.) We might get our first legal CSNY Down By The River.

Wembley seemed really tipped towards Graham Nash, possibly because it was a homecoming of sorts, but I felt his power vocal highs can be a bit overwhelming at times. (The Joni guest vocals didn't seem to do much for the songs)

Myth Of Sisyphus is a personal fave, but I felt some of the instrumental arrangements like Johnny's Garden were a bit pedestrian.

11. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

12. rogermcnally

rogermcnally Forum Resident

I was at the show at Wembley and it was sorta fun at the time. I have it on dvd too and its awful.

'Please keep it quiet during the acoustic stories' said one of them. People were talking for a reason - boredom! Stephen Stills does an awful endless song want's to be 'It's Alright Ma'...major ego problems there. Nose candy strikes again!

It goes without saying that Neil Young was head and shoulders above the others. Joni with Tom Scott and The Band, also on the bill, were so much better.

But, each to their own and I hope the Tampa show was much better :)

13. jacksondownunda

..At very least, this may be the closest we'll ever get to hearing the legendary "lost" 1974 CSNY album ("Love Art Blues" or "Human Highway" or whatever the heck it was called.)
    You know, the one that was "going to make Deja Vu sound like child's play" (Cros again!). Hopefully Bernstein will have such an agenda in assembling the beast.

14. GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa Forum Resident

To be pedantic, there is a CSNY version of Down By The River featured as one of the video clips on Neil's Archives.

15. jacksondownunda

Oh yeah! That one's probably much closer to the 'original intent' of the tune, and it's kind of a pity there wasn't a studio cut (that we know of) in the very early life of CSNY.

I found the '74 version very, uh, restrained/perfunctory compared to the fire of the earlier CSNY and Crazy Horse versions. It seemed odd to hear it clock in at 6-ish minutes.

16. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Well this is definitely exciting news but honestly, I thought they've sounded better in recent tours than in the bootlegs I have from the 70s, some of which were recorded pretty cleanly.

17. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

I attended the Roosevelt stadium concert in Jersey City NJ. I recall Crosby and Nash being very boorish ...Telling the crowd to shut the f**K up..We are musicians and we need quiet to play our acoustic guitars...After a lame attempt at singing a dirge like song no one knew they told the crowd f.u. we will play (sloppy)electric all night.. I loved those guys at the time but i was a bit put off ....Ruined the whole thing...

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

They got to be pretty full of themselves by then, did'nt they? :sigh::shake:

19. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I saw them on their reunion tour at the Capital Center in DC and it was one of the best concerts I've been to. There were no nasty comments issued to the audience by the band as mentioned earlier. The DC crowd was attentive and appreciated their wooden music as much as their electric. It was like attending several concerts in one as they played together, then spilt up to play individually or as a due (Crosby & Nash) and then finished together. It was a long concert, but awesome. As stated by an earlier poster, Neil Young was clearly the star of that night, when he played a solo set near the show's end. I hope they include something from the DC show. I am definitely looking forward to this release!

20. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Amazing news!

21. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

This is great news BUT if Neil is not actively involved in compiling the set, I'll bet it will be extremely light on NY material both released and unreleased songs. Just my thoughts.

22. rogermcnally

rogermcnally Forum Resident

'wooden music' - well put :D

23. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

OK. Neil. "End of the year." What's the over/under? End of 2014?

I shall wait....though....

24. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

Fantastic news !
    Only for the Neil Young's songs : "Pushed It Over The End", "Traces", "Love Art Blues", "Hawaïan Sunrise" were all new songs played by the whole band.
    Other solo songs were great in a CSNY context, "Old Man", "Change Partners", "Lee Shore" (whole band arrangement), "Walk On" and the best of the bunch : "Don't Be Denied"

25. Gene

Gene Active Member

Wow, not me... Stills could still sing in '74, his voice is shot now.. Have you heard the recent CSNY Deja Vu live album from the Living With War tour? He can barely croak out his lines in 'Wooden Ships'. Also the reason why they no longer do 'Suite: Judy Blue Eyes' live...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.